SASS Wire Forum

• Frontiersman Setup II

John E.B. Rawton

Great archive post there in “Frontiersman setups” pards. A lot of great info and perspective. Now I’ve only shot cap and ball twice. The first was a week before the actual shoot and the second was the season’s opening shoot. 

I practiced at the range prior to see how the whole process worked. I loaded each gun on a stand which worked well. I have one flask for each gun because the caliber and charge is different. 

I prepped my colts by doing some diy smithy work on the uberti’s actions and cylinder pins. Setup the cylinder to barrel clearance. Fitted all with SliXshot nipples (no cap rakes installed)

The day of practice and match day I liberally greased the cylinder pin with mobil grease. I thought that I was very successful in that I shot the equivalent 6 stages (30 rounds) through each gun without needing to disassemble or spray any extra lube in the works. The last shot was as smooth as the first. 

I was intrigued by the loading stands and am trying to figure why that might be faster than leaving the cylinder in the gun. The obvious to me is the ability to see clearly and perhaps the fact that the gun works are not in the way. 

The biggest challenge is over coming guilt. If any have seen some of my posts in the short time I’ve been on the wire, you may have picked up that I prefer shooting JWS over anything else. I found loading (4) cap guns during a stage did not allow me to help on the posse or watch the other shooters. It was good that so many shooters turned out and the posse was big. 

I am seriously considering collecting spare cylinders for the 1860 then the 1851. The (2) Walkers may come later. If it gets to be too much I have gated Kirst cylinders. I found out they just don’t give the same satisfaction. 

ps. I kept all my stuff at my cart and loaded up right there. I just keep an eye out for the occasional smoker. 

8DA6F1E1-628C-4770-8CFF-1E4CF26C9A33.jpeg

35 minutes ago, John E.B. Rawton said:

The biggest challenge is over coming guilt. If any have some of my post in the short time I’ve been on the wire, you may have picked up that I prefer shooting JWS over anything else. I found loading (4) cap guns during a stage did not allow me to help on the posse or watch the other shooters. It was good that so many shooters turned out and the posse was big. 

Before the match begins, ask your Posse Leader if you can work the Unloading Table while recharging your revolvers.  When a shooter comes to the unloading table, give him your full attention, then return to the task of recharging your cylinders between shooters.  It will help if you are among the first shooters on the stage.  You should be able to get all four guns loaded by the time the other shooters come through.  And they will appreciate your effort in doing posse chores.

I'm glad you are enjoying your percussion revolvers!  They are addictive. As you gain experience, I'm sure you will find ways to make the loading process more efficient.

Nice to see others as excited about C&B guns as I am! They're my #1 favorite shooting activity.

The reloading chore is where paper cartridges come in handy. It takes just a minute or two to recharge the pistol with them, freeing you up to do other posse duties.  Plus, you don't have to worry about having loose powder and ball.

I will admit, loading the guns with a flask and loose lead balls, is part of the enjoyment of C&B pistols, but sometimes the ease of using paper cartridges is a benefit, specially when you're competing and time is a factor.

PLUS ONE to J BAR

Personally I find shooting Josey Wales with Cap Guns to be a bit "much" to do on a regular basis.  Plus, Josey Wales in this neck of the woods is shot with FIVE Cap Gun.  Josey didn't have no Shotgun.  All Pistol.  An excellent solution is to work the unloading table while you recharge your cylinders.

I have found loading off the gun with Cylinder Loader, Scoop and Funnel to be much quicker than loading on the gun.  Of course, the Arbor/Barrel fit absolutely MUST be correct as well the Wedge.  Should be able to seat the wedge with your thumb and tap it back out with a light rap with a screw driver handle ..... or a firm push with your thumb.

I also have four (4) of my Cap Guns set up as Cartridge Conversions.  C45S cases and 130Gr Bullets.  Work a treat.

Archived