SASS Wire Forum

Things you would not name your kids

Alpo

You have to use some thoughtful understanding when it comes to ethnic/cultural/family names.  It can be very important in some families to connect with or continue their traditions.  My wife was the first member of her family to be born in the US; they emigrated here just after WWII, after being forced out of their country by the advancing Soviets.  When you forcibly lose your home and your homeland, you tend to cling to any part of your traditions that you can.

My wife's first name is Dace, pronounced roughly in American as "Dutsy".  Nobody gets that right, and even after explaining, she gets a lot of mispronunciations (like Betsy, Dusty, Dacey, and even Busty).  But it is also a tie to who she is and where she came from,  and she would never change it.  It seemed very natural to her folks.  And it is pretty mild compared to some other girl's names in her culture, like Gundega and Clitia.

We carefully picked our son's names to reflect his ethnic roots, but to be more easily pronounced by average folks.  

LL

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I was a wee one, my grandmother was a telephone operator.

She once told of a person she talked with named Ulysses. She asked him to spell it and he spelled out U...S...E...L...E...S...S.

Then, I wanted to name my number two son Major Anthony Nelson, but Momma wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I have a cousin who was married to a guy my older brother went to high school with. Joseph Ucker. He went by his middle name, Mark, for obvious reasons if you say it out loud. Evidently if he got called to the office in school they would use his first and last name, much to his dismay and the laughter of all the students.

Something he couldn't really help, but in college I considered joining ROTC. We didn't have an ROTC unit on campus, so they would have paid for me to take classes at another school down in Columbus. When I called to inquire, the commander answered the phone "ROTC, Major Dick speaking." I couldn't speak for fear of laughing. I hung up.

On our trip to Texas last year, we invited a fella to sit with us at breakfast.

He introduced himself as Rod Johnson, said he was a driller.
Gave us his business card... and confirmed it.

He taught us that out in West Texas, half a tank of fuel is "out of gas."

12 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Yep that’s him. The only photograph I have of him. I never knew Grandpa Calder. He was my mother’s father and he passed when Mom was 6 years old. A handsome gentleman.

Very B) . My grandfather was born in the late 1800s, luckily I got to meet him. I have several photos of him. Following is one of my favorites.

This reminds me. One of my co-workers was complaining about her step-daughter's boyfriend's first name. It was Guy. That was my grandfather's first name. :o

Grandpa.jpg

I worked with a guy that wanted to name his son(If he had one) Dafazio, I looked at him and asked why he wanted his kid to get beat up every day?

When going through paramedic training I had to spend a few rotations through the delivery room. As one woman was giving birth the Dr. commented that the baby was showing meconium staining. The woman says she likes the sound of that and declares that she will name her child Meconium. We all shouted NO!!!!!!!

Once we explained to her meconium is the by-product of a baby having a bowel movement prior to birth she changed her mind.

Top prize for most stupid name had to have been when Kim Kardashian West named her newborn daughter North. Then again, when you have such stupid, egotistical parents what do you expect? :rolleyes:

Then we had people like the Octomom who likely ended up giving all her kids serial numbers... <_<

A guy that I worked with, named his son King.  Really?  Really.  I thought that was mean.

In this area and down by Milwaukee,  Fuchs is a fairly common name.  When driving with children present, I may exclaim, Richard Kopf!  Kopf is Deutsch for head.  I have to be careful how I use that one as there are a few Kopf families living nearby.   We have many people of German distraction in Wisconsin, not just around Milwaukee.  Many Norwegians in southern central and they are escaping to other areas of the state and intermarrying.  Very confused people.  Swiss in the deep south of Wisconsin.  Central has a lot of Poles, Czechs and Ukranians with unpronounceable names.  More consonants than syllables.

I have a grand-daughter named Sequoia, like in the tree. Also have a grand-son and I sure can't spell that one at all.

Never put D', De, or La in front of an otherwise common boy's name.  Hold fast to this in spite of any dreams of a career as a professional athlete you may have for the child.  It ain't worth it.

34 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Never put D', De, or La in front of an otherwise common boy's name.  Hold fast to this in spite of any dreams of a career as a professional athlete you may have for the child.  It ain't worth it.

Thought that was required nowadays?

My dad's oldest brother, Taz. No middle name. Just, Taz Hardy. He was 6'4", not many men born in 1905 were that big, didn't hear much grief over his name.

I have a 1st cousin named King and Brother King's real name is King Cavalier.

I knew an Air Force nursing sister (Capt rank) whose name was Carol Bangs and when she gave her name, she would always say "and no I don't".

A few jobs and many years ago, I was doing a name search for one of our client's accounts (turns out the brokerage firm had spelled it wrong on their statement, that's why I was having trouble finding it) and came across a different name that caught my eye.  I don't remember what the last name was, but it was obviously some kind of Scandinavian surname.  The first name was really odd....no, I mean it...the client's legal first name was Odd......

There was a girl named Female pronounced fe mal e and several Princes and Princesses at the elementary where I taught.

6 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

A few jobs and many years ago, I was doing a name search for one of our client's accounts (turns out the brokerage firm had spelled it wrong on their statement, that's why I was having trouble finding it) and came across a different name that caught my eye.  I don't remember what the last name was, but it was obviously some kind of Scandinavian surname.  The first name was really odd....no, I mean it...the client's legal first name was Odd......

I have a cousin in Norway whose name is Odbjorn.  His son's name is Odmund.  Fairly common over there.

My brother and I got a charge from a name on a tombstone we saw near one of the stave churches.  Name said "Ole Hole".  Our cousin didn't understand what the humor was.  In the US, we pronounce Ole as Olee.  Over there it is pronounced Olah.  So the name would have been pronounced Olah Holah.  It was funny at the time.  My grandfather's name was Ole.  He wasn't funny anytime.

I went to school with a guy whose last name was Eder.....Yea....Richard! I'll let ya'll figure it out!!

My Dad's boss's last name was DeBolt.  His wife let him name his boy Titan and his girl Lucy.  Feel bad for kids like that, has to be hard in school.

Went to high school with a kid name Hung Lam.  He had been going by the name Hunger and signing his papers with "The Hunger" since elementary school.  He was one helluva artist, ended up working for Disney for a while and also as lead illustrator for one of the Comic Books.

I have also known three different sets of twins (1 identical) that were named Tim and Jim.  Why do that to the poor kids.  Give them each a unique name, different from the other, and dont dress them alike for school.

There's a PA at the hospital here in Helena named Elvis Aaron Presley. Another local is named Laser X. Ray. The plant nurse where I worked married a man with the last name Payne.

My nephew on the wife's side is " Holden Rusty Steele" The whole Steele family loves collecting rusty stuff. And they got me addicted too!

When I worked a t a car dealership, one of my customers was named "Toy Glascock". Found a couple of em on the interweb! One of my neighbors here is "Irene ( I ) Gadapee"

My last name ends in "ski", thank goodness they couldn't spell toboggan!

The photographer for my daughter's wedding was named "Sir" when he was born. I asked him why his parents named him Sir. He said his Dad always wanted to make sure people called his son "Sir". I asked him what he thought about that. He said it was annoying sometimes but he would never change his name.

16 hours ago, MizPete said:

Our Avon lady's name was Mary Christmas.

Interesting, as I went to school with a guy named Greg Christmas. His sister's name was Mary. Be in her early 60's now.

We also had a foreign exchange student from somewhere in Africa. His name as Hapi Neujar and yes, it's pronounced Happy New Year. So, we had "Merry Christmas and "Happy New Year" at the same school!

My lovely wife’s name is Shiela. Following the rule I before e except after c. She is alone in the world of names. They constantly misspell her name as Sheila which is the way most spell it. It’s has caused us many problems over the years. Drivers license, powers of attorney. Improper tax documents. Amazing how many people can’t follow simple English rules they were taught their whole life.

Archived