SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 question

Irish Pat

I recently had my 1941winchester 1897 refinished.  The action is now a lot tighter than it formerly was.  It had been very slick to shift.  I know I probably should have left it alone but it is now real pretty but hard to pump at the old speed for SASS stages. Any suggestions what was altered and what I should do make it go faster?  Irish Pat

Main spring screw was tighted all the way is most likely what happened. I'd try to explain where it is, but if you head to mauraders website he has a picture which makes it super simple.

I took mine to the range with some cheap sellier and belloit shells, and adjusted it til it just set those off reliably. The Winchester and federal primers I normally use are a lot softer so I dont worry about making it too light.

On 4/21/2019 at 5:41 PM, Irish-Pat said:

I recently had my 1941winchester 1897 refinished.  The action is now a lot tighter than it formerly was.  It had been very slick to shift.  I know I probably should have left it alone but it is now real pretty but hard to pump at the old speed for SASS stages. Any suggestions what was altered and what I should do make it go faster?  Irish Pat

A little off topic here, but who did the refinish work? I’ve got quite a few guns that are worth more to me as pretty shooting irons than original condition collectibles. 

A local ex-marine armorer that built marine  target guns then worked for Colt.  He is s life SASS member.  I had him parkerize mine because that is what I wanted. I know it was not standard finish but I like it.  Send me a personal message for his name and phone 

Archived