SASS Wire Forum

Massachusetts gun ownership question

Alpo

25 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Loophole speaks the truth. 

I believe owning a single round of ammunition.

I am not certain what the current status of BB guns is.  Once upon a time they were considered firearms.   Then they weren't.   They might be again.

Owning brass can be a problem 

I recall, some years back, when the law went into effect. Write-up in the American Rifleman. Said that under the new law, if a 12 year old kid was caught with a BB gun he would go to jail for one year mandatory. There was no provision for anyone from out of state to have a firearms card, so if you were traveling through Massachusetts and got pulled for any reason and they found your gun you would go to jail for one year mandatory.

Then Massachusetts backed off the stringency of the law a little bit, and then Ronnie passed FOPA86, so it was now safe to drive through the state.

I'm currently reading a Spenser from 1980, and he quotes that law, which got me to wondering whether or not it had ever been changed.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Looks like a mighty fine reason to relocate to another state......like NOW!

Well, some folks get worked up for no good reason.

If you are a MA resident, you go to your local PD and apply for either a Firearms ID card or a Permit to Carry.  The ID card lets you buy and own firearms - but not carry concealed.  The Carry Permit lets you carry concealed.  For almost everyone, that's it.  Yes, there are some places (Like Boston) where Carry Permits are extraordinarily difficult to obtain; you may end up going to Court to contest a denial.  But in the overwhelming majority of cities and towns, it's largely an administrative task, and once you get your paperwork done correctly, you will have your permit.

As for the one year mandatory, it's on the books, but it appears to be applied somewhat selectively.  If you are a gang member or on a watch list, it will probably be part of your prosecution; but I have not heard any horror stories about grandmothers from NJ getting a 1 year sentence because their .22 pistol wasn't properly stowed in the trunk on their way to Maine.  There is some prosecutorial discretion involved, and a bit of common sense.

Cowboy shooters come and go here every year without fear of arrest.  Check the rules before you come, and you will not have any trouble.

Did I mention that it is illegal in MA to carry a knife with a blade longer than 1 1/2" , or any double edged knife, stiletto, switchblade, dagger or dirk? :D  Leave your Bowie in the trunk....

LL

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Loophole speaks the truth. 

I believe owning a single round of ammunition.

I am not certain what the current status of BB guns is.  Once upon a time they were considered firearms.   Then they weren't.   They might be again.

Here is the statute re air guns (BB and Pellet):

No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession. No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or so-called BB gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way, and no minor under the age of eighteen shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB gun unless he is accompanied by an adult or is the holder of a sporting or hunting license. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars, and the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall be confiscated. Upon a conviction of a violation of this section the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall, by the written authority of the court, be forwarded to the colonel of the state police, who may dispose of said article in the same manner as prescribed in section ten.

SO, under 18 needs an accompanying adult or a hunting license plus a note from the Chief, to possess an air gun in a public place.  By implication, no such requirements to possess it in your own backyard.

Regardless of age, no firing from or across a street or public way.

Under 18, no firing of an airgun unless accompanied by an adult or holds a hunting license.

There is no one year mandatory for illegal possession of an airgun.

You'll get my bill shortly. B)

LL

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Looks like a mighty fine reason to relocate to another state......like NOW!

There are MANY reasons not to be in Mass. The people there are rude, mean, and just nasty.

Driving on the Interstate during rush hour is plain dangerous. The Police don't even do it. Pilgrims use the shoulder as a high speed passing lane. WATCH when you try to exit. 

If you want a laugh, stop for someone waiting to cross the street. They will look at you like you're crazy. 

Making a left turn onto a busy street is an adventure unto itself. First, as soon as you get the chance, pull out and block the first lane on your left. When you can, pull up further to block the second lane on your left. Eventually, traffic will clear on your right so you can finish your turn, and let the backed up traffic on your left continue. 

Just mentioning that the Red Sox, Celtics, or Patriots lost a game is asking for a fight. I don't mean an argument, but a real fight.

And by the way, they hunt the same way they drive. BEWARE!

I know of what I speak, because I was stationed there for two and a half long years.

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

There are MANY reasons not to be in Mass. The people there are rude, mean, and just nasty.

Driving on the Interstate during rush hour is plain dangerous. The Police don't even do it. Pilgrims use the shoulder as a high speed passing lane. WATCH when you try to exit. 

If you want a laugh, stop for someone waiting to cross the street. They will look at you like you're crazy. 

Making a left turn onto a busy street is an adventure unto itself. First, as soon as you get the chance, pull out and block the first lane on your left. When you can, pull up further to block the second lane on your left. Eventually, traffic will clear on your right so you can finish your turn, and let the backed up traffic on your left continue. 

Just mentioning that the Red Sox, Celtics, or Patriots lost a game is asking for a fight. I don't mean an argument, but a real fight.

I know of what I speak, because I was stationed there for two and a half long years.

Don't want intrude on your anti-Massachusetts tirade, never been there. Truth is that there are assholes in every state, town and podunk village. The gun laws are for sure draconian and I sure as hell don't want to test them......but to label everyone in Massachusetts as assholes is just wrong.

BTW, I've lived in Florida for all of my life and there are just as many jerks here too. Seems to get worse very year but not all of the people who live here are that way. Just can't see labeling an entire state for the actions of a few that you've had encounters with.....now the government is another story.

CS

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Don't want intrude on your anti-Massachusetts tirade, never been there. Truth is that there are assholes in every state, town and podunk village. The gun laws are for sure draconian and I sure as hell don't want to test them......but to label everyone in Massachusetts as assholes is just wrong.

CS

I must agree, there are assholes everywhere. Perhaps I should have said the greater Boston area. There are probably good people throughout the state, but there are a LOT of assholes in the Boston area. Not all, but a lot. Our own Loophole Larue is a good example of good people, (despite being a lawyer).

The commentary I made are from personal observation, NOT second hand. Even you say that you've never been there. I LIVED there for two and a half of the longest years of my life. 

The best example I can give is that during my time as a Marine I met several other Marines who were FROM Mass. To a man they said that they'd NEVER move back there.

We moved from MA in 2001.

Cold snowy winters.

Couldn't get a CCW. Yep I tried, way out in East Longmeadow. They said I needed a reason better than self protection. What better reason could there be?

So happy to have moved to the Sunshine State. Great people, sunny weather. Shall issue.

Waimea

And if you listen you can hear the men who faced off with the lobster-backs at Lexington and Concord roll in their graves. :(

I was stationed in Mass with my new bride in 68-69 before heading to the greater metropolitan Southeast Asia vicinity. Many beautiful spots to visit and I met some great people there too. Love me some lobstah and clam chowdah! 

Alas..like many states, it’s controlled by the urban liberals who tend to ruin everything. I remember an Armed Forcs Day parade we had in Boston. The crowd was less than enthusiastic. At least they didn’t throw anything.

I went to Boston for the first time last September. I was there for a week for training. Everyone I encountered was friendly and hospitable. I finely got to see the USS Constitution. It was a lifelong dream to walk her decks.

Everywhere I went in Boston I encountered friendly and courteous people. I walked pretty much everywhere I went. Had some great food too. Chinatown was pretty cool. I do see myself going back again someday. There is so much history there and so many historical places to see.

One of my new favorite restaurants is the South Street Diner. I had lunch 4 times there. Wonderful people and darn good food.

Heck I even carried my 1 1/2” pocket knife everywhere I went and amazingly enough I wasn’t stopped, frisked or interrogated...:P

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of my new favorite restaurants is the South Street Diner

I had to Google that one; didn't know that what for years was known as "The Blue Diner" had been sold and renamed.  Neat art deco style diner.

Glad to hear that some of our visitors were treated well, and found something of value during their visit.

Not surprised to hear that the late '60's were an unfriendly time for servicemen.  The Vietnam War was very unpopular here, and it wrongly carried over into displays of disrespect toward men in uniform.  At the same time, there are some deep pockets of patriotism here, and especially in working class neighborhoods, a deep appreciation for those who have served.  I could not help but cry when dozens of folks at a Patriots game stopped my elderly father, wearing his WWII Navy Vet cap, and thanked him for his service.  There are good people here; tons of them  Sorry that some folks only met or only recall the bad.

A word of caution.  Our strict gun laws did not suddenly spring up for no reason.  Some are the result of an inability to effectively control urban crime, and the conditions that cause that crime.  Others are the result of political pandering.  Before they went into effect, "everyone" believed that it could never happen here.  But it did, incrementally and without any real concern on the part of many folks.  None of you are safe from the same fate.  Each of you is one horrendous school shooting, or one "progressive" politician away from the same regulations.  No one is immune.  Stay alert and speak up.

LL

You can still own firearms but the state must give you permission to enjoy what the Bill of Rights already covers? Is that correct?

Now the state knows exactly who owns firearms and will know exactly where to come to confiscate them when they decide to do so? Is that about right?

When criminals go to the police station to apply for their firearms owner card… never mind…

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

the state must give you permission

As I read the law, the state SELLS you permission. Every six years, $100.

Not to carry - that's a different $100 license. To OWN. Every six years. $100.

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

As I read the law, the state SELLS you permission. Every six years, $100.

Not to carry - that's a different $100 license. To OWN. Every six years. $100.

Wow.

That's sooooo much better than freedom. 

:o

13 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Wow.

That's sooooo much better than freedom. 

:o

You only need one of the two - not both.

There really is nothing to see here.  You have a constitutional right to travel freely among the states, but you pay a yearly license fee to your state to allow you to exercise it.  You have a right to free speech, but to use it in any meaningful way, you pay a variety of fees for internet access, cell phone service, subscriptions, etc.  The state has no list of guns that I own that it can use to confiscate guns; there are no guns listed on my license; all the license really does is separate me from an illegal gun owner - like a dirt bag.  If I am stopped with guns in the car, the police can quickly tell if they are dealing with a citizen or a criminal.  To get the license, I had to pass a criminal background check, a mental health check, and submit my fingerprints and digitized image - all of which are already on record elsewhere anyway.

I love freedom as much as the next guy.  But I recognize that there is a certain amount of restriction that can be imposed in order to make some people feel safer.  My real beef is not with the licensing, but with the restrictions imposed by our Attorney General on the types and models of guns that can be sold by dealers in the state, and the ban on mail order/internet purchasing of ammo and ammo components.  A whole other topic.

LL

Back in '05, I went on a two month vacation, towing an RV through 43 states, including all the mid-west, east coast and New England states + DC. That's only been 14 years ago, but with my sheltered life in Montana, it never crossed my mind that camping or simply driving through certain states or municipalities with a dozen guns and several thousand rounds of ammo would somehow be illegal.  :mellow:

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I went to Boston for the first time last September. I was there for a week for training. Everyone I encountered was friendly and hospitable. I finely got to see the USS Constitution. It was a lifelong dream to walk her decks.

Everywhere I went in Boston I encountered friendly and courteous people. I walked pretty much everywhere I went. Had some great food too. Chinatown was pretty cool. I do see myself going back again someday. There is so much history there and so many historical places to see.

One of my new favorite restaurants is the South Street Diner. I had lunch 4 times there. Wonderful people and darn good food.

Heck I even carried my 1 1/2” pocket knife everywhere I went and amazingly enough I wasn’t stopped, frisked or interrogated...:P

A buddy and I went to a restaurant in Boston in Chinatown that was a dead ringer for the one in A Christmas Story. The place was pretty much empty. The waiter also was a doppelganger for the owner in the movie. We ordered from column 1. My friend wanted coffee. The waiter bowed and said in his thick accent, I swear, “So solly. No having coffee. Having only tea”. So tea it was. 

I had sweet & sour shrimp with fried rice. No Chinese Christmas turkey.  :D

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

You have a constitutional right to travel freely among the states, but you pay a yearly license fee to your state to allow you to exercise it. 

What fee is that?

Car license plates?

Many people don't own a car, or even have a driver's license. yet they get on buses or trains or airplanes and travel freely among the states.

I noticed the people that live in states with Draconian laws think that is both normal and correct.

In North Carolina, I understand, you need to buy a permit to buy a pistol. Not to own one mind you, but to buy one. Now, I believe the permit is good for multiple guns, and I believe it is good for some length of time. But eventually it will expire, and if you wish to buy another pistol, you need to buy another permit. People in North Carolina think this is normal. I think it's terrible.

People in Illinois must have a firearms owner's identification card to buy guns and ammunition. I understand the FOID is easy to get, and it's not very expensive. But it does expire and have to get renewed. And if they wish to they can cancel it, which then makes it illegal for you to own your own guns. People in Illinois are used to this. They think it is normal. I think it's outrageous.

Here in the United States you are, supposedly, considered innocent until proven guilty. That is the cornerstone of our legal system. Unless you wish to buy a gun. Then you are considered guilty, until you are proven innocent by the background check. Many people think this is a wonderful idea. I consider it outrageous. It's an infringement upon my right to own a gun.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution states clearly my right to carry a gun. Yet the great state of Florida charges me $65 for the privilege of carrying the gun. Many people think this is a great idea. "You get vetted. They know you're honest."

Bullshit.

I have lived all over the USA. Every state has restrictions of one kind or another.

Virginia and New Mexico were long enough ago the laws have been changed. I have no idea what they are now.

When I lived in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Land of taxes and bureaucrats) there was a process where the Sheriff's office was contacted along with a 3 day wait for a handgun.

When I lived in North Carolina. You had to go to the Sheriff's office and apply for a permit to buy handgun. You could get 9 permits that were good for a couple of years, I believe. You had to provide 3 references. They didn't call my references. They called my wife and asked if she had any fears for me buying guns. She laughed and said "No, he has a bunch already". They gave me 4 permits. I asked why not 9? The lady said "Hun, when you need 5 more just drop by and we'll give them to you."

When I lived in Oregon they used the instant background check via the State Police through the Women's Prison in Salem. Those ladies did all the processing online. There was no waiting period except for waiting for the go ahead from state police. It usually took me 1/2 hour but it could take days. If it took more than 3 business days, you had to start over again.

Now I live in California AGAIN. I first moved here in 1982. The gun laws were silly. Now, they are downright ridiculous. I moved here eyes wide open. I know what the restrictions are and I know they violate the Constitution. Knowing that and $2.50 will get you a black coffee at Starbucks. I retire in 4 years. When I do I am out again.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

What fee is that?

Car license plates?

Many people don't own a car, or even have a driver's license. yet they get on buses or trains or airplanes and travel freely among the states.

I was thinking drivers' license - a fee that most folks pay in order to be able to travel.

A drivers license is not a fee to travel. In fact technically you do not even need a license to own a car... provided it never leaves your own property. The license allows you to use public roads and verifies that you actually know how to operate a vehicle so that you don't get others killed while out on the roadway. But if you own your own 100-acre spread you can let your 12yo drive a car on it as long as he knows how.

I equate carry permits to drivers licenses. But a license just to buy a gun and keep it in your own house? That's silly.

I don't remember the part of the Bill of Rights that says these amendments only apply if you pay a fee to earn them and keep them.  I thought the 2nd Amendment was a restriction on the government, not on the People.

It's real simple folks. Get everyone together, and I mean everyone, and work to change things. Preaching to the choir is...well, preaching to the choir. On second thought...

Look at the socialist political movements in this nation over the past 20 years. They have gained a foothold through their antics and their acts. It doesn't hurt they have the press and an entire political party behind them 100%.

What do we have? A political party that blows smoke up our skirts and takes our money. We have a HUGE group of people that will not agree on the color of the sky let alone how to fight for our rights. We have a multitude of gun rights organizations that are impotent because they are a multitude. We have the NRA that everyone is a proud member of until the NRA needs money and then not so much. 

Until we get mad enough to do something en masse we get what we get. Period.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
On 4/23/2019 at 5:31 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Sorry , but this is fake news.:FlagAm:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

What fee is that?

Car license plates?

The right to free travel  walk  ;)

Every state has its own set of problems .I do not know why so many think this is the land of the free it never has been  and never was intended to be. So, as my Pappy used to say "SUCK IT UP, AND STOP WHINING" ;) I love my country  with all its flaws and failings, I served and bled for my flag and I would do so again. :FlagAm:

7 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Every state has its own set of problems .I do not know why so many think this is the land of the free it never has been  and never was intended to be. So, as my Pappy used to say "SUCK IT UP, AND STOP WHINING" ;) I love my country  with all its flaws and failings, I served and bled for my flag and I would do so again. :FlagAm:

Never intended to be free?

Then why did the colonists go to war with the British fighting for a better way of life, free from the tyranny the Crown held over the Colonies?

Archived