SASS Wire Forum

UBERTI-Colt Clone-Base Pin "Safety" fix

A Pard of mine had a bad day yesterday, he has Uberti Colt Clones, and the base pin got pushed into the "Safety Position" and kept the hammer from hitting the primers.

I heard there is a fix for this by cutting or grinding off a certain amount from the back of the base pin.

Can anyone enlighten me as to that measurement?

Thanks!

Take the cylinder out, then cock the hammer and push the cylinder pin into the "Safety" nitch, then using a scribe, scribe a line onto the pin where the end meets the frame. Remove the pin and cut or grind the end of the pin to that line. Make sure you round the end off to make it easier to replace the pin. You can add a touch of cold blue to the raw end of the pin if you like.

It's not critical.   If you can measure the distance between common detail of one notch to the other - i.e. left edge of one groove to left edge of other groove - that's how much to take off. 

565516820_PiettaEleminatorbasepinAug2018.jpg.9ccd9d6fde5ff3e54ea976c50ad56246.jpg

I confess, the only pin that I did cut off, I just guessed and tried. 

I did it a little different and got great results. I scribed it to get the measurement (I want to say it was 3/8ths). Then I chucked up the base pin in a power drill and used the slack section of a vertical belt sander to sand away while I ran the drill. Comes out looking factory with a really nice cone profile if you hold the drill at an angle to the belt

Yeah that only happens to you once. When I first started CAS, and got my new Uberti '73's, I went to a local shoot. Got up to the line, buzzer went off, drew the first piston but it didn't. Kept cocking and pulling the trigger but nothing. TO stopped me and sent me over to the unloading table. I was quite upset with this happening to me with my new pistol. A pard came over and said "I know exactly what's wrong." Showed me the pin and the two notches, and sure enough I had put it in the safe position after I had cleaned it after the first time I had shot it. I shook my head, thanked him, and had a big laugh. Since then the last thing I check after cleaning and reassembly is what notch the cylinder pin is in. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Belt Mountain Base pins are a good alternative

From everything I’ve read, they are fantastic. Unfortunately for me, I think they are god awful ugly. 

45 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

From everything I’ve read, they are fantastic. Unfortunately for me, I think they are god awful ugly. 

The ones for the Rugers are but not the ones for Uberti's and Pietta's. You can't even tell the difference! The Ruger ones have a big nut on the end that you can tighten and loosen with your fingers. The Uberti doesn't. I have them in my Smoke Wagons and Pietta's.

Funny, never ever had a problem with Colt base pins!!:D

Archived