SASS Wire Forum

Things you would not name your kids

Alpo

Went to school with a kid named Richard Prique.  A little imagination will tell you how that turned out.  Another kid was blessed with a last name of Fuqua. lots of fun with that as a last name.  Like Subdeacon Joe, we had interesting names in my neighborhood - Branislav Pablovich, Boris Ulyanovski, Valdimir Smylianski, Skadite Balodis Tadeus Szafranski,  We had Freida and Olga and Ludmila - I remember roll call for the substitue teacher to be a great time to giggle as she/he would butcher these names.   I am pretty old now and frankly, I miss those days in my old neighborhood.  I had to walk through a Czech, a Polish, a German, a Latino, neighborhood all bordered by a black neighborhood.  We had Italians on the other side and a sprinkling of Ukranian, Russian and a few Hungarians, Serbs and Croats (fun times in that group).  Everyones' grandmom spoke a different language and when you visited you got the most amazing little tidbits of food -   ALL of which were delicious - walking in the evening around super time was aroma therapy beyond belief.  I loved walking by the Czech restaurant and Stein's Romanian restaurant.  Orders from those kitchens would make even a stone salivate in anticipation.

STL Suomi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the technicians at the oil change place I managed was called "Uni", I found out later his full name was Unique Supreme Jones , His mother didn't want him to be just another Jones.

Stopped a guy for speeding. Upon questioning his lack of a driver license, i found that his dizzy mother had tagged him with the middle name "Precious".  6'2", 245 pounds of "Precious". 

It was worth a break on the ticket.

I've met lots of Kings, Queens, Princesses, at least one Prince, a few Royals, several Precious' and, I think, three Majors, but none of those are the "weird" names.

I also worked with a James Kirk, a Don (Donald) Duck and Ronald McDonald.  Almost forgot, Ray Darr.

Suomi, I used to regularly have contact with a Ludmila until I got moved to a different area at work.

My mother's name was Treasure.  The only Treasure I've ever met.   Yep, there's a story there.

Angus

This thread couldn't have happened at a better time....this morning at work the lady that sits across from me, Leigh Ann, all of a sudden started laughing.  Me and another co-worker asked her what was so funny....she said this was the first time she'd ever gotten a request to cut a check for a dead former President....then showed us the check request she had....for a Richard Nixon....:lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot.  My Dad's (LEO) partner was my Uncle Jimmy Stewart.  And an early coworker was married to Andy Jackson.  And my AVON lady - Mary Christmas - had no excuse - she married into it.

The principle where I went to high school was Richard Bates.  His daughter was in my class, she was a POW.  Anyway, Dick was a , , , , , .  Guys were always going past his office and coughing out "Master".  You connect the dots.  The guy always seemed to act like a hard ass.  Don't know why.  I never did anything to him. Maybe it is just a principle thing.  IDK.

You could always be like good old Gorge Foreman.

All of his children Including his Daughters are named Gorge :unsure:  

There's a guy who works part time at the LGS, his name is Miles Davis!!:lol:  No he doesn't play trumpet or any musical instrument!!

Almost forgot about another guy that worked at a gun shop nearby, his name....,Sterling Child . He said when he was born his mom said. “ My what a sterling child “ (don’t know if that’s true but it is his name)

On 4/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, Stogie said:

When going through paramedic training I had to spend a few rotations through the delivery room. As one woman was giving birth the Dr. commented that the baby was showing meconium staining. The woman says she likes the sound of that and declares that she will name her child Meconium. We all shouted NO!!!!!!!

Once we explained to her meconium is the by-product of a baby having a bowel movement prior to birth she changed her mind.

During my OB rotation we stood for report same as the other nurses.
One of our wet behind the ears number looked puzzled when a number of nurses reported "Jacoby on the baby."
Our greenie tentatively raised a hand and was recognized.

She said "I'm familiar with meconium and with lanugo, but what medical condition is Jacoby?"

The nurses looked at one another and then burst out laughing (I thought Greenie was going to crawl under the linoleum and slink off) and one of them explained that was Doctor Jacoby, the pediatrician.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Almost forgot about another guy that worked at a gun shop nearby, his name....,Sterling Child . He said when he was born his mom said. “ My what a sterling child “ (don’t know if that’s true but it is his name)

I think I was in school with him, really and truly!  I went to elementary school for a few  years in Perry, Ohio and Painesville, Ohio back in the early 1960's and I remember that name!  

I was in the parking lot of an old Circuit City store when I saw a couple with a little girl going to their car.  I heard the lady addressing the child as "Chardonnay."  I wonder how that inspiration came about.

In Canada, you cannot register a child's name that would end up with the initials, RCMP,   Just wondering if the letters FBI are protected in the U.S. when naming children?

There's this Disney WW2 propaganda cartoon. EDUCATION FOR DEATH.

Tells how kids are rsised in Nazi Germany.

There's one part where the parents of the newborn go to register him, and the state has to approve the name.

Seems to me that when the government gets to decide what I can and cannot name my kid --- that's a bad thing.

Archived