SASS Wire Forum

Dallas / Fort Worth Area on July 4 Weekend

High Noon Henry

I'm planning my destinations after leaving EOT.   So far, I have Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo then over to Oklahoma City.   I would like to visit the Dallas / Ft. Worth area for a few days before heading back to coastal NC via I-20.   Another concern is arriving on July 3rd and leaving on Sunday, July 7th and everyone else is camping the same weekend.  Can anyone provide any recommendations for a quality RV park without busting the bank?   Of course, if there happens to be a match in the area, it would be a nice bonus.   I'm traveling in a 39 foot 5th wheel RV and some RV parks have size limitations.   I use the site Allstays.com and it does provide some information but you can't beat a local source.

I could also be influenced to head east on I-40 if there are better choices.   Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I can't offer any help on places to park, but if you haven't been to the Fort Worth Stockyards, you might consider it.

Billy Bob's, the world's largest honky-tonk is there, along with a lot of good restaurants and shops in the old store fronts.

The area was where the cattle were driven to and fattened before slaughter and shipment to yonder. Swift and Armor had major meat-packing facilities that have pretty much fallen down, but the history is still there. The cattle pens were everywhere even into the 1980's, but now it's a touristy set-up where they even have a "cattle drive" through the streets, with a big old longhorn leading the parade. 

The White Elephant Saloon is there, an historic saloon that was also the meeting place on the tv show Walker, Texas Ranger.

If you can stand the touristy junk, the real history is still around. You just have to look for it.

Enjoy your trip, and welcome to Texas.

The Texas Tin Horns near Leonard TX shoot the first weekend of each month. There is an RV Park in Leonard. I think the name of it is Five Rivers Motel and RV Park.  Leonard is about 40/50 miles northeast of Dallas near McKinney TX. That’s the only place I know that shoots the first weekend around the DFW area. 

Just remembered that The Texas Troublemakers in Brownsboro shoot the first Saturday of each month.  Brownsboro is in the Tyler area and not real far off of I 20. Haven’t shot there myself so I don’t know about RV Parks etc.

In addition to the above clubs the Red River Valley Cowpokes will likely have special match on July 4th. They are located just across the Red River in Albany Oklahoma.

Texas Ten Horns shoot the first Sat and Sunday of the month. Because June has 5 Saturdays the Ten Horns will probably hold a more old school SASS match the 29th of June.

Texas Troublemakers shoot the first Saturday of the month.

I shoot at all three clubs. Each club will give you a different mix of targets allowing you to easily shoot shoot three different matches in 4 days.

If you shoot NCOWS the Berger Sharpshooters will be shooting the first Saturday of July

While at Palo Duro canyon drive into Canyon and visit the museum. Great museum about the history of the region and when I was there they had the Colt Charlie Goodnight gave the local bank for protection.

While in Ok City don't miss the Cowboy Hall of Fame.

A few years ago I stayed in Ft. Worth at a pretty unique campground.  I forget the name but it wasn't far from the Navy base.  The park was downtown believe it or not they had 1 city block with full hook ups.  I went there with a 39 foot 5th wheel, easy to get to but the site were on the small side.  If you're going on a holiday weekend that park probably wouldn't be crowded since everyone is getting out of town.

The other place we stayed was up in Grapevine at the city park, that was very nice easy on and off the highway and nice spots.  If you want more info PM me and I'll send it to you.

Thanks to everyone for the information.   I definitely want to visit Ft Worth and the stockyard.  

As far as coming up to Pawnee, I wish I could make it.  I’m shooting at Colorado State and Cortez before EOT.   I need to begin the ride back east.   I’m still training for retirement and will need to report to work in mid July.  If not, they might realize they can get by without me.  

I’ll take a look at these SASS clubs and try to make a decision soon.   I’m finding out that the camper reservations are filling up quickly. 

HNH

21 hours ago, Ringer said:

While at Palo Duro canyon drive into Canyon and visit the museum. Great museum about the history of the region and when I was there they had the Colt Charlie Goodnight gave the local bank for protection.

While in Ok City don't miss the Cowboy Hall of Fame.

I plan to visit both of these.   Thanks for the recommendations.   

HNH

Archived