SASS Wire Forum

Michigan Gun Laws for non residents attending SASS Event

Wells Faro

Just registered for my first International SASS Match, Range Wars. As an American / Canadian citizen residing in Canada, is there anything special I need to know or do when taking my firearms into Michigan for the weekend? The State web site was of little help.  Also will I need to bring all of the ammunition with me or can I purchase  there?      Thanks Wells Faro

Contact Deuce Stevens at 616-890-6657. He might be able to help you.  He is the Match Director of  Range Wars SASS Michigan State.  Hope this help.

I. M. Crossdraw

Nothing special needed hear in Michigan.

We are a very Gun Friendly State .

Just Keep your firearms in a Case unloaded .

And keep your ammo in a separate case .

Yes you can bring your own ammo .

Its a good idea to try to keep the stuff un-excusable   to people inside of the vehicle.

Thats about it . 

Come enjoy our beautiful state of Michigan .

Rooster 

There are several Canadians who regularly shoot matches at Michigan club monthlies (is that even a word?).  I've never heard any of them say that they had any particular problems crossing the border with their guns and ammo.  As stated above,  keep the firearms cased and separated from the ammo.  None of these should be accessible from the passenger compartment of your vehicle.

On another related topic, make sure that under ordinary circumstances (not transporting firearms) that you would have no problems coming into the US or returning to Canada.  In Michigan there is an "enhanced" driver's license that is issued to those who frequently cross the border.  I'm no expert, but you might need a current passport.  Check with US and Canadian Customs.

Good advice from the other posts:  There will be a Canadian Invitation Letter posted soon I reckon:

https://www.wolverinerangers.org/RW.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have been going to Range War for the last 18 years, it is one of the best shoots in the US.

There is no problem crossing the border, just make sure that you get your paper work in order.

You will need a form 6 (a temporary alien importation permit) it is available on the ATF website.

Make sure you list all the guns you wish to take, and list all the ammunition that you are bringing.

If you need 200 rounds put at least twice that amount on your form. Give your self at least 6 weeks to get your permit. You will also need an invitation to any shoot that you attend. Also when you get to the border it is your responsibility to inform the border guards that you have firearms.

Lefty

On 4/25/2019 at 10:34 AM, Wells Faro said:

Thank you to all that replied, looking forward to shooting SASS south of the border! Wells Faro

Ahem.  Michigan is either west of Sarnia or north of Windsor (I don't count Yoopiana). You Canuckian tenderfoot hillbillies need to look at a map!

8 minutes ago, Wells Faro said:

Yes you are correct, I thought of that moments after I pressed send, however from here in Toronto it is most definitely south.

Maybe, but your closest entry point would have you traveling east, to Buffalo.  :D

40 minutes ago, Badlands Beady said:

Ahem.  Michigan is either west of Sarnia or north of Windsor (I don't count Yoopiana). You Canuckian tenderfoot hillbillies need to look at a map!

similar to Houston being south of Tijuana and Juárez, Mexico

Well...kind of. Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit, and Sarnia is directly across the river from Port Huron.  The relationships are more like San Diego-Tijuana or Laredo-Nueve Laredo.  In a sense, southern Ontario sticks down into the US between Michigan and Ohio, while New York pokes Ontario in the side.

Archived