SASS Wire Forum

Motorized gun cart

Come On Christmas

Golf carts are expensive.  I don’t do used well.

I was wondering if anyone has attached a vertical gun rack on back of a 4 wheeler.

Im thinking a 125 cc or 250 cc.  I won’t use it for any other use so I could use a 50 cc, but I’m thinking those are made for kiddos.  

I don’t walk so far so good anymore.  My favorite place to shoot there is quite a distance between stages.

cheaper Chinese models?

pictures?

Shameless

I was wondering if anyone has attached a vertical gun rack on back of a 4 wheeler.

Yep, seen several done like that.   Perhaps an owner will publish his pics.

Several folks here in Texas have used various 4 wheelers to mount gun racks on.  You will see several at either Cleburne or Leonard or Bar 3.  Don't know where you are from but if possible you might check out one of these clubs.

Ben Scalped

Yep, we have a guy that uses one. I don't have any problem with people that need to use something to keep them enjoying shooting. Might be there someday. Maybe soon.

Here is a picture of my golf cart that we use to shoot in. It has a long gun rack that holds 4 guns that I got from Rugger Gear, it just bolts to the floor on the passenger's side.  We also have a basket in the front of the windshield that I carry an ammo bag and a few other things we might need while shooting a match.  I carry the golf cart in the back of my pickup and tow our camper behind the truck at out of town matches that we shoot.

Kajun

IMG_6070[4658].JPG

IMG_6126[4659].JPG

Shamless, I’ve seen one ATV with a tall box on the rear into which long guns are racked, and think it’s hooked to the trailer hitch and the cargo rack.

A golf cart is adaptable, but an obviously extra expense if you already have the ATV.

This EZGO was stripped of it’s golf bag security but the big arms on either side were left intact.  A frame of angle iron was attached, and the a box set into it, and a box on either side.  A shelf covers the gap at the base of the boxes, and another shelf is fitted just above the arms.  A Rugged Gear vertical 4-gun rack, detachable, carries long guns.  The rack can be moved to other vehicles that have a base mounting plate installed.

This was to be a prototype and then the production model would be better finished.  The proto worked so well that there is no production model. A cabinet maker would undoubtedly frown upon the quality of work!

Rugged Gear makes horizontal mounts for cargo racks on ATVs too, and for that I’d slip the long guns into a case before racking them horizontally.

P5308825.JPG

P5308824.JPG

WarWagon 03s.jpg

WarWagon 05s.jpg

While I don't have a dog in this fight, anything gas operated is going to be loud and the exhaust will smell.  As a courtesy to those around you, I'd stay electric despite the cost. 

Also, I don't know any rules at your club or local ordinances, or those you may visit, but they may restrict gas as well.  Also, there are places you may visit where you want a cart, and the gas ones may not be allowed. 

YMMV, and good luck.  After building my gun cart the other day, and dragging two roller bags through some major airports, I was like "man a golf cart would sure make things easier) :D

Due to not being able to walk or stand long I built a gun racl on the back of a 4-wheeler and used it for many years

Then I got a Polaris Ranger and built a rack in the back to haul  our guns

while the Ranger is a little big, at times the rest of the posse loads their carts on my trailer and away we go

I have seen folks use 4 wheel ATVs, but to me, the getting on and off would seem a bit cumbersome.  I've also see a couple of folks build a motorized cart starting with an old riding lawn mower.

51 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

With the likely future bringing us electric riding mowers, one of those would be ideal to convert to a guncart.

Here's my riding mower.  Doubt they'll make an electric version any time soon.

Capture1.PNG

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

There are goat carts . . .

As an elementary teacher I think about the children’s book OXCART MAN.

Here's my riding mower.  Doubt they'll make an electric version any time soon.

Capture1.PNG

Shameless,

They make 3 wheeled electric carts for golf clubs that resemble the 3 wheeled carts commonly used is SASS, and look like they will fit in the trunk of your car or back of an SUV.  This site has many, and they vary greatly in prices.  The lower priced units look like they may suit your needs:

https://www.readygolf.com/equipment/carts/motorized-golf-carts/

20 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

...They make 3 wheeled electric carts for golf clubs...

Last week someone was telling that there is a model that will follow you around.  Might want to turn off that feature before heading to the firing line. :)

With my back issues it became imperative that I use a different form of gun cart at some of the harder to maneuver ranges and thanks to my pard, Bitter Root Larry who told me about the Tzora mobility scooter, I built this one and used it for the first time up at The Crap Shoot at RR -Bar a couple of weeks ago and it helped a bunch. I had to modify the basket carrier that comes with the scooter and build a bracket that mounts to the gun cabinet and slips onto the wheelie bar on the back of the scooter, everything else was just woodwork.

I can install and remove the chest and gun cabinet in 15 seconds or less. There are two pins on each side of the basket carrier that hold the gun cabinet to the scooter and by removing those two pins and moving the gun cabinet forward and lifting up it comes right off. The chest just sits on the framework for the basket and it lifts off also. 

The Tzora scooter disassembles very easily and the heaviest piece is 58lbs but trying to load the two bulkier pieces by myself was problematic so I built two ramps and installed an ATV winch on the front of the pickup bed and I winch the scooter into the truck and lay the cabinet and chest on the back seat or on the gun vault beside the scooter. I also carry my 9 pack soft sided cooler under the chest and in front of the gun cabinet, you can see it in a couple of the pictures.E72F9DF9-88AE-4E35-AAE6-0A5CD11E915A.thumb.jpeg.4b8a597268c5d05e359cba38bc18e140.jpeg

D1293FD6-0AFD-4953-9A0B-D3CF80E5E30C.jpeg

5FF55194-8844-4841-B383-AA04D56FA67C.jpeg

1B8795B7-5F66-4D2B-8E26-26BCDE38554A.jpeg

804369CF-5E14-4958-84AA-20E44819ABC9.jpeg

DEBDCE7A-A77C-4870-A957-826EABAB6ABD.jpeg

DB8DF074-8804-43E5-AF18-20E7EFFF8180.jpeg

094EFA4E-704A-43D3-93EB-088DE44C3650.jpeg

325BFF89-8EB9-4E86-95C7-22238965B398.jpeg

Yep, it’s battery powered. They are rated at 15.5 miles with a 300 lb load. I drove it around up at RR-Bar a bunch with the gun cabinet, guns and loaded chest and cooler and then a lot without all of that stuff and I still had 60% battery charge when I got home so I’m not to concerned about batteries going dead. I put stop leak in the tires when I first got it because I learned about that early on. 

2 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

Yul

that would be great for ranges with smaller bays or a large posse 

Yes, we had both of those up at the Crap Shoot and there were two of using the same type of scooter on the same posse and there was plenty of room, 18 shooters on our posse.

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Mount a solar panel for a sun shade. ^_^

Looking at where that cart is made, makes it easy to understand why it's so well made and highly reviewed.

Looks like you found a winner :excl:

OLG

The Israelis make a nice scooter. The batteries are really easy to remove and reinstall. When Mrs. Lose drags me to the mall or some other place on a domestic tranquility mission the two of us break the cart down in less than a minute and load it up and then unload it and put it together quickly also. They’re allowed almost everywhere. We had it out at the Wild Animal/Safari Park not long ago and it worked out very well. Last summer we went on a cruise and we rented one that we kept right there on the cruise ship and our cabin boy would put it away and deliver it each morning and if you left the ship you didn’t have to wait in any lines embarking or disembarking they got me right on and off.

My 65th Birthday was the 12th!

i have Medicare!

I could purchase a hoveround for little to no cost!

This could change the whole outlook of Land Run in Oklahoma!

A new market for increased SASS membership, GERIATRICS!

8 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Any handling issues with all that extra weight behind the rear wheels? Light steering, popping wheelies?

No handling issues. The cabinet doesn't weigh that much and neither does the chest, even loaded. As I mentioned above there is a wheelie bar with two small wheels that the cabinet sits on. At the range where the Crap Shoot is there is uphill and downhill travel involved and it is also pretty sandy in some areas and the scooter/cart handled well.

4 minutes ago, Shameless Womanizer 57929 said:

My 65th Birthday was the 12th!

i have Medicare!

I could purchase a hoveround for little to no cost!

This could change the whole outlook of Land Run in Oklahoma!

A new market for increased SASS membership, GERIATRICS!

That was getting to be the big issue with me. There were a lot of ranges where pushing a cart around or even walking around a lot with no cart to lean on was getting pretty tough for me. I hadn’t been to the Crap Shoot in four years because of that and now it’ll be an annual event as will others. I had the scooter at EOT last year without the gun cart and it did very well, now I’m thinking about shooting the match next year as well as being a Waddie.

Here are some pictures of the way the cart is mounted to the scooter. If you buy the Tzora there are optional accessories that you can buy for it that will help with any mounting issues. You’ll notice a U shaped bar coming off of the wheelie bar. That is where my bracket that I had built sits when the gun cabinet is attached to the scooter. The oak bar across the back of the cabinet fits over those two pieces of pipe on the basket frame and is held in place with two pins, you can see the type I use in one of the chest trays. The batteries are two units and they install and remove one handed, no work at all. PM m if you would like more pictures or have any questions.

806CB7BC-36FC-4163-ACBE-5B05ED3C663E.jpeg

50BB729F-B5F4-4042-887C-67522F641288.jpeg

15AE4105-1E52-4EEA-9E02-6DC6FBD34BD1.jpeg

6FAD3BC1-B1E1-47FD-AEA5-5DED88678AB6.jpeg

0CE5683D-A576-479B-A137-C3E84D08D242.jpeg

8A3FCD0B-EC2A-4F2D-916D-6FAFE8638C0D.jpeg

139346B8-0445-446A-8D8E-F59DD4004CBD.jpeg

72DE95AF-A9EE-40E3-9A40-50519F29BC02.jpeg

AA07BDF1-4445-4A85-84A2-A046AE3C97FF.jpeg

345020E6-F4DA-4311-8354-EC568F833147.jpeg

IMG_0382_zps9c5be5cd.jpg

48 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yul-Can the batteries be recharged if they are in the cart?

OLG

Yes, that is the only way I can recharge it although they now have a charger that will recharge the batteries off of the cart.

Archived