SASS Wire Forum

I May Not Be Online as Much

DocWard

Most everyone who cares probably knows I have my day job and a part time job behind the firearms counter at our local Gander Outdoors. That has been keeping me fairly busy, but life is likely to get busier for awhile. As far as hobbies go, after my guitar instructor passed away unexpectedly, I decided to go a different direction.

Sparring1.png

Sparring3.png

I earned my 1st Degree brown belt in Kenpo in 1998. At the time, I was working to establish myself as an attorney, raising two daughters under the age of five and trying to become the best medic and NCO I could be in the National Guard, so something had to give. Kenpo was one of the things that gave. I've decided to go back and attempt to earn my black belt. At 53 I am sparring, practicing and trying to get back some of what I used to have.

For reasons I can't explain, I also agreed to adopt an eight week old border collie-german shepherd mix from a shelter. Meet Rosie, the newest member of our clan. Named such for any number of female figures, real, fictional and archetypal. She is a happy, confident and very busy puppy, and is keeping me busy!

57882431_2436622353037479_9046183204007968768_n.jpg

Had the same mix-he got into everydanging. :lol:

So we named him CJ, as in Jeep.

Enjoy, as she will take up all of your heart-Mine did.

This breed does not deal well when you leave them alone-

When you leave the house-Leave a radio on so she can hear voices, etc.

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Had the same mix-he got into everydanging. :lol:

So we named him CJ, as in Jeep.

Enjoy, as she will take up all of your heart-Mine did.

This breed does not deal well when you leave them alone-

When you leave the house-Leave a radio on so she can hear voices, etc.

OLG

We currently have another border collie and a jack russell, so she'll have company. It looks like the border collie is going to be strong with her, since she is already "herding" her toys into a group.

25 minutes ago, DocWard said:

We currently have another border collie and a jack russell, so she'll have company. It looks like the border collie is going to be strong with her, since she is already "herding" her toys into a group.

Just wait till little kids visit-:lol:

OLG

55 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just wait till little kids visit-:lol:

OLG

Our first australian shepherd figured out quickly that we wanted my oldest kept away from my in-law's stairs as a baby and would herd her away. No, we never did any herding training, purely instinct and intelligence!

Doc, I am glad life is good and it’s not something negative that will be keeping you away.

I hope you do well with your training.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone! I sparred last night, and caught a knee with my shin, and quickly realized I need to buy some new shin pads! My old ones were deteriorated after 20 years. Wow, is my leg sore! On the plus side, my instructor asked if I would attend a seminar with him, which caught me a bit by surprise, since I haven't been back into it for long. I have a feeling I will be overwhelmed, but that's OK. Oh, and Sunday is my annual 5K trail run. Oh, boy...

I thought I would take the time to show a picture of my instructor, Dan Distelhorst. At 74, I have a high level of confidence he can still take me.

IMG_0599.JPG

The start of a busy weekend as soon as I finish my coffee. All day at a martial arts seminar, followed by a 5K trail run tomorrow, assuming I'm able to walk. Of course, my relaxing evening last night got ruined because I'm a nice guy and agreed to go in and work for a couple of hours at the store to provide coverage because they were so busy.. Yeah, it was pretty dead after I got there. At any rate, if there are any good pics to be had, I may post.

Have a good one everyone!

On 4/25/2019 at 9:19 AM, DocWard said:

I earned my 1st Degree brown belt in Kenpo in 1998.

I'm assuming american kenpo from the description of the sparring.  I don't think chinese or okinawan versions of kenpo do that (thought I might be wrong).  I've been in martial arts for something like 25 years.  My first style shared some ancestry with american kenpo.  My teacher's teacher was a contemporary of Ed Parker, if memory serves.  So which branch of the family tree are you studying? 

With my son when I made Black Belt at 56. Don’t ever quit the struggle is worth it. I’m still learning at 70 with the rank of Master 

B2AC302B-403E-4A78-A582-31D36CF19F7D.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'm assuming american kenpo from the description of the sparring.  I don't think chinese or okinawan versions of kenpo do that (thought I might be wrong).  I've been in martial arts for something like 25 years.  My first style shared some ancestry with american kenpo.  My teacher's teacher was a contemporary of Ed Parker, if memory serves.  So which branch of the family tree are you studying? 

Correct, American Kenpo. While my instructor originally started out as a Tracy System franchisee, he is currently independent. If you've ever seen Ed Parker's "Kenpo Family Tree" he is listed as a second generation black belt below Ed Parker, because of the fact that his instructor, Jay T. Will, was instructed by both Mr. Parker and Al Tracy. Currently, Dan's curriculum is primarily Tracy System, with some heavier influence of the original EPAK system, if that makes sense. Dan did a number of trainings and seminars with Ed Parker back when Mr. Parker was still alive, as well as Huk Planas, Lee Wedlake, and other EPAK notables.

I've long suspected Dan has done more than he lets on. During a seminar years ago, Mr. Wedlake commented on seeing his name listed high in tournament standings, and only more recently has he talked about the traveling he did to fight in tournaments across the nation. At the seminar today, a number of notable tournament fighters from his era made comment about his proficiency during that time.

Well, I survived the 5K trail race (actually 3.49 again by my phone app). It was cold. It was wet. It was muddy and slippery, especially the hills. My ribs hurt. My legs felt tired. I've logged minimal miles running this year. I beat my time from last year by almost a minute and a half.

Well done Doc..As you get older you need what I call brain food to stimulate the mind & body, some do puzzles & go for a walk, what you are doing is great & the mind & body will love you for it. The bonus now  is when you come home knackered Rosie will be at the door tongue at the ready..enjoy the martial arts & your new 4 legged friend.

Archived