SASS Wire Forum

Speakin' of "tree..."

Not to be confused with SDJ's "tree" story...

Big ol' tree in the back yard died ~ drought victim.  

Right at 40' tall, too close to the house, an obvious hazard.  Would have done considerable damage if it came down on the house.  Estimate to take it out many hundreds of dollars, just to drop the thing; no cutting it up, no hauling it off.  Okay; no problem ~ I have plenty of chainsaws and a chipper.  As soon as the weather dries a bit...

Two weeks ago we had a windstorm, and I sweated it... any branches that might snap off would hit the house.  It survived.  last week we had another, stronger windstorm.  I came home late that night, went out back with a flashlight, and - that sucker was DOWN!  The only damage was a palm tree that I wanted to get rid of and a broken ladder by the palm tree.  It missed everything else - Paul Bunyan couldn't have done it any more perfectly!  

Thank you, God!  :lol:

So I've been a chainsawing and chipper-ing fool ever since.  ^_^

1249008119_Tree1.thumb.jpg.00f5aa2f48ecaf29aab212e5b372e9a0.jpg

you got lucky....several years ago me and the ex had a dead tree we were trying to save money for to have taken down decided it had other plans during a windstorm in the middle of one night....woke up to no power, heat, phone, cable, or internet in the morning....and the only cell we had was a cheap pay as you go flip phone for emergencies that the battery was almost dead on.  Tree missed the house, but got a direct hit on both the power and cable lines...everything both lines were attached to was ripped off the house.  The cable part wasn't bad, but fixing the damage caused by the electrical line and meter being ripped out cost over $8000....thank goodness insurance covered most of it....

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Not to be confused with SDJ's "tree" story...

Big ol' tree in the back yard died ~ drought victim.  

Right at 40' tall, too close to the house, an obvious hazard.  Would have done considerable damage if it came down on the house.  Estimate to take it out many hundreds of dollars, just to drop the thing; no cutting it up, no hauling it off.  Okay; no problem ~ I have plenty of chainsaws and a chipper.  As soon as the weather dries a bit...

Two weeks ago we had a windstorm, and I sweated it... any branches that might snap off would hit the house.  It survived.  last week we had another, stronger windstorm.  I came home late that night, went out back with a flashlight, and - that sucker was DOWN!  The only damage was a palm tree that I wanted to get rid of and a broken ladder by the palm tree.  It missed everything else - Paul Bunyan couldn't have done it any more perfectly!  

Thank you, God!  :lol:

So I've been a chainsawing and chipper-ing fool ever since.  ^_^

1249008119_Tree1.thumb.jpg.00f5aa2f48ecaf29aab212e5b372e9a0.jpg

With that determined look on your face, one might think that you pulled it out barehanded.....:lol:

I had a silver maple growing between the overhead lines feeding my house and my neighbors. We were waiting for it to come down in a storm. Two tree companies said it would be north of a grand to take out -if WE did the cleanup. One day the power company guy was walking the lines checking for tree intrusion and my wife caught up with him. Next thing I know it's cut down and all the small limbs were gone. We burned that tree for three years in the fireplace and my buddy had camp wood for at least that long. All free but for a little sweat!

My wife's cousin was in the area doing tree service work. He stopped by and saw we had a bad looking tree about 10 feet from the house. He cut it down on his lunch break. $65 said he would have done it for free but he wasn't working alone that day. I think he used it for fuel and his helper.

If you ask nicely most power companies will remove trees that threaten power lines.  Every two or three years I get them to cut the limbs that block by satellite dish for free. They do it because the main feed to the house is under the limbs and if I cut them they could potentially fall on the lines.  I always provide the workers refreshments and make the job as easy as possible.  Amazing what you can get done if you ask politely.

Couple summers ago we had a bad storm come through.  out at the front of the park are some REALLY big oaks in front and beside a couple older homes. the one had a double trunk and one of them busted off. it was approx. 16" in diameter. that half landed between both homes damaging just a small part of the one home's carport and putting a dent in the car's fender.They were lucky, that could've been real bad. Clean up took a while as there was a lot of tree to get rid of:rolleyes::o:blush:

You guys are killin' me with all these stories 'bout my kin dying. Your kuttin', mutilating, and a burnin' em.  :blink::blink::( 

and Slim!! Right in my own back yard.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:58 AM, Michigan Slim said:

I had a silver maple growing between the overhead lines feeding my house and my neighbors. We were waiting for it to come down in a storm. Two tree companies said it would be north of a grand to take out -if WE did the cleanup. One day the power company guy was walking the lines checking for tree intrusion and my wife caught up with him. Next thing I know it's cut down and all the small limbs were gone. We burned that tree for three years in the fireplace and my buddy had camp wood for at least that long. All free but for a little sweat!

Had the power company ring my door bell about a year after we moved in.  Wanted to know if I could let them in to do something with their gear on a pole directly behind my NE corner.  Said they needed to get to it and would I mind if they cut away some of the forty-five foot pine growing there.  I told them I didn't care if I took the whole tree down.  They said they could do that and I asked how much.  Three hours later the tree was gone, nothing but the stump left.  A few weeks later a guy showed up and removed the stump, too.  All gone and cleaned up and it only cost me three Whoppers and three soft drinks.

50 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Had the power company ring my door bell about a year after we moved in.  Wanted to know if I could let them in to do something with their gear on a pole directly behind my NE corner.  Said they needed to get to it and would I mind if they cut away some of the forty-five foot pine growing there.  I told them I didn't care if I took the whole tree down.  They said they could do that and I asked how much.  Three hours later the tree was gone, nothing but the stump left.  A few weeks later a guy showed up and removed the stump, too.  All gone and cleaned up and it only cost me three Whoppers and three soft drinks.

Exactly! We never saw the guys pull ours out. I was at work and my wife was out. It just happened! They even laid down boards so there wouldn't be any ruts or divots in the yard. Most of it was already firewood length too.

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Exactly! We never saw the guys pull ours out. I was at work and my wife was out. It just happened! They even laid down boards so there wouldn't be any ruts or divots in the yard. Most of it was already firewood length too.

They hauled mine away.  I don't have a fire place, much to my sorrow.

Archived