SASS Wire Forum

Turning shoe heels ????

Alpo

This phrase, "his heels were turned" was in a Spenser book. The implication is that the man did not have enough money, and was attempting to not look shabby.

I know about turning a shirt collar, where, because the shirt is worn where the collar folds over, the collar is actually removed from the shirt, turned over and sewn back on, exposing the unworn underside of the collar to everyone looking.

But I have never before heard of turning shoe heels. I know that when I walk I wear down the outside of my heel. I suppose "turning" could be taking the right heel off and putting it on the left shoe, and vice versa. Although that seems more like it would be "switching", not "turning".

Or you could take the heel off and actually turn it over so that the worn side is up against the shoe sole and the unworn inside is now on the ground.

But that is just guesswork on my part. Does anyone actually know what the term refers to?

I Googled it, so can you just enter "turning heel meaning."

One meaning was needing an attitude adjustment. Most of the references relate to wrestling. One meaning was to turn heel and run or walk away.

I didn't look farther than page 1. There was nothing

I also looked for "his shoe heels were turned." There was nothing relevant there.

3 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Do you ever just read a book with out picking it apart?

Heck no! I do it all the time, when I find a statement that just isn't correct.  I actually take a pen and make a footnote, so if someone else reads it they will get the correct information. (Naturally, these are my own books.)  This applies especially where I have technical knowledge or info directly from a historical source!  The only exceptions are the Bible...and Louis Lamour novels! :rolleyes:

Archived