SASS Wire Forum

Colt 32 automatic

Alpo

The 1903 Model M is the only one, right?

I know they also made a 1908 in 380. But they later made several other 380 automatics.

But the 1903 is the only 32 I can think of.

Spenser has gotten hold of a Colt 32 automatic, and he pushed the button to make the clip come out. Trying to decide if this was another example of "Parker don't know diddly about guns", or there's another 32 that I was not aware of.

The German Mauser HsC is chambered for the 7.62 round.  The .32 ACP works just fine in it.

One of my regrets; selling a 7.62 HsC liberated by my father in 1945 to make a mortgage payment during the Carter years..

I had one that was in rough shape but worked just fine. I'm so sorry I sold that gun! It was a 1903 in .32 auto and as far as I know the only .32 auto. 

I have one of those .32 Colts, neat gun, but I don't trust carrying it with a loaded chamber with just the dinky little safety (I know, it has a grip safety too). My dad had one that his mother gave him, sadly a dope head nephew stole it and sold it on the street and has not been recovered. I bought one like it from a friend of mine's widow when he passed to help her out and for memory sake. My dad's was the first handgun I ever fired. When I was a button I drilled a cottontail thru the neck with it and my mom fried it up.

For some years I had a French made Walther PPK .32 I found at  a gun shop in Austin while in college. At the time you couldn't buy a REAL PPK due to import restrictions, and the German PPK/S was stupid expensive.Sexiest little pistol you ever saw, I mostly wanted it because it was James Bond's weapon.  When I got my CHL I was planning on using it for my carry gun, only problem was it was a jam-a-matic and I didn't trust my life to it. Ended up selling it and buying a Glock 27.

JHC

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I have one of those .32 Colts, neat gun, but I don't trust carrying it with a loaded chamber with just the dinky little safety (I know, it has a grip safety too).

Most of you probably don't remember Steve Malloy, but he was editor of SWAT Magazine for awhile. He strapped on a .32 Colt Model M one day at home, and when he bent over to tie his shoes the Colt fell onto the ground and discharged, hitting him in the chest. He only made it as far as his garage, trying to get help from a neighbor. So much for the .32 being an ineffective round.

Well on the Model M 1903 you do sort of “push the button” to release the mag. Not like later and more traditional mag buttons John Browning employed but I wouldn’t necessarily say that pushing the button is wrong here.  Certainly not compared to gun gaffes other writers make.  I always liked that Spenser’s weapon of choice was a Browning Hi Power. 

Seamus

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The German Mauser HsC is chambered for the 7.62 round.  The .32 ACP works just fine in it.

One of my regrets; selling a 7.62 HsC liberated by my father in 1945 to make a mortgage payment during the Carter years..

It should.  They are the same round with snooty European designation on one and real measurements on the other.

35 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Most of you probably don't remember Steve Malloy, but he was editor of SWAT Magazine for awhile. He strapped on a .32 Colt Model M one day at home, and when he bent over to tie his shoes the Colt fell onto the ground and discharged, hitting him in the chest. He only made it as far as his garage, trying to get help from a neighbor. So much for the .32 being an ineffective round.

I'm really leary of any pistol with an internal hammer or striker.  I've had two ADs in my life, one with a 1903 Colt and the other with a Remington Model 51.  I still own both but don't carry them with a round in the chamber.

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Magazine.  Clips are for little girls' hair.

Magazine is something you read in the barber shop while waiting for your haircut.

11 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

……………...

For some years I had a French made Walther PPK .32 I found at  a gun shop in Austin while in college. At the time you couldn't buy a REAL PPK due to import restrictions, and the German PPK/S was stupid expensive.Sexiest little pistol you ever saw, I mostly wanted it because it was James Bond's weapon.  When I got my CHL I was planning on using it for my carry gun, only problem was it was a jam-a-matic and I didn't trust my life to it. Ended up selling it and buying a Glock 27.

JHC

I had the same problem with my Browning 1910 but I found it was the magazine causing the jams. A new magazine and the problem was solved.

I carried a 1908 Colt, Nickeled plated  380 for years . Loved it; in close it was very accurate. I sold it to another Cowboy in Chattanooga a few years back. I miss it!

Cheers,   Hoss C.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:20 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

Aside from being James Bond's gun the PPK is remembered in England for being the weapon that almost got Princess Anne killed/abducted in the 1970s when her bodyguard's pistol jammed while engaging the would-be abductor. Turned out the pistol had a bad magazine.

Archived