SASS Wire Forum

John Bear - has passed

Warden Callaway

We lost one of our most active club members yesterday - John Bear aka John Arthur Nelson. 

We don't have many details other than the Highway Patrol accident report.  He was riding a motorcycle on a secondary road and crashed at a 90° curve.  No other vehicle involved.  The accident was a few miles south of our gun club. 

John Bear started shooting with us a few years back when he moved into central Missouri. He was originally from Sheridan Wyoming and I think he probably lived many years in the north west where he was active in Cowboy Action Shooting. 

John Bear has been very active in Cowboy Action Shooting in Missouri and regional matches in neighboring states.  He has been writing our stages that were often creative and popular.  His efforts will be missed at our club.

He has a brother and sister in Colorado who are making arrangements.  I will post details when we know. 

Read about this last night.  It is sad, as he was one of the Good Guys!   Always helping out and Fun to shoot with. Going to miss this guy.

Prayers for his Family and Holly

Prayers for peace and comfort for his family and friends.  Sad to lose a man who had a life cut short unexpectedly. 

So sorry to hear of this. John Bear was a very nice and knowledgeable shooter. I will miss talking to him at some of the bigger shoots we were at together. My heartfelt condolences to Holly and all of Johns family and friends. He will be greatly missed by all.

Very sad news, John was an awesome cowboy. My Condolences to the family. He will be sorely missed. 

I pray The Lord is with his family and friends threw this tragic loss.

I pray for peace and understanding .

Sorry for the Loss of your Pard.

Rooster 

Happy Trails

Warden,

That picture is all you needed to post!!

THAT is John Bear......

What a gentleman and patriot.

Ol'  #4

John Bear ran the club in Boise Idaho for several years.   Came up with our monthly stages,  did several state matches and numerous two day matches.   My daughters thought he was the greatest and always wanted to shoot on his posse.   He enjoyed shooting, fishing and golf.   He endured all the junk that goes on in many clubs and always with the smile you see in the above picture.   He worked for the state of Idaho with the governors office as an I.T. person and did that for many years.  I will miss him a lot.  Bullett 19707

We just got word from John Bear's family that funeral services for John Bear will be at the Houser-Millard funeral home 2613 West Main Street Jefferson City on Friday May 3rd.  Visitation at 5:30, services at 6:00.

6 hours ago, Hickok Holly said:

I am forever grateful to this sweet man who introduced me to Cowboy Action Shooting. I have great memories of shooting and adventures trips. Always in my heart. 

We all hope you stay playing Cowboy - Cowgirl with us!

We just got home from attending John's services.  There was a good turnout.  It was funny.   Professionally he was an IT manager.  So there were 6 rows of chairs filled with clean cut young people from his office.  Then about 6 rows of crusty old cowboy buddies.  When we were breaking up, we mixed with the office folks.  He had recently brought out a bunch of folks from his office to the gun club to introduce them to cowboy action shooting.  It was part of a team building exercise.  

John Bear was truly a man to be emulated.  As others have said he always had a smile on his face and truly enjoyed life.  He never was mad--except maybe at himself--for muffing a holster draw or not grabbing enough shotgun shells.  He was always about helping each one of us that shot with him to improve.  He's probably helping Saint Peter to improve is time on the Cowboy range in the sky right now!

Along with Holly, we all will miss him greatly.

Dr. O. R. Vet

Archived