SASS Wire Forum

SPF - Used Lee Classic Cast Turret Kit

Here's an inexpensive way to get started reloading. I've recently upgraded to a Hornady progressive press and no longer have need for this sitting on my bench. This press has served me well for years and its time to find it a new home.

For sale is a Lee 4-hole Classic Cast Turret press. This press auto-indexes on each pull of the handle. (This feature can be quickly disabled if not desired.) It comes with Lee's disk measure along with the double-disk upgrade. Additionally included are two of the adjustable charge bars (one slightly modified to allow both to be stack one atop the other). The Lee safety prime system is included for both large and small primers. Additionally there are 8 die storage boxes, each with a 4-disk quick-change head. This allows you to setup your dies and store them so caliber changes take all of 15 seconds. A few small tools such as a primer pocket cleaner and case deburring tool are included (picture). Here's a (hopefully) complete list of everything:

• Lee Classic Cast Turret Press
  • 8 Die Storage boxes
  • 8 quick-swap 4-hole heads
  • Safety primer (small and large)
  • Lee balance-style powder scale
  • Lee Pro-Auto Disk (w/ Double-Disk upgrade suitable for rifle calibers)
  • Lee adjustible charge bar (2)
  • Lee rifle charge die with riser for Pro-Auto Disk
  • About ten spare keys for the automatic indexing rod (two of these have lasted me more than 6 years)
  • Case length gauges and trimmer for 45 Colt, 45 Auto, 30-30 Winchester, .223 Remington, and .303 British
  • Chamfer and deburring tool
  • Lee Reloading Manual 2nd Edition

Some parts have minor surface rust on them which does not inhibit their function or durability. Some surface rust is nearly impossible to avoid in humid lowlands, particularly without climate control systems in my shed. :-( Again, nothing that would inhibit use of these tools. With this press I am able to pump out about 100 rounds an hour and you should be able to do so as well.

I'd like to see this go to a new reloader, preferably some one just getting into this sport. The press isn't as strong as a single-stage, but I never had any problem full-length resizing rifle cartridges with it; there's plenty of leverage. Pistol cartridges are, of course, much easier. Likewise, it isn't as fast as a progressive, but is capable of churning out a completed cartridge about every 30 seconds which is much faster than a traditional single-stage press.

I'm asking $150 plus shipping, but if you're new to reloading and this will be your first press, I'll drop the price to $125 (plus shipping). That's about half the cost of the press kit when it when it was new and doesn't include the cost of the die boxes and spare turret heads (each about $20 combined). I don't think you can ask for a better deal than that to get started in reloading.

If you've got any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

press1.jpeg

press2.jpeg

Hello Drifter, I'm a new cowboy shooter - SASS #108129 - seriously considering reloading so your gear interests me. To load 38/357,  I think will just require another set of dies.  Trying to think of any additional items I'd need to buy to get started with your press set up. 

Do you have any idea how much shipping would be to Louisiana, zip 70124. Thanks,  OO

Hey Ozark Okie.  Welcome to the world of reloading.  I just bought a set up identical to the one offered by Echeconnee Drifter, and absolutely love it.  The price he is asking is well worth it.  You'll only need to buy a set of .357 dies, dial them in to the proper height (very easy to do), and you're in business.  If you are thinking about getting started in reloading, you can't go wrong with this deal.  It's not as fast as some of the super duper blue rigs, but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.  Jump on this before someone else does.

Never reloaded before - really looking to start this year.  I just made a bulk purchase of .38 Special cowboy loads and I am hoping to collect the things I need to start reloading about the time my current cache of ammo runs out.

Other than bullets, primers, and powder - what other items would I need to collect before I could pull the handle on my first .38 Special round?

39 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

Never reloaded before - really looking to start this year.  I just made a bulk purchase of .38 Special cowboy loads and I am hoping to collect the things I need to start reloading about the time my current cache of ammo runs out.

Other than bullets, primers, and powder - what other items would I need to collect before I could pull the handle on my first .38 Special round?

Other than a set of dies and shell holder you have everything you need to get started.

For anyone starting out reloading ask the folks you shoot with if one or more of them will mentor you starting out.  Kudos to Echeconnee Drifter for his generous offer.

Only addition to this excellent starter set besides the dies of your choice is a wet tumbler for cleaning your brass.

15 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Don't forget a good reloaders book like the Lee's Modern Reloading manual. 

2nd edition of that book is included in the OP's offer.

Also, don't forget to add a good set of calipers.

2 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

Howdy Chuck,

Not much really. You'll need a set of dies and a shell holder. For this kit, I would recommend the Lee 4-die .357 Magnum set.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/309802/lee-deluxe-carbide-4-die-set

This set of 4 dies will do everything you need and will interface with the Pro-Auto Disk powder measure (other manufacturer's dies will not). That set will also include a shell holder for .38 Special/.357 Magnum. (The dies work equally well for either caliber. Refer to the instructions included with your dies to adjust for .38 Special.)

Furthermore, you will need a set of calipers. Most people seem to prefer digital calipers, but I like dial calipers personally. Either will work and neither should cost you more than about $20.

Beyond the die set, shell holder, and calipers, everything else is strictly optional. Those three things and this kit are all that's required to reload.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you're reloading rifle cases you'll need some sort of case lube. Straight-wall pistol cases generally do not require lubrication when using carbide sizing dies such as the one previously linked in this post.

On shipping, I honestly have no idea what shipping costs will be. I'm pretty sure this won't be able to ship in a single flat-rate box from the USPS, so distance from me to you matters. If you're in the central GA area I'll be happy to arrange payment and pick-up face-to-face.

Just remembered, there are a few other things to keep in mind which might be necessary, depending on what you're reloading. This kit includes a very rudimentary way to trim several calibers, but a better trimming setup is probably warranted if you're going to be doing rifle reloading or magnum-level pistol reloading. In SASS, we're shooting generally very low-pressure rounds as a rule and people tend to load those even lighter than normal. In this situation, the brass cases never stretch significantly so trimming generally isn't necessary. If you're planning on reloading say .308 you'll want to research better case trimming options.

I bought this kit a little before the Sandy Hook shooting. When I got my first .223 there was literally no .223 cartridges for sell anywhere. I purchased 1,000 rounds of once-fired cases and trimmed them all with this tool and a Dewalt drill motor. Took me forever! Additionally, if you're reloading military cartridges (5.56 NATO, 7.62x51, etc.) you will need some way to ream or swadge the primer pockets to remove the military crimp. That won't be an issue if you're just getting into this for SASS, but it's something to keep in mind if you intend to expand into other calibers in the future.

Hey Drifter, I'll take the new/reloader deal you have offered and we can work out the shipping charges. Will handle rest of details by PM. Thank you very much for the generous offer. I think it will work well for me. 

OO

Archived