SASS Wire Forum

What do you think of this for a shtf arsenal?

Alpo

Mossberg 22 bolt repeater with a 4x scope

Remington 22 pump with iron sights

S&W K22, 6" barrel

Hammerless 20 gauge SxS, 26", mod and improved

Remington 12 gauge automatic, 30" full

1898 Krag rifle

M1 Carbine

Box-stock GI 1911

If not for the boat accident I'd have the following:

1. Several AR15 5.56 16" bbl carbines.

2. 2 AR15 9mm 16" bbl carbines.

3. Ruger PCC 9mm

4. 2 Walther PPS 9mm

5. Multiple Winchester 12 pump shotguns(a couple 870s, a couple 97s, a couple of SXP)

6. My cowboy guns if it came to it.

Most of this is located on shared property with dad w/ canned food, bottled water, and basic medical supplies. Several ammo cans of 9mm, 5.56, and 12ga.

Alpo, I want something with a lot more takedown power as well as ammo commonly used by police/military when the SHTF.

Yes we have aluminum foil for hats on hand.

Really like those S&W K-22      Great all around tool for any occasion.      GW

Ruger Charger w/ shorter barrels and several mag options.

Ruger SP101 4.2" barrel in .357

Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag

AR-15 in 5.56 and dual sights

Win 97 cowboy mods

I'm surprised nobody recognizes it.

Classic 1950s novel about World War 3. Alas Babylon. When the bomb dropped, Randy (the hero) checked "what he laughingly referred to as his arsenal". And that's what he had. The long barreled Remington automatic for duck hunting. The 20 gauge side by side for quail. The long Krag rifle that had belonged to his grandfather. The 22 target pistol hanging in a holster in the closet. The carbine he had broken down and smuggled home from Korea.

When I first read the book, back in the late sixties, I thought that was a pretty fair arsenal. Reading some of the lists of stuff that is "REQUIRED" to survive in a post-apocalyptic-world situation is really really different.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

12 ga auto. how big is the magazine?  how is the ammo supply?

can have a lot of guns but without ammo they are just pretty clubs

I liked that, also.

>Ammo. He had more than he would ever need for the big rifle, the carbine, and the shotguns. But he had only a couple of boxes of .22s, and he guessed that the .22s might be the most useful weapons he owned, if economic chaos lasted for a long time, a meat shortage developed, and it became necessary to hunt small game. He rose and went into the hallway and shouted down at the stairwell, "Helen!"

"Yes?" She was at the front door.

"If you get a chance drop in at Becks Hardware and buy some twenty-two caliber long-rifle hollow points."

"Just a second. I'll write it down on my list. Twenty-two long-rifle hollow points. How many?"

"Ten boxes, if they have them."<

Wow. Ten boxes. And she was only able to get three.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I'm surprised nobody recognizes it.

Classic 1950s novel about World War 3. Alas Babylon. When the bomb dropped, Randy (the hero) checked "what he laughingly referred to as his arsenal". And that's what he had. The long barreled Remington automatic for duck hunting. The 20 gauge side by side for quail. The long Krag rifle that had belonged to his grandfather. The 22 target pistol hanging in a holster in the closet. The carbine he had broken down and smuggled home from Korea.

When I first read the book, back in the late sixties, I thought that was a pretty fair arsenal. Reading some of the lists of stuff that is "REQUIRED" to survive in a post-apocalyptic-world situation is really really different.

Of course!

And don't forget the meticulously sharpened steak knives for emergency surgeries...  ;)

I’d lose the Krag and M1 and replace them with an AR and a long range bolt gun like an ‘03 or a Mauser.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

>Ammo. He had more than he would ever need for the big rifle, the carbine, and the shotguns.

How did he know how much he would need? Magic 8 ball? ;)

I have a great plan for SHTF.

Stay home or get home. I have my 2 gun arsenal standing by :rolleyes: with food and water and other stuff one should have on hand. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a great plan for SHTF.

Stay home or get home. I have my 2 gun arsenal standing by :rolleyes: with food and water and other stuff one should have on hand. 

Head for the mountains. You’re in California. That’s where the Chinese invading force will land! :P

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Head for the mountains. You’re in California. That’s where the Chinese invading force will land! :P

Uh...I think they’re already here. :lol:

I have a lot of whiskey. When that runs out I’ll only need one bullet. Caliber not important. :lol:

Sounds good, but there should be a short barrel 12 ga. pump in there. I've worked with a pharmacist who was a Marine in 'Nam. His theory was simple, there are only 2 personal defense weapons.........a .45 ACP and a 12 ga. pump. Hard logic to argue against.

JHC

12 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

How did he know how much he would need? Magic 8 ball? ;)

I was thinking about that. Your normal 1950s thoughts on adequate ammunition.

For the rifle, if he had three boxes, he probably thought he had enough - 60 rounds. The duck gun - again three, maybe four boxes of high brass 4s - 75, 100 rounds. The SxS - probably three or four boxes of low brass 8s. Shot a feral dog with buckshot, so - two 5-round boxes? The carbine and the 45 - he was a lieutenant during the Korean War. He might actually see the necessity of ammo for them. Three magazines per - one in the gun and two in the pouch. Two hundred rounds max, per gun. Thats 670 rounds. Surely NOBODY would ever need more than that. :huh:

Then the 22s. He only had 100 rounds, so he tried to get another 500.

There is a lot to be said for the old west practice of a rifle and pistol of the same caliber in a shtf scenario.

The shtf frequently in the old west . ;)

Ammo would drive my selection. Ammo readily available and or what the military would use as in NATO rounds, 5.56, 9 mm, 22, 12 gauge, whatever an AK runs. Unless you have a large stockpile of reloading materials 30-03, Krags, and other "older" style ammo won't hold you for long.

My AR 5.56 bangs steel accurately out to 500 yards so it would replace the need for a bolt action rifle. That is unless all of those who say AR's are for deer hunting are wrong!

Ike

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:31 AM, Alpo said:

Mossberg 22 bolt repeater with a 4x scope

Remington 22 pump with iron sights

S&W K22, 6" barrel

Hammerless 20 gauge SxS, 26", mod and improved

Remington 12 gauge automatic, 30" full

1898 Krag rifle

M1 Carbine

Box-stock GI 1911

Just give me the pump .22 and the 1911 and I'll be set. Too much of an arsenal is hard to move around and will only attract others to come and take it.

I will admit I've never read the book. As for what I would go with, it depends heavily on whether I would plan staying in place or heading elsewhere. If I am planning on staying in place, it becomes a matter of just stocking as much ammo as possible for what I have. Priority going to .22LR, 12 GA., .223/5.56, 9mm and .38/.357.

If I am planning on driving somewhere, then I want to simplify as much as possible. I agree with UB that using a pistol and carbine with common ammo makes sense. One of the reasons a Beretta CX-4 Storm in 9mm is on my list of most wanted. Common ammo and common magazines in a common caliber seems like a good thing. Someone with a Glock or Ruger pistol could grab up a Ruger PC9. Otherwise, as much .38/357 as I can carry for rifles and revolvers. A Mossberg 500 (or an 870) with multiple barrels (18", 28" field barrel, rifled barrel) could pull multiple duties with the right ammo. Some variant of a 10/22 with as many magazines and as much ammo as possible.

If, for whatever reason, I anticipate the need to be on foot. Then the pistol carbine idea is even better, perhaps with a 10/22  as many magazines and spare ammo as I can get, along with a Mossberg 500 Persuader with a spare field barrel, and birdshot, rifled slugs and some size of buckshot would just about be all I could carry.

I need to ponder this more, though.

Savage 99 in .300 Savage

Winchester M12 in 16 gauge

1911 in .38 Super

Remington Rolling Block #4 in .22 short.

Just so whoever ends up with my guns wastes all their time looking for ammo. :P

That was a great book, read it in high school and and friend and I obsessed for months about it and the then uncommon SHTF scenario. I even tried to write a similar story whose main character had inside information because he was a nephew of General  Curtis LeMay.  Yet another story I never finished. 

In 1960 Playhouse 90 television produced a pretty fair movie version of Alas Babylon with a great cast including Burt Reynolds and Rita Moreno. 

Seamus

Unfortunately a lot of people fail to think through these SHTF scenarios. For one thing, with as many humans as there are these days hunting probably won't sustain you for very long, as the woods will be chock full of hungry and desperate people blasting anything that moves trying to get something to eat. Any animals that don't get mowed down in the first few weeks will likely steer well clear of people from that point on. For the short term guns will be used to protect what little you have from those who didn't prepare and want to get their hands on yours. Long term... well, if law and order isn't restored by then you're probably screwed if you haven't found a commune full of like-minded people willing to band together for safety.

Hope you fellas ain't walking.  That's a whole lot of guns to carry.  Never mind all the ammo.

Mine?  One Glock 17 w/ 100 or so rounds loaded and one Ruger 10/22 w/ one or two brick(s) of mini-mags.

Stuff like food, clothing, water and some simple tools make up the rest of the load.

We all dream of/ imagine a SHTF scenario but continued dull existence keeps happening.  Pretty soon you're too old to enjoy the SHTF world if it should come about.   sigh....

12 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Unfortunately a lot of people fail to think through these SHTF scenarios. For one thing, with as many humans as there are these days hunting probably won't sustain you for very long, as the woods will be chock full of hungry and desperate people blasting anything that moves trying to get something to eat. Any animals that don't get mowed down in the first few weeks will likely steer well clear of people from that point on. For the short term guns will be used to protect what little you have from those who didn't prepare and want to get their hands on yours. Long term... well, if law and order isn't restored by then you're probably screwed if you haven't found a commune full of like-minded people willing to band together for safety.

There are some advantages, apparently, to living in a state where few people own guns or hunt......

LL

10 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Hope you fellas ain't walking.  That's a whole lot of guns to carry.  Never mind all the ammo.

You pose an interesting dilemma, Joke’um. 

Myself, I have always thought “Why run for the hills? The people in the hills won’t want us there...and it’s their home turf.”

What if one did have to escape on foot?

What would one carry ideally?

Now, I am going by what I have in possession now.

Your idea of a Glock 17 and a 10/22 is a good one. The 10/22 is light and not cumbersome. And the Glock is an excellent choice. Reliable and holds 17 rounds. The ammo is easily found...or should I say “abundant”. These would be good selections.

Something else I was thinking was a good revolver and a tube fed Carbine. No magazines to carry and possibly lose.  In my case I would consider my S&W 327 Night Guard 8 Shot .357 and my Marlin 1894CB (but it is still new...not sure I trust it yet) or perhaps the revolver and my 10/22.

Another option might be my Winchester 94AE Carbine 30-30 and my S&W 17. Fairly powerful rifle with a .22 revolver. Kind of the opposite tack. Problem is the limited ammo in the guns if lots of firepower is needed.

Decisions, decisions ;)

Can't resist a quote from John "Pondoro" Taylor, famous African hunter/author/poacher:

"I would happily undertake to walk thru from Cape Town to Cairo armed with nothing but a scope-sighted .22 Rim-Fire and a powerful hand gun, and I am quite confident I would not go hungry."

Archived