SASS Wire Forum

Sometimes a movie quote rings true

Utah Bob #35998

For me anyway.

Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.

As much as we denigrate them, we have a Republic because we have those folks in Washington, a Democratic Republic because they are elected by the people. Some governments corrupted the term democratic republic, such as the former GDR.

We are a Constitutional Republic because, well you know.

When I hear anyone say we are a "democracy" I want to educate them. Often in my fantasies of that education it comes with a boot to the rear of their pants.

Image result for i pledge allegiance to the flag

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I hear anyone say we are a "democracy" I want to educate them. Often in my fantasies of that education it comes with a boot to the rear of their pants.

Since I am in New England, my town is a Democracy because at town meeting and school board meeting, all residents eligible to vote can come and vote on every issue on the agenda.

55 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Since I am in New England, my town is a Democracy because at town meeting and school board meeting, all residents eligible to vote can come and vote on every issue on the agenda.

I would term this a "democratic process"...or Chaos...:D

42 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would term this a "democratic process"...or Chaos...:D

Works okay on a small scale.

But as population and distances increase it becomes impractical and unmanageable.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Works okay on a small scale.

But as population and distances increase it becomes impractical and unmanageable.

Unfortunately that is true. That's partially why China couldn't hold onto a democratic form of government.

Archived