SASS Wire Forum

Question on compaitability

G W Wade

Could you use 45 cowboy special in a Ruger vaquero chambered in 45 acp.  The case size is right but will the rim have room to rotate?   Question came up the other day when talking to a friend who has one.      Thanks     GW

I would guess that it would probably not.  The acp is designed to headspace off the case mouth while the 45 Cowboy uses the rim to set the head space.  So most likely, there would not be room for the 45 Cowboy special in the 45 acp cylinder.

If the Ruger comes with a 45 Colt cylinder, the 45 Special would work in that.

4 minutes ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

GW you are far from compatible

Thanks Zeb.  That"s one on the nicest things people have said about me, I think       GW

1 hour ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

A binder mechanic would just use a bigger hammer and make it fit

We were told at binder mechanic school that we were not allowed to use hammers anymore.  We were supposed to use whackcommiters     Have them from 4 oz to 35 lbs.       GW

15 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Could you use 45 cowboy special in a Ruger vaquero chambered in 45 acp.  The case size is right but will the rim have room to rotate?   Question came up the other day when talking to a friend who has one.      Thanks     GW

No .. not in the Ruger ... (see Blackhawk photo below) ... BUT ... I but I suspect they would just work fine in a 45 acp moon clip gun ...

Ruger45cylindercomparison.jpg.9221d2e4cb4559f7943a9ab741fb36fa.jpg

3 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

No .. not in the Ruger ... (see Blackhawk photo below) ... BUT ... I but I suspect they would just work fine in a 45 acp moon clip gun ...

Thanks Pete.   Didn:t realize Ruger cylinder was recessed...Was thinking might clear but now I can see it won"t.   Moon clip guns in 45acp require 45AR brass with .090 rim to make up for rim and thickness of moon clip.     Was thinking you could put more crimp on without risking misfires due to headspace problems.  Own several 45 acp revolvers and have learned they can misfire for several reasons such as over crimping and even bent moon clips softening hammer blow.      GW

On 4/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, G W Wade said:

I don’t know the dimensions of the 45 cowboy special case but my 45 acp Vaquero doesn’t have the recess for moon clips. 

The head of a 45acp round does not sit flush with the cylinder.

F65A3192-AFA6-496C-883E-AE55264B2E4E.jpeg

6F26D610-76AC-4AF6-9D9B-62B8CF77B0BB.jpeg

A6E45FFB-14DD-44A7-BB88-05E172949AF1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I don’t know the dimensions of the 45 cowboy special case but my 45 acp Vaquero doesn’t have the recess for moon clips. 

The head of a 45acp round does not sit flush with the cylinder.

Should put one in there and compare case head clearance but it looks like they would work just fine ...  B)

15 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Should put one in there and compare case head clearance but it looks like they would work just fine ...  B)

I don’t have any cowboy special cases..

Thanks guys,   Think were getting close to the answer.   I found a couple of 45 CS and will be seeing the owner of the 45acp Vaquero this weekend.    Finally time for our first shoot of the year.  Been 6 months so getting pretty excited even there is good chance of rain with chance of snow      GW

7 hours ago, Caboose said:

No moon clip needed. Load one at a time as normal, just like any single action.

The head of a 45acp round does not sit flush with the cylinder. Exactly!

10 hours ago, two dot said:

Nothing unless you want to shoot Classic

45 special is classic cowboy legal? Seems like it shouldn’t be, but that’s just me. I like to use 45 schofield when I shoot classic, especially in my schofield. 

CC requires .40 or greater rimmed case. (or .36 min cap gun)

On 4/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, Patagonia Pete said:

The .45a.c.p. cylinder in the photo is for a 3 screw Blackhawk, they had the clearance groove for the firing pin. The New Model .45 a.c.p. cylinders don't have that groove.

45ACPVaquero.thumb.JPG.458fef087bd479fbc691e9e73d9ee526.JPG

One of these is a 45 ACP and the other is a 45CS. they both work perfectly.

Why would I use 45CS?  Either I don't want to load BP in a ACP case or I want to load to the minimum to reduce recoil and don't want to use that load in my 1911.

No need for a moon clip, you can't use a moon or a half moon clip with a single action gate anyway.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, G W Wade said:

Yes you can 

I have a pair of Birdhead Vaqueros camber in 45acp and shoot 45cspl’s for a Classic Cowboy 

works just fine no issues what so ever 

Just got back from trying 45CS in pards gun., with same results as Bittertrigger.    Thanks for the help guys     GW

20160816_121501_zps1jgno8d4.jpg.2ff318a3c4caa61215e77fc7aadf7d87.jpg

I shot C45S in these two Rugers with 45ACP cylinders.  The only frustration was with tight chambers and throats.  

One advantage I can think of is you can apply a heavy roll crimp as they headspace on rim. 

The other advantage is that if you are shooting C45S in rifle. 

Archived