SASS Wire Forum

"They're All Gone"

Subdeacon Joe

I found it worrisome that

the people entrusted with launching nuclear missiles could not figure out how to put a key in a keyhole.

Did you have to be belted into the chair to make it work? I watched that, wondering if it was to make sure that one person could not operate both keys.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

the people entrusted with launching nuclear missiles could not figure out how to put a key in a keyhole.

Did you have to be belted into the chair to make it work? I watched that, wondering if it was to make sure that one person could not operate both keys.

The key bothered me. I am pretty sure this was a video of someone that had been newly trained. This actually may have been a video of the trainees final test.

Regarding the strapping in. What the Air Force and the Navy found was that people would go to the point of actually turning the launch key to “LAUNCH” and then they would decide they couldn’t do it. They might even decide to take the other person out. The Navy doesn’t strap in on surface vessels. I don’t believe they do on subs either.

That guy standing to the rear would be armed. His job is to shoot the person that decides they will not turn the key and take over. The theory is once once is shot the other will comply.

37 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The key bothered me. I am pretty sure this was a video of someone that had been newly trained. This actually may have been a video of the trainees final test.

Regarding the strapping in. What the Air Force and the Navy found was that people would go to the point of actually turning the launch key to “LAUNCH” and then they would decide they couldn’t do it. They might even decide to take the other person out. The Navy doesn’t strap in on surface vessels. I don’t believe they do on subs either.

That guy standing to the rear would be armed. His job is to shoot the person that decides they will not turn the key and take over. The theory is once once is shot the other will comply.

Two keys must be turned. The strapping in is so that one person can not run back and forth managing both stations and cause a launch.  Just conjecture here because my involvement in the two man rule was somewhat different.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Did you notice that the bow is asymmetric?  And that the long part of it goes UP?  Most keys like that the long part will go DOWN.  I have a feeling that it was done intentionally to cause people to have to think about what they are doing.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The strapping in is so that one person can not run back and forth managing both stations and cause a launch.

Aren't they spring loaded and both have to be held for 5 seconds?  And within 2 seconds of each other?  Not enough time for a person to "run back and forth" and enable a launch.

Archived