SASS Wire Forum

WTC pistols to leather?

Hoss

Scenario is Shotgun - rifle -pistols. Shooter shoots shotgun, rifle,  1st pistol. Stages 1st pistol on table, draws 2nd finished stage. Returns 2nd pistol to leather. So far so good. Shooter goes to retrieve long guns, forgets to reholster 1st pistol. He gets long guns, sees other pistol on table, retrieved it and goes on to ULT.  WTC?

some said P, a couple thought MSV. After discussion, no call. I was in the no call camp. 

Pistols are to be holstered before the next shooting string.  Pistols were last, collect firearms and proceed to the ULT.  No call.

When you get to the part where a violation of the rules occurred according to some of those other range officials, please provide it.  We'd like to know.  :lol:

Of course it's no call. 

Good luck, GJ

Thanks all, I was 99&44/100 it Was a no call situation. 

So I have to ask a question, cuz it happened to me and was my own fault. Did the stage instructions say “ reholster”? Mine did and I was so focused on the pattern of the stage, I missed that very important piece of the puzzle. I chose, spur of the moment to stage both pistols with the intent of reholstering upon retrieval. Oops... got the appropriate “P”.

4 minutes ago, Poet Jones 99980 said:

So I have to ask a question, cuz it happened to me and was my own fault. Did the stage instructions say “ reholster”? Mine did and I was so focused on the pattern of the stage, I missed that very important piece of the puzzle. I chose, spur of the moment to stage both pistols with the intent of reholstering upon retrieval. Oops... got the appropriate “P”.

Were the pistols shot last? 

No sir. As I said, lapse of concentration. I had no intention of doing it when I began the stage. Never did it before, never intend to do it again. 

2 minutes ago, Poet Jones 99980 said:

No sir. As I said, lapse of concentration. I had no intention of doing it when I began the stage. Never did it before, never intend to do it again. 

Ok, that makes sense now. Reholsterhing doesn't apply in the OP's situation because the revolvers were shot last

I'm confused about poet jones's question.  You have to reholster at the conclusion of a pistol string as a default.  So unless it says specifically that you can stage them on a table, you have to reholster.  Doesn't matter that the stage said reholster.  Unless I missed something. 

13 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'm confused about poet jones's question.  You have to reholster at the conclusion of a pistol string as a default.  So unless it says specifically that you can stage them on a table, you have to reholster.  Doesn't matter that the stage said reholster.  Unless I missed something. 

you're not missing anything...

SHB pg 13-14

SECTION 4 – RANGE OPERATIONS & SAFETY RULES
“Conventions” refer to standard range behaviors and rules that every shooter is expected to
know and follow at all times. ALL SASS Safety conventions are not negotiable and shall
never be overruled by match design or shooting course descriptions. Stage Conventions are
standard default rules unless otherwise directed by stage design/description (e.g., knockdown
targets must go down to count).

- Revolvers are returned to leather (re-holstered) (in a safe condition) at the
conclusion of the shooting string, unless the stage description specifically directs
otherwise (e.g., “move to the next position and set gun on table or prop”). A
shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type
of firearm engaged.

Revolvers are last... last shot (from revolver) goes off and stage is OVER!!! As long as revolvers are reholstered and taken to unloading table, there is no Procedural. First pistol went to the table after firing (pistol string was not over yet). If stage instructions said to reholster each pistol after firing (why would you say that?) then it's a P, otherwise no call.

This has been discussed before. If pistols are not shot last, they both have to be returned to leather before the next gun is fired. If they are not, it's a P. If pistols are shot last, then no call.

59 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Revolvers are last... last shot (from revolver) goes off and stage is OVER!!! As long as revolvers are reholstered and taken to unloading table, there is no Procedural. First pistol went to the table after firing (pistol string was not over yet). If stage instructions said to reholster each pistol after firing (why would you say that?) then it's a P, otherwise no call.

Don't know that the stage is over but the timer stops anyway.

Stage – synonymous with “Course of Fire” from the beep of the timer once the shooter has signified “ready” to the last shot fired

SHB p.45 - "Glossary of Terms"

Archived