SASS Wire Forum

Incorrect terminology! It's a HOUSEWIFE!

I told my old squad partner I'd bought a soldier's wife.
She asked what my own wife thought of it.
Said I hadn't told her.
Where am I keeping this new purchase?
In the bedside table.
Ah, a blow up model.
Ummm ... no ... 
I called by its wrong term ... it's not a soldier's WIFE, it's a soldier's HOUSEWIFE and it's a sewing kit!
Link:
Soldier's Housewife

I had something similar I bought at Clothing Sales (BX) when I first entered the military.  Contained the necessary Buttons, fasteners, thread and needles to keep a Fatigue Uniform serviceable in the field.  Handiest Darn thing.  Wonder if they still sell them.

5 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I told my old squad partner I'd bought a soldier's wife.
She asked what my own wife thought of it.
Said I hadn't told her.
Where am I keeping this new purchase?
In the bedside table.
Ah, a blow up model.
Ummm ... no ... 
I called by its wrong term ... it's not a soldier's WIFE, it's a soldier's HOUSEWIFE and it's a sewing kit!
Link:
Soldier's Housewife

I have two, one in each vehicle.

Had them for years and used them often enough to realize that they are handy, but not quite indispensable.

I have several. I've always had at least one housewife, starting back in Boy Scouts. Never heard it called a soldier's housewife, though. Just a housewife.

I made several over the years when I was doing Civil War reenacting. I tried to use original buttons whenever possible.

Such have been around for a while, likely as long as soldiers have been wearing clothing.  Here are a few examples from the War of 1861

Related image

Related image

A couple of times at church, when I have had to make some quick repairs on vestments, I've gotten odd looks when I ask where the housewife is.

Archived