SASS Wire Forum

new computer

watab kid

i have a newer computer with newer operating system , my old one failed to allow me to connect tonight , this one was already in the works but i had hoped to postpone its implementation just a little longer , i hate change and this has so many new things that operate differently , some is much better some not at all what im used to , 

good things are my keyboard and mouse hooked up great without me having to do a thing past plugging in , my photos are all on the old one - gotta figure that out yet , there are things popping up i have no idea what they are so "x" ing out for now , the screen is not as bright - bold - clear as my old one to my old eyes , but that might be a fix ive not found yet , i can live with it for now i guess , 

bear with - i am getting there - i found the wire and logged on , good day in my book ...

Buy yourself an external USB disk.
I recommend Western Digital "MyPassport" or similar.

You can find 2TB for under $100 most anywhere.
B&H Photo is free shipping and no tax.

Plug in to your old machine, and COPY the entire folder structure of photos, etc to USB.
Then plug into new machine, and selectively COPY photos and documents to new machine.

This gives you a copy of all files on the USB disk, and easy move to new machine.
Disconnect USB and leave it disconnected unless making a backup.
The intent is keeping the USB disk safe from malware infections, etc.

You probably can adjust the settings on your display for larger text and a brighter screen.  Default settings are not for senior citizens.  My last computer died a month ago.  My first task after connecting to the internet was installing my anti-malware software.

Please consider using SandboxIE.

SBIE is a highly effective "internet condom"
I place it with all my clients because it is more effective and much less invasive than malware scanners.

It has no database to constantly update.. it simply prevents everything downloaded inside the sandbox from executing.
You have to take an extra step to move any downloaded item from the SB and back to the "real" disk.

Yes, you can shoot yourself in the foot doing this.
If you download a bug, and knowingly move it out of the sand box, you will need a bug treatment software.
WebRoot and Malwarebytes are two commercial products that work very well, and better than the others.

SBIE operates in a protected address space where any downloaded bugs are vaporized when the browser is closed.
Think of it as a "roach motel" where the bugs get in.. but cannot get out.

The vast majority of bugs come from dirty web sites and emails.
Most home users employ a web browser for both, so SBIE is ideal for this use.

I have no vested interest in SBIE.

Archived