SASS Wire Forum

Navy Arms 1866 loading gate problem

Bugler

I shot my Dad's Navy Arms 1866  that we bought for him in 1970-1 in a local match today and the tiny screw that holds the loading gate to the sideplate is now somewhere out on the range.....does anyone possible know the pitch of this screw? a 2.5 mm is just a tiny bit too small, (3mm is too larger) and I cannot find any inch patter screw to replace it with.

VTI shows 2 different screws, one is .90 and the new larger is .115 thousandths.. (The screw hole in Dad's rifle mics out at .92 thousandths)

I know many gun screws use their own pitch, but I was always told that the very early Navy Arms were all metric......

I need your eagle eyes and knowledge to get Dad's rifle running again...........

Thanks everyone!

Bugler

I have a 1866 emf and had the same problem and ordered a screw from vti, and it worked. It was made in 1974. Use loctite to make sure it doesn’t come loose.

Those little screws are sure expensive.  I would go with the smaller diameter screw,as VTI shows that for pre 2005 rifles.  Worse case, you return it for the larger one if it doesn't work.  The other thing is that Uberti changed the specs on their rifles many times over the years, so it can be a problem getting parts.  Call VTI.  They may be able to give you more information.  They are pretty helpful.

Take the loading gate to your friendly ACE hardware & check their screw assortments.

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

Take the loading gate to your friendly ACE hardware & check their screw assortments.

Bingo! If they can't match it the next place I would try would be a electronic supply store.

2 hours ago, Bugler said:

one is .90 and the new larger is .115 thousandths.. (The screw hole in Dad's rifle mics out at .92 thousandths)

BTW, I think you meant .90 and .115 INCHES.   

.155 thousandths is very, very, very small.  

OPPS!

I stand corrected on that one....

Bugler

I'm thinking finding one at the hardware store that is a perfect fit for the gate hole and for the countersink in the sideplate as well might not be easy.  Just order the small screw from VTI, that's the one you need.  On the plus side, having the small screw means you also have the indestructible loading gate tab!  :)

Order the small screw from vti that fits the uberti 66. It will have the correct contour and length. Clean the screw and the hole with break clean and assemble the loading gate with blue lock-tite. The loading gate also serves as a cartridge stop and will shake loose if not locked in place. Don’t forget to use gunsmithing screwdrivers.

I have ordered 2 of them from VTI, replace the lost one and have a spare in the tool box. Will certainly use some Blue Loctite on the replacement screw.

Isn't it interesting how such a tiny thing can cause such a major calamity on the line?

Yesterday's match had a number of guns with problems.....like a massive rash breaking out all over the place. I was just one of a number of folks.

Bugler

15 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I think you meant .90 and .115 INCHES. 

I am certain the OP actually means 0.090 inch.     Zero(s) between a decimal place and a number are real important to keep track of.

Yes, the smaller VTI screw is what you will need, most likely.  

If the original loading gate is still installed and has not been reinforced with braze or solder or epoxy, it would be good to get a new loading gate as well.  Most of the early 66s that Uberti made would break the cartridge stop (the bent tab on the tail of the gate) clean off within the first few magazines of firing.   The, on receipt of the new gate, reinforce it.   I rough up the back side of the gate at the tab with sandpaper, then mix up quick-set J-B Weld epoxy and form a "fillet" of epoxy on the tab and down slightly onto the gate backside itself.  That will reinforce the area and the gate will run for years. 

Small screw - order the small hole loading gate.  Large screw - then get the large hole gate.

I think that particular thread on the small screw is 2.5mm (dia) and 0.45mm pitch, and you will NOT likely find it at Ace or True Value hardware stores.  Don't force any US thread screw into that gate, you will rethread the side plate if you do.

Good luck, GJ

The loading gate itself was remanufactured by John Linebaugh himself and he fashioned mine directly from an original '66 he has...don't

think there will EVER be a problem with this one. Ordered 2 of the small screws, one to put into the gun and another for a spare....I will clean and apply blue loctite when they arrive.

Thanks to all for helping!!

Bugler

Archived