SASS Wire Forum

Conversion cylinders, what's legal?

Smokey Dave

Howdy all. I have a couple questions about the conversion cylinders. I've read the rule book and it appears that they are legal, even the 5 shot type. My questions are, what is the proper handling of a gun that has one?

I am just assuming that, at the loading table you remove the cylinder, insert your 5 cartridges, show person working the table that you've loaded it, replace the cylinder in the gun, put the hammer down between cylinders and you're good. The cylinder has safety notches between the stop notches. 

At the unloading table, remove the cylinder, remove the empty cartridges, show it's empty and replace the cylinder. Also, would it be better if each chamber had a small window cut in the rim area so it would be easy to see if it's loaded or not?

Here's why I ask. I want to use this gun in a match. It is a converted 51' Navy Sheriff in .44 caliber. I have a Howell .45 Colt cylinder installed. It is a wonderful shooting gun. The cylinder has safety notches between the stop notches. 

Is it safe and legal to use in a match?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_1560.jpg

Yep, it's legal in all categories except Frontiersman, which still must maintain Cap & Ball configuration.  Loading and unloading at the LT and UT are just as you described.

I shoot 1851’s with 5 shot conversion cylinders all the time and when I’m placing the hammer on the safety notch, I have tried several times to show the LTO and not one of them had had a clue what I’m talking about lol.

YMMV

BD

In 45 cartridge conversion cylinders, don't shoot full factory smokeless loads all the time.  It's hard on you, and hard on the gun.   The frame will stretch with a lot of smokeless loads near 13,000 PSI, because the gun was designed and tested with BP loads making more like 7,000 PSI.   A light Cowboy 45 Special or 45 Schofield load may be all you want most of the time.

18 minutes ago, Buckshot Dobbs said:

I shoot 1851’s with 5 shot conversion cylinders all the time and when I’m placing the hammer on the safety notch, I have tried several times to show the LTO and not one of them had had a clue what I’m talking about lol.

YMMV

BD

Buckshot, that's why I was wondering about cutting the little window notches in the breech end of the cylinder, right at the rim. Then it's readily apparent whether the gun is loaded or not.

20 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

In 45 cartridge conversion cylinders, don't shoot full factory smokeless loads all the time.  It's hard on you, and hard on the gun.   The frame will stretch with a lot of smokeless loads near 13,000 PSI, because the gun was designed and tested with BP loads making more like 7,000 PSI.   A light Cowboy 45 Special or 45 Schofield load may be all you want most of the time.

I agree with that Garrison Joe, that's why I only run BP in my conversion guns. I haven't used light smokeless loads in it yet. I'm having too much fun with BP.

10 minutes ago, Smokey Dave said:

Buckshot, that's why I was wondering about cutting the little window notches in the breech end of the cylinder, right at the rim. Then it's readily apparent whether the gun is loaded or not.

I agree with that Garrison Joe, that's why I only run BP in my conversion guns. I haven't used light smokeless loads in it yet. I'm having too much fun with BP.

I’ve never had anyone even question me about if they are safe when I holster, they almost always say “I guarantee you are more familiar with em than I am” lol...:as for the windows, I have some got conversion cylinders for my New Model Army Remington's and they have the windows and are 6 shot,  and folks still are clueless....don’t worry no one will give you any trouble, just load em up, put the hammer on a safety notch, holster em and go have some fun!! 

BD

p.s. I shoot light smokeless loads in mine all the time, as long as I keep em under 800fps I’ve never worried about it.

Thank you Buckshot, I appreciate the help!

On my Uberti 58's with Kirst conversions, they are 5 shoot but have a 6th "dummy chamber" that isn't bored through. So the hammer always goes on the dummy chamber. I do get funny looks from time to time but it's easy to explain...

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

On my Uberti 58's with Kirst conversions, they are 5 shoot but have a 6th "dummy chamber" that isn't bored through. So the hammer always goes on the dummy chamber. I do get funny looks from time to time but it's easy to explain...

I bet it has nothing to do with your 58's cylinder.

Archived