SASS Wire Forum

Very Complex Recipe

Subdeacon Joe

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Puree of ice.  Wonderful stuff.  Especially if seasoned with lime and tequila.

Not necessarily in that order...

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I just realized that I haven't used an ice cube tray in 20 years; if  I needed one, I'd have to go out and buy one; spoiled by the ice maker.

LL

I just spotted mine for the first time in memory, at least since moving here. With two ice makers, I don't use them and I bag ice from the ice maker for my trailer.

13 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I just realized that I haven't used an ice cube tray in 20 years; if  I needed one, I'd have to go out and buy one; spoiled by the ice maker.

LL

I use them for freezing lemon juice and such.  Or stock.   

53 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

It always amazed me that people BUY boiled eggs or drink instant tea or coffee (BARF!) If you can boil water it's no big trick to make the real thing.

JHC

For hard cooked eggs I've taken to steaming them.   A little water in the pot, put the eggs into the steamer insert ... actually I usually use the stockpot with a pasta insert...bring the water to a boil, put the insert in,  put the lid on, steam for 18 minutes.   Then quench and peel the eggs under cold water.   Shells come off slick and you please.

Instant coffee can be useful in cooking.   Or sprinkled on icecream. 

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

For hard cooked eggs I've taken to steaming them.   A little water in the pot, put the eggs into the steamer insert ... actually I usually use the stockpot with a pasta insert...bring the water to a boil, put the insert in,  put the lid on, steam for 18 minutes.   Then quench and peel the eggs under cold water.   Shells come off slick and you please.

Instant coffee can be useful in cooking.   Or sprinkled on icecream. 

Just discovered this trick this year.  Mrs. LL steamed a dozen eggs in the pressure cooker; done in minutes, each separated cleanly when peeled.   

LL

I have recently switched back to ice trays and discovered the missing flavor that I hadn’t realized was missing until now. It’s very subtle but it’s there. Perhaps it’s the way the cold air softly caresses the top of each cube that gives it that...I cannot think of the word...that outdoorsy taste. Not like that ice machine ice that has baffles that keep the air from blowing across the top of the ice. Also, my ice rests now and is no longer jostled and banged from the ice maker process. Resting the ice allows it to sort of ferment peacefully.

Trays is the way to go my friends. 

Archived