SASS Wire Forum

Today's legal question

Alpo

Leave us say I am a teenage girl who has just had a baby. And, knowing that I cannot take care of a kid, I give it up for adoption. Sign away my parental rights.

It is now several years later, and I am at a point in my life that I believe I can handle a child. My kid is still in the system (because no one wants that obnoxious little brat), and I track it down and announce that I want my kid back.

Do I have to adopt it? Since I signed away my rights back then, it seems like, legally, it's not my kid anymore.

Web comic. Selkie.

16 year old Todd knocks up 16 year old Andi. Andi's mother convinces her that raising a child would ruin her life. She gives the baby up for adoption.

When Todd arrives at the hospital (he had been stuck in traffic) Andi tells him the baby was stillborn

8 years later Todd adopts Selkie. Andi and Todd have broken up by now. Seeing how much enjoyment Todd is getting from having a child makes Andi want hers. In the strip she just "proves" she's the child's mother (DNA, I presume) and they give her to her.

Obligatory drama. Amanda - the "stillborn" baby - and Selkie were at the same orphanage, and hate each other. And since Todd - her father - adopted Selkie, that makes her and Selkie sisters.

Pard YA needs ta get out Shootin More .....

Or Ya can come and Fetch Coffee and Sweep da Floor in my Shop while I Work on Guns and Do the Test firing ... For the completion Check ...

Jabez Cowboy

So since we're talking teenagers, the court is going to appoint an attorney for the baby, an attorney for the mom, an attorney for the dad, an attorney for the parents of the mom and an attorney for the parents of the dad.  Probate court will make a ruling.  Of course that will be appealed to the Circuit court.  That will be appealed, well because the taxpayers are paying for all the attorneys.  The Circuit court ruling will be appealed to the State Court of Appeals, the of course to the state Supreme Court.  Since this is not really a case concerning states rights, it will wind its way to the Federal system, because of course the real issue will have something to do with someones civil rights being violated by some poor Family Services employee who was just trying to make sure the baby was safe in the first place.

Archived