SASS Wire Forum

Shipping Handguns

Subdeacon Joe

WOW! Looks like a steam roller ran over it--or it got under one of the tandems of the deliver truck.

Who shipped it?  I thought FFLs had to ship hand guns?  If so, betcha someone's getting a new FREE gun it of the deal.

Dr. O. R.

I can't talk for UPS or Fed X but small parcels that get sorted at the US Postal Service distribution centers have been known to get mashed up at times and sometimes end up between the rollers and belt of conveyors. They are a beast to clear at times.

Hard to believe. I can't imaging what must have happened. When my department was evaluating Glocks back in the 80s, we ran over them with patrol cars and even dropped em from a chopper. None fared as bad as this one. I'm amazed the bag wasn't destroyed. Hmmmmmm

9 hours ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

WOW! Looks like a steam roller ran over it--or it got under one of the tandems of the deliver truck.

Who shipped it?  I thought FFLs had to ship hand guns?  If so, betcha someone's getting a new FREE gun it of the deal.

Dr. O. R.

BATFE regs say you can ship directly to an FFL for repairs and he can ship it direct to you. (some states prohibit this)

What UB said, How come the package doesn't look damaged? Could there be some nefarious act here?:ph34r: Maybe it was shipped that way to try an insurance claim.:(

25 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

How come the package doesn't look damaged?

If the only directions of movement were crushing without any drag it is quite possible to have that kind of deformation of the firearm without having damage to the envelope.  And, we only see one side of the envelope.

Could be that some anti-gun screwball working for the shipper saw it was addressed to  a gun shop, gave it a feel, and too it out to the parking lot and went to work with a sledge hammer.

I just find it impossible to believe this was accidental damage and am leaning toward it being put in the envelope in that condition in the first place.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

BATFE regs say you can ship directly to an FFL for repairs and he can ship it direct to you. (some states prohibit this)

But it has to be through FedEx or UPS. Only FFLs can ship handguns through USPS. Changed a few years ago I believe. 

20 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

But it has to be through FedEx or UPS. Only FFLs can ship handguns through USPS. Changed a few years ago I believe. 

Right. Only long guns can go USPS.

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Changed a few years ago I believe.  

Yeah, I guess fifty one would be "a few". Been that way since GCA68.

Maybe you're thinking about the FedUPS in-house rule that pistols have to go next day air. That's only been about 15 years.

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Hard to believe. I can't imaging what must have happened. When my department was evaluating Glocks back in the 80s, we ran over them with patrol cars and even dropped em from a chopper. None fared as bad as this one. I'm amazed the bag wasn't destroyed. Hmmmmmm

Did your test administrator remove the magazine before driving on top of the pistol?  We've found steel magazines are important to polymer frame integrity.  

Doesn’t have to be Fedex or Ups. DHL is also a firearms shipper.

2 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Did your test administrator remove the magazine before driving on top of the pistol?  We've found steel magazines are important to polymer frame integrity.  

Don’t recall. It was 88 or 89. I’m lucky to remember what I had for breakfast now. ;)

Archived