SASS Wire Forum

Shooting My New Winchester 73

Rube Burrows

Been a busy couple weeks so I had not got to even shoot my new 73. That is till yesterday. Took it out and ran a couple hundred rounds through it. Functioned flawlessly. Once I adjusted the sights on it I was shooting it pretty well.

My one and only complaint on the rifle is how hard I have to squeeze the lever safety for it to shoot. There were a couple times when it cost me split seconds from having to squeeze harder and I am not speed shooter to begin with.

Here is a quick video of a couple magazines through it and then some close ups of the rifle. Fit and finish were excellent.

Looks to be the same configuration as the one I have in 44WCF.   I shot it in a couple of matches in 17 but didn't take it out in 18.  No real reason as it shoots fine.  Just my Marlins are shorter,  lighter and easier (for me) to maintain. 

59e604ec79e37_MarlinandWinchester44WCFOct2017.jpg.e9ea3cf683317fa6b41e37b74e2109d7.jpg

Most CA shooters don't wrap their thumb around the stock of the rifle. In time you may want to try to learn this technique. When I first started, (which wasn't that long ago) I wrapped. An experienced shooter in my local club taught me to keep the thumb down on the side of the receiver. It takes a while to get used to this, because most of us by learning or instinct wrap the thumb around the stock. But, it can be done. It can shave a second or two off of your rifle time. When you get good enough to compete with the really good shooters, any time saved is a big deal. Happy shooting.

6 hours ago, Lawman Mays said:

Most CA shooters don't wrap their thumb around the stock of the rifle. In time you may want to try to learn this technique. When I first started, (which wasn't that long ago) I wrapped. An experienced shooter in my local club taught me to keep the thumb down on the side of the receiver. It takes a while to get used to this, because most of us by learning or instinct wrap the thumb around the stock. But, it can be done. It can shave a second or two off of your rifle time. When you get good enough to compete with the really good shooters, any time saved is a big deal. Happy shooting.

Good tip. I do actually shoot like that sometimes when going for speed. Here I was just shooting down into a pit. Targets were roughly 50 yards away and down so I was aiming.

12 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Excellent, such fine rifles. Cowboy Carty sells and excellent lever safety/ trigger spring that works extremely well and is a 100% improvement. 

I have seen lots of his work online when I was researching in order to decide if I wanted a Uberti or Winchester. Does he have a site ? I would be interested in ordering it.

15 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Looks to be the same configuration as the one I have in 44WCF.   I shot it in a couple of matches in 17 but didn't take it out in 18.  No real reason as it shoots fine.  Just my Marlins are shorter,  lighter and easier (for me) to maintain. 

59e604ec79e37_MarlinandWinchester44WCFOct2017.jpg.e9ea3cf683317fa6b41e37b74e2109d7.jpg

Great looking pair.

Archived