SASS Wire Forum

Marty Robins' El Paso

19 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Guy shoots and kills a man who was drawing on him, rides off into the badlands of New Mexico, goes back to Wicked Felina, and is shot down by a posse.

For shooting the cowboy or stealing a horse to make his get away?

Nah, for trying to pick up on their women! The rest just rubbed salt in the wound! ;)

From the time I was a little kid, my late Uncle Bob always insisted it was for stealing the horse. 

I'm inclined to accept that explanation.  *&lt):) cowboy

Certainly for horse thieving.

"I challenged his right for the love of this maiden

Down went his hand for the gun that he wore"

The "wild young cowboy" drew first. Self defense.

I've often pondered that.  "I had but one chance, and that was to run"  suggests that the "handsome young cowboy" was a "somebody" with friends who would avenge him.   On the other hand, he does steal a horse.

Then the story of Feleena:

Reincarnation?

When I was a kid, they had a monthly rodeo and horse show near us. We showed horses there. They played that album on the PA system so much that I knew every single word of every song. Still some of my favorites.

Getten involved with a woman will get ya killed one way or another. No matter what ya do it ain't right.:o

Why did the cowboy have to steal a horse? Where was the horse he rode into town on?

Ugh... details...

He shot a Texas Cowboy. Never a good idea. Stealing a horse compounded it. Rosa the saloon girl comes in a distant third in priority.

Rose owned the cantina.

The saloon girl was Wicked Fellina.

That means the singer  was Evil Roy. That might explain why he beat the handsome young stranger to the draw.

Hey!! That explains what happened to Ahnuld's father. :lol:

9 hours ago, Laramie said:

When I was a kid, they had a monthly rodeo and horse show near us. We showed horses there. They played that album on the PA system so much that I knew every single word of every song. Still some of my favorites.

Decades ago when my Dad was alive, we were camping near Bonita Lake above Ruidoso, NM. I was playing Mary Robbins on the CD player. We finally shut it down to sack out, and from up the creek someone else had the stereo going.......Marty Robbins, same album. Kindred spirits I guess.

JHC

12 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The rest goes:

"Just for a moment I stood there in silence
Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done
Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there
I had but one chance and that was to run..."

That's actually a pretty rare line. Very few versions have that. None of my albums do. Heard that on the radio a few years back and thought WTH??????

JHC

4 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

ALL WRONG!

He was shot because he rode down the hill toward the saloon SHOUTING and SHOOTING! Listen to the lyrics. What else could happen?

"Off to my right I see five mounted Cowboys. Of to my left I see a dozen more."

He rode into a trap.

also, probably one of the hardest songs to learn how to play on the guitar...

We were in El Paso in 2012 and we couldn't find Rose's Cantina so, we headed north for Las Vegas, NM and woke up to a snow storm.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:38 AM, Smoken D said:

Getten involved with a woman will get ya killed one way or another. No matter what ya do it ain't right.:o

Wise words, Sir. 

Since we are playing detective, can we all agree that he did indeed have a firearm, presumable a revolver? 

Not necessarily. Maybe it was Mississippi, from El Dorado.

The "wild young cowboy" had a gun. "Down went his hand for the gun that he wore".

But all the song tells us is that the narrator killed the "handsome young stranger". Doesn't say he shot him. Maybe he throwed a knife.

While we’re on the subject of great CAS songs about pards gettin’ in trouble with Mexican saloon girls let’s also pay homage to Jay and the Americans great classic “Come a Little Bit Closer” wherein the hero actually survives by bolting through a window when Bad Man Jose (what a great SASS Alias, has anyone taken it yet?) shows up to claim his woman.  The only casualty is the poor cowboy’s drink he dropped from his hand.  Otherwise a reasonably happy ending!

Seamus

Archived