SASS Wire Forum

Our new flag pole is up!

Clay Mosby

I mentioned a while back about some skunk trying to burn our American Flag has it hung from our garage, and that I wanted to get a flagpole to get it out of reach. 

Well, the flagpole is up and the flag is flying. We bought a 30 LED solar powered light so it can stay up at night, and I got a telescoping pole so there is no lanyard they could cut to bring it down. I put a lock on the bottom section so a key is needed to lower the flag. We bought our flagpole from Old Glory Flags, A Veteran owned company. I was impressed with the quality of the pole, and a test out of the box showed the light would last through the night.

The most amazing thing about getting the pole up was how easy it was to dig the hole. Because of a very ambiguous marking by one of the utility companies in response to my 811 call, the only place near where I wanted the flag to go was about 2 feet from where a 50+ foot cedar stood about 16 years ago.  The amazing part? I was able to dig a 24" deep, 10" diameter hole without hitting sa single root or rock!! Using an old manual post hole digger I got down about 8" or so, then dug out our old Black and Decker power washer and used that to do some old fashioned hydraulic mining! :)

IMG_20190424_082850350_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190425_024046864.jpg

Nice job, I like that flag pole idea with no rope.

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Nice job, I like that flag pole idea with no rope.

I bought mine from Flags Galore And More about five mile west of here.  They installed it because I didn't want to deal wit the caliche (super hard clay) barrier about six inches down.  It turned out to be a good choice.  The man that installed it used a power auger until it began spinning without cutting the clay, then went to a battery powered jack hammer.  I didn't even know they made one. 

I'm still trying to decide if I want to put a light atop the pole.

Mime is only sixteen feet tall, but yours looks taller.

JFWIW, the poles and flags aren't uncommon here at all.  Probably one non-government building out of every ten has a flag flying.

OLG I took the picture with my phone, so the angle is the photographer being a half bubble off plumb! :D

One thing that did puzzle me a bit at first was that from certain angles the top did look like it was leaning a couple inches. Then I realized, as a telescoping pole it has four joints that have a very small amount of clearance, so that by the time you get to the top, there can be a very slight bit of curve in it.

19 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

CM-Any update on the burning deal?

OLG

Not a peep. Not hearing from the sheriff's dept was a real big surprise. Not hearing from Annin after sending them an Attaboy for the quality of the flag was a bit disappointing.

Archived