SASS Wire Forum

NEEDED: mechanical info 2017 Toyota Tacoma

I would  start by  taking  off  the Radiator Cap .

Then you drive a Dodge under the Radiator  Cap and put it  on .

Than you are all Done :P

2 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I would  start by  taking  off  the Radiator Cap .

Then you drive a Dodge under the Radiator  Cap and put it  on .

Than you are all Done :P

:lol:

That would probably be a lot cheaper..... :D

I found some YouTube videos, which still doesn't make it look much simpler.

..........Widder

Thanks SD.   That's the conclusion I've decided.    The Mobil 1 synthetic 0-20W and filter will cost about

$60.    I don't know what the shop mechanic will charge, but if I can get it done for a total cost

of about double that, It will be worth it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

My Sequoya required dropping the skid plate just to see the oil filter. Decided it was worth it in the long run to pay a shop to do it.

That's what they want you to do. I can't even replace the thermostat in my 2015 Dodge without taking it to a dealer. They're doing everything they can to make it impossible for DIY'ers to perform their own maintenance work.

Takes me ~20 minutes to do the oil, oil filter, and air cleaner on my 2017 Tacoma, the 2TR-FE (2.7l 4 cyl) uses a spin on filter that's isn't too terrible to get to buy crawling underneath from the passenger side. I use whatever the super fancy Mobil 1 is (the stuff rated for 15,000 mile drain intervals) in 0w20, at 5,000 miles I change the filter (factory oversized Toyota filter, I think it's a 90915-yzzd3), and at 10k I do air cleaner, oil filter, and oil again.

As for the v6 models, I believe it's a cartridge type deal that requires removing a skid plate or guard or some bs to access, and from what I've heard the cap can be prone to cracking upon removal but I think aftermarket aluminum versions are available 

Throw the old Oil, Filter and Truck out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And get a New Canyon with the 2.8 liter Diesel ,,,, All Done ....

Then head on up here this Aug to Shoot fer a Month and A Half ....

Jabez Cowboy

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thanks SD.   That's the conclusion I've decided.    The Mobil 1 synthetic 0-20W and filter will cost about

$60.    I don't know what the shop mechanic will charge, but if I can get it done for a total cost

of about double that, It will be worth it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

..........Widder

Be sure that they use the correct oil if you take it to any shop except the dealer.  I have caught a couple shops not using the correct oil.

My 2016 GMC has a special requirement so I take it to the dealer.  Costs less there than it does if I took it to one of the 30 min chain stores.

Hey Widder,

The first step is to build a new garage with a lift so you won't have to crawl around on the floor. Makes changing oil and other maintenance chores much easier. Just think of all the money & time you'll save not having to go to the Toyota dealership. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

Hey Widder,

The first step is to build a new garage with a lift so you won't have to crawl around on the floor. Makes changing oil and other maintenance chores much easier. Just think of all the money & time you'll save not having to go to the Toyota dealership. :rolleyes:

"A dollar saved is a gun earned"..... :lol:

..........Widder

Howdy,

On a couple cars over the years aftermarket remote oil filters

became available.  This looks like a candidate for a remote

filter.  Some fellas are right clever with remote filter setups.

Ive been big on diy for two reasons.  save money and know it was done right.

One car filter head had remnants of at least two or more rubber gaskets.

The entire bottom of the car was covered with oil.

Careful work with a slim screwdriver and correct filter replacement

and oil 'consumption' dropped.

Best

CR

17 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Right now the best cars to do an oil change on are recent-model Subarus. The oil filter is a basic spin-on unit located right on top of the engine. I hardly even get dirty!

Still got to get under the car to remove the drain plug-;)

Just did a LOFF on our 2019 Outback.

No tranny or front diff. dipstick to ck.........

OLG

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Still got to get under the car to remove the drain plug-;)

Just did a LOFF on our 2019 Outback.

No tranny or front diff. dipstick to ck.........

OLG

Well at least the drain plug is in an easy location as well. As for the tranny... yes a lot of new cars have so-called "sealed" units that you're not supposed to change the fluid for the life of the vehicle. Then when you read the owner's manual it advised that if you drive in "severe" conditions (which means virtually all of us) you'll need to take it in to the dealer for a flush and refill every 60,000 miles. For me that's every couple of years... just more $$$ for the dealer! :angry:

Archived