SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron vs Stoeger Coach Gun

Double Pipe Classic

Hi all, 

I've been wanting to get a coach gun and was leaning toward getting a hammerless dual trigger Stoeger in 12 gauge. I went to a couple local gun shops to see what they had and I came across a dual trigger Cimarron hammer coach and I really liked the classic looks of the hammers. I asked the owner if he sells a lot of them and he said the gun has been sitting on his shelf for years and he's selling it at cost bc nobody seems interested in it. I'm torn between the two guns so wanted to get some input from you all to see what you'd recommend?

The Stoeger is $430 and the Cimarron is $460 but since it's been sitting for so long I might be able to get it for less than that. 

FWIW I don't currently shoot CAS but it's something I'm interested in trying. So for the time being it would mostly be just a "fun gun" that would potentially be used for CAS down the road. 

Thanks 

Either is fine so it comes down to personal preference.  There is only one category in which the Stoeger would not be allowed.  The external hammers add a step to the process of reloading the gun but with practice some folks can shoot a hammer double pretty quickly.

Go to a local match and check out the game.

Well ... To be completely fair, at that price, there are those of us whom would race you to the gun shop to snap up that Hammer Double.  Really FUN guns.  Useable in ANY SASS category.

Um ..... Where is this Gun Shop??

Look closely at the surface of the metal inside the bores of both shotguns. You will see that the Stogers bores are quite rough and the Cimarron bores may be much smoother. The smoother barrel will be easier to clean. If chokes are fixed on both guns, what are they? I enjoy shooting my open chocked hammer gun.

14 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Well ... To be completely fair, at that price, there are those of us whom would race you to the gun shop to snap up that Hammer Double.  Really FUN guns.  Useable in ANY SASS category.

Um ..... Where is this Gun Shop??

Well until I make my decision I'll just say it's somewhere in Missouri :). But if I opt not to buy it I'd be happy to provide all the info. It's a small operation so not sure if they ship though. 

7 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Id take that hammer gun at that price

Yeah the price seems right. I just haven't been able to find many reviews on it to. Pretty basic gun though so I'm assuming it goes bang when you want it to. I handled it for a bit and it's built like a tank. 

14 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

Look closely at the surface of the metal inside the bores of both shotguns. You will see that the Stogers bores are quite rough and the Cimarron bores may be much smoother. The smoother barrel will be easier to clean. If chokes are fixed on both guns, what are they? I enjoy shooting my open chocked hammer gun.

Thanks for the info! I'm planning to check them out again tomorrow and will check the bores. Both guns are fixed open chokes. 

OK DPC,

Here is the skinny on the Cimarron/TTN Hammer Double.  Currently the most popular Hammer Double in CAS.  The guns are a little rough on the inside.  You are correct, they are built like tanks.  Tough as nails.  Bad feature ..... the little decorative "horns" on the top of the hammers are "MEAT SLICERS" when you're trying to go fast.  Most EVERYBODY dulls them down or outright remove em.  The guns take a licking and keep on ticking.  Once in a while a Main Spring will go away, but parts are available.

I personally have been shooting them for about 10 years.  I have Three.  Obviously, I like them alot.  Your Call.

Hi Double Pipe,

That's a good price on the Cimarron.  Where I live in Northeastern Ohio, local gun merchants want over $500.

You should buy it 'cause it's an inexpensive fun gun and when you get tired of it; sell it to a cowboy shooter at a reasonable price!  :lol:

I use one all the time in the winter.  It's good to use a different gun once in a while!  Buy it as a starter gun for CAS; the price is right!

Mo

You are unlikely to find another Cimarron hammer gun at cost. I would buy it. I have both a Stoeger and the Cimarron coach gun (in its previous iteration as TTN) and the hammered gun is more fun. Of course you know that eventually you will own them both but I'd start with the Cimarron.

If this is a Cimarron Model 1878CG standard blue 1878 Coach Gun then the price is indeed right at regular dealer cost, which of course, is good.  But, if purchased on a Cimarron sale, you might get at tad cheaper price with offer to help dealer move the product..  BTW, Any other letters on the Model number (1878CGUS01, or the Doc Holliday Model SH906) would surely make price much more of a bargain.  If you are interested in a hammer double then this should be good start, and Cimarron does have great products.

13 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

You are unlikely to find another Cimarron hammer gun at cost. I would buy it. I have both a Stoeger and the Cimarron coach gun (in its previous iteration as TTN) and the hammered gun is more fun. Of course you know that eventually you will own them both but I'd start with the Cimarron.

Haha yeah you are probably right that i'll end up with both at some point. I've seen 'TTN' thrown around a couple times. Is the TTN the same as the Cimarron but imported by a different company?

4 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

If this is a Cimarron Model 1878CG standard blue 1878 Coach Gun then the price is indeed right at regular dealer cost, which of course, is good.  But, if purchased on a Cimarron sale, you might get at tad cheaper price with offer to help dealer move the product..  BTW, Any other letters on the Model number (1878CGUS01, or the Doc Holliday Model SH906) would surely make price much more of a bargain.  If you are interested in a hammer double then this should be good start, and Cimarron does have great products.

Thanks for the info! I know it's not the doc holiday version but I'm going to swing by the shop after work and will check the model number.

52 minutes ago, Double Pipe Classic said:

...Haha yeah you are probably right that i'll end up with both at some point. I've seen 'TTN' thrown around a couple times. Is the TTN the same as the Cimarron but imported by a different company?...

When those hammer guns first came into the country they were sold as TTN.  About a dozen years or so ago they were bought out by Cimarron and started putting the Cimarron name on the gun.  A lot of people still call them TTN out of habit.

One more question (I hope) since you all have been so helpful. I just cleaned the gun for the first time and the extractor fell out when I tilted it up. There is a notch on the bottom of the extractor and what appears to be a set screw on the bottom of the barrel assembly (which I am assuming allows the extractor to extract without falling out if tightened a bit). Just wanted your opinions if i'm completely off base or if this is by design as I haven't seen anything in the manual and haven't found anything online. 

Thanks

cimarron 3.JPG

cimarron 2.JPG

Tighten the set screw, it shouldn't fall out like that.

Yup, just tighten the screw, check the ejector as you tighten it, so that it’s not binding up on the screw.

As for the gun being hard to break open, read up on slicking it up, polish mating surfaces etc wil help.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, Double Pipe Classic said:

Well until I make my decision I'll just say it's somewhere in Missouri :). But if I opt not to buy it I'd be happy to provide all the info. It's a small operation so not sure if they ship though. 

Yeah the price seems right. I just haven't been able to find many reviews on it to. Pretty basic gun though so I'm assuming it goes bang when you want it to. I handled it for a bit and it's built like a tank. 

Was the owners name Scott ?

If'n on those hammers, if you can cock BOTH easily at the same time......that would be a good thing.;)

Hammer time!

If you also use your SxS for home defense, the Hammered double can be left loaded, with no stress on any springs, and just as safe as a single action revolver because it can't be fired without being cocked. That's pretty safe.

Any other loaded SxS can be fired just by pulling a trigger, maybe dealing with a safety.  Maybe. 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:55 AM, ChuteTheMall said:

the Hammered double can be left loaded, with no stress on any springs, and just as safe as a single action revolver because it can't be fired without being cocked. That's pretty safe.

Please consider the crucial difference: There's no life round under the hammer in the revolver until you cock it, but if the coach falls on a hammer it can go BOOM!

Edit: Just learned that hammers are secured until trigger is pulled. Thank you Abilene!

Equanimous

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:04 AM, Double Pipe Classic said:

One more question (I hope) since you all have been so helpful. I just cleaned the gun for the first time and the extractor fell out when I tilted it up. There is a notch on the bottom of the extractor and what appears to be a set screw on the bottom of the barrel assembly (which I am assuming allows the extractor to extract without falling out if tightened a bit). Just wanted your opinions if i'm completely off base or if this is by design as I haven't seen anything in the manual and haven't found anything online. 

Thanks

cimarron 3.JPG

cimarron 2.JPG

Man, that thing broke already?? I'll give ya $300 for it. :D

On 4/29/2019 at 3:23 AM, Equanimous Phil said:

Please consider the crucial difference: There's no life round under the hammer in the revolver until you cock it, but if the coach falls on a hammer it can go BOOM!

Equanimous

The '78 Coach gun has rebounding hammers which need the trigger pulled before the hammer can move forward from rest.

22 hours ago, Ya Big Tree said:

Double Pipe Classic said:

I just cleaned the gun for the first time and the extractor fell out when I tilted it up. There is a notch on the bottom of the extractor and what appears to be a set screw on the bottom of the barrel assembly (which I am assuming allows the extractor to extract without falling out if tightened a bit)

Yes, DPC, that is the function of the set screw.  It has to be tight enough to retain the extractor, but loose enough so the extractor actually moves properly.  Find that spot, then lock-tite (purple low strength) the screw at that position. 

Good luck, GJ

On 4/27/2019 at 9:59 PM, Red Rider Rudy said:

Was the owners name Scott ?

Not sure what the owners name is but I bought it at Triple Threat Armory in Affton MO. 

On 4/27/2019 at 11:26 PM, Griff said:

Should'a bought both!

Haha I'm sure that'll happen sometime down the road. The Cimarron just seemed like it was harder to find so I figured I'd start with that one. 

On 4/27/2019 at 6:07 PM, EnglishMike said:

Yup, just tighten the screw, check the ejector as you tighten it, so that it’s not binding up on the screw.

As for the gun being hard to break open, read up on slicking it up, polish mating surfaces etc wil help.

Thanks. I've got it tightened up now. Planning on trying it for the first time after work today!

2 minutes ago, Double Pipe Classic said:

Not sure what the owners name is but I bought it at Triple Threat Armory in Affton MO. 

Haha I'm sure that'll happen sometime down the road. The Cimarron just seemed like it was harder to find so I figured I'd start with that one. 

That's what I thought, he's a friend of mine.

Archived