SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Collectible Firearms as CAS Main Match Guns

Palouse

(Scratchin' at nits while waiting for Windows10 to finish an update...)

I want to shoot an 1866 clone in 44WCF as main match rifle.  I have such rifle (carbine), as new, un-fired, no box.  The '66 will go with cap guns, hammered shotgun, and BP.

Rifle is also a Uberti "Red Cloud" edition, manufactured about 1980.  When I bought it, I was also thinking about a CAS persona; the decorative tacks looked like something a pre-'73 scout might run across, and the engraving something that a limited-funds cowboy might commission.  (Not that there were many fat, gray haired scouts or cowboys in the early days.) 

Side view      

Full Length

I am leaning towards ignoring the "collectible" component and just shoot.  The alternative, swap with someone who has a real interest in "intentionally manufactured as collectible" guns.  I sold my 2nd-Gen Colt 1851 "US Armed Forces" commemorative revolvers; they were too gaudy even for B-Western.  Not interested in selling this rifle, just in finalizing shootin' plans.

Question is, what is general consensus on shooting "collectible" weapons?  

6 minutes ago, Palouse said:

(Scratchin' at nits while waiting for Windows10 to finish an update...)

I want to shoot an 1866 clone in 44WCF as main match rifle.  I have such rifle (carbine), as new, un-fired, no box.  The '66 will go with cap guns, hammered shotgun, and BP.

Rifle is also a Uberti "Red Cloud" edition, manufactured about 1980.  When I bought it, I was also thinking about a CAS persona; the decorative tacks looked like something a pre-'73 scout might run across, and the engraving something that a limited-funds cowboy might commission.  (Not that there were many fat, gray haired scouts or cowboys in the early days.) 

Side view      

Full Length

I am leaning towards ignoring the "collectible" component and just shoot.  The alternative, swap with someone who has a real interest in "intentionally manufactured as collectible" guns.  I sold my 2nd-Gen Colt 1851 "US Armed Forces" commemorative revolvers; they were too gaudy even for B-Western.  Not interested in selling this rifle, just in finalizing shootin' plans.

Question is, what is general consensus on shooting "collectible" weapons?  

Well, let's define "collectible."   Do you mean a generic if pristine 2nd Generation Colt SAA?  Or do you mean a Commemorative Issue Colt from the same era?

In either case, the answer is yes, I would shoot them.   For example, I have shot this one at SASS matches a few times...

1354920220_457-12Colt.thumb.JPG.b4d02255a7f02159aab7fd27b42cd87d.JPG

This a fairly run of the mill 2nd Gen Colt.  Nothing special about it, honestly worn, but many would consider it a "collectible." 

Then, I have also shot this on more than a handful of occasions...

45 7-5 NRA Colt.JPG

That's the NRA Centennial Commemorative.   I have to admit that when I first bought it, the action was like sandpaper.  Took it back to the factory for an action job and now it shoot great.   And the cost was surprisingly low.  Less than a hundred bucks.

I haven't shot this one yet, but I do intend to...

1727285731_0758Cased.thumb.JPG.6808ece492947277220e655f0adc8a24.JPG

Can an Uberti be collectable?   It came as is, with the conversion cylinder.   I hope to fire it this year.

And then, finally, there is this one which I intend to be shooting at the MA/CT/RI Tristate in a few weeks. 

1950063036_GoldIvory.thumb.JPG.69b7d8156bea5062444bb9a763846d94.JPG'

Yep.   That's a gold finish.   Yep, those are wooly mammoth ivory grips.   The mother of pearl ones that came with it just didn't look good t me thanks to an infamous statement by General Patton.     Oh, BTW, I'll also be conducting the Cowboy Church service at said Tri-state.   Hope to see you there.

So in other words, shoot 'em.   Guns are made to be fired.

5 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've been watching prices of Colt SAA and often the commemorative models bring less than standard configuration.   

As for the 66 clone,  shoot it.  

Oh yeah, good point.   The Colt Commemoratives generally cost LESS than generic second gen Colts.   That makes 'em affordable, and thus shootable

Shoot it.  I'm not a dealer, but I have personally never seen a 'collector's edition' sell for more than the standard model other than the first sucker who bought it new.  I've seen plenty of people ASKING more for one, but those people are back at the gun show month after month with that collector's edition on the table.  I know they have less value to me because I prefer patina over flashy. 

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Shoot them all I used 2  2nd gen Colts a 3rd model 73 and a 1900 model 97 and won many matches with them and they were never slicked up.Time did that for me. 

Archived