SASS Wire Forum

Bottom Line: Is GF legal in Frontiersman?

Renegade Roger

I have just started shooting BP and having a blast.  I have two Navy 51's and have thought of doing Frontiersman.  I shoot FC in GF mode.  The handbook says Frontiersman is two handed, Duelist or Double Duelist.  Searching through the forum I've come across several mentions, and videos of people shooting GF.  Is this just a local club category and banned in sanction matches? 

Nope

You can shoot FCGF with yer cap guns

Some local clubs offer Frontiersman GF

--Dawg

1 hour ago, Renegade Roger said:

I have just started shooting BP and having a blast.  I have two Navy 51's and have thought of doing Frontiersman.  I shoot FC in GF mode.  The handbook says Frontiersman is two handed, Duelist or Double Duelist.  Searching through the forum I've come across several mentions, and videos of people shooting GF.  Is this just a local club category and banned in sanction matches? 

I could not find where Frontiersman may be shot two handed.

Frontiersman Category

Frontiersman Rules:

- Any main match percussion revolver with fixed sights.

- Revolvers must be shot Duelist or Double Duelist style.  See Duelist description for required shooting technique.   

SHB p.10

3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

NOW, With Tongue stuck firmly in cheek, Frontiersman Gunfighter is ..... sort of .. um .. kinda .. Double Duelist .. almost  :rolleyes:

From the writing i think you need to back off the coffee a little...But, if I thought I could handle one in each hand, it might be interesting to try...Something very new to me...Shooting cap gun with right hand...Must be quite a sight, With Tongue stuck firmly in cheek...When are the pictures coming...

Texas Lizard

Dang TL.  I've never been ablate post pictures.  Prairie Dawg as mucho photo of us shooting Gunfighter Cap Gun .... with Snubbies no less.  Cap Guns RULE!!!  Maybe and perhaps the Dawg will chime and post some photos.

36 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Dang TL.  I've never been ablate post pictures.  Prairie Dawg as mucho photo of us shooting Gunfighter Cap Gun .... with Snubbies no less.  Cap Guns RULE!!!  Maybe and perhaps the Dawg will chime and post some photos.

I do have some things to send your way for tuning...Hopefully you are not too busy...And snubbies do sound interesting...Pictures so sound good, but can we get some good looking cowboys in them...Cowgirls would be better...

Texas Lizard

One may compete in Gunfighter category using percussion revolvers.  One may not shoot gunfighter style in Frontiersman category.  One may use double duelist style in either Gunfighter or Frontiersman categories.

...unless of course the match is allowing additional nonSASS categories....

You gotta get the distinction between categories and styles!  ;)

Coffinmaker & his snubbies -- Gunfighter:

coffin.jpg

Prairie Dawg & his snubbies -- Gunfighter

angels3.jpg

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

NOW, With Tongue stuck firmly in cheek, Frontiersman Gunfighter is ..... sort of .. um .. kinda .. Double Duelist .. almost  :rolleyes:

Frontiersman Gunfighter is....sort of...two-handed as well.  Just have to have a gun in each.:D

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

IMG_20190224_101919.thumb.jpg.0bb3b13dd51e8d518907ddc26909d59c.jpg

I'm your Huckleberry

Bruce, is that the loading lever fashioned into a knife? That is too cooL!

Hey Coal Tar Kid:

At Tusco we shoot 5 pistolas (No Shotgun cuz JW never shot one)

I've been known to shoot it with 5 cap guns.

Lotsa loadn' & lotsa fun!

--Dawg

13 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

IMG_20190224_101919.thumb.jpg.0bb3b13dd51e8d518907ddc26909d59c.jpg

I'm your Huckleberry

Better make sure that your aim is good when you try to "stab" that thing back in your holster:lol:

11 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Hey Coal Tar Kid:

At Tusco we shoot 5 pistolas (No Shotgun cuz JW never shot one)

I've been known to shoot it with 5 cap guns.

Lotsa loadn' & lotsa fun!

--Dawg

Tusco is on my list of clubs I want to try to get to one day. 5 pistols would be a hoot; I have quite a few cylinders and a bunch of cap guns.

CTK:

Be a pleasure to have you shoot with us!

First Saturday of the month!

--Dawg

Archived