SASS Wire Forum

GI Surplus Firearms

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

How many of us own and shoot actual GI Surplus guns that could in one way or another (Main or side matches) be used in our game?

Not talking about milspec reproductions but guns that were actually issued to US Soldiers or Sailors or Marines back in the day.

For the sake of simplicity...

Civil War Era:  1860 to 1865

Indian Wars Era: 1866 to 1897

Spanish American War Era: 1898 to 1900.

After that, well, that's post CAS era, so even though many of us own a GI 1911 or M1 Garand, it's beyond the scope of this inquiry.  And they must be US Issued firearms, not their commercial variants.

Obviously, there is some overlap in the eras depending on when the gun in question was first adopted, and when the one you own was actually made and issued to the troops.

.50 Maynard #2 capping breachloader Carbine, 1873 .45-70 Trapdoor Carbine, 1863 Sharps Carbine converted to .50-70 and .50-70 Rolling Block Carbine all suitable for Plainsman category.  Also have similar foreign military arms such as .577 Snider Carbine (my favorite shooter) and bolt action 11mm French 1873 Gras and 1871 Mauser carbines.  US Model 1917 Eddystone if I were to want to shoot Wild Bunch variations.  Most of my guns are military. 

Ike, my roller began life as a .50-40 but was reamed out to take .50-70 cases. Replacement sight I use at the range is dead on at 50 and 100 yards. For display I use an original type rear sight. 

Seamus

30-40 Krag built 1901, in mil spec form

7mm Remington roller (probably issued to the Mexican government troops about 1905)

From WW I for Wild Bunch

1903 Springfield, mil spec

From WW II for Wild Bunch

1903A3 Springfield, mil spec

i have a 1918 colt that will work for wild bunch but i have not gotten to starting that venue yet and doubt it would be my choice , i get using what you own but some of the antiques deserve to stay original - when they came to you that way - and replacement parts are not original issue , 

I have an Colts 1860 Army pistol, in dugup condition. Not firable but it launched many a bottle rocket 60 years ago. Dixie Gun Works catalog says it was made in 1860 by it's serial number. The steel is badly rusted but the brass frame is only a little tarnished and the numbers are very legible. My pa Blue Boy SASS 46773 and his brother found it on their uncles farm in Central Iowa in the 1920s.

Imis

Oh I forgot...

1 model 1865 Spencer

1 Model 1873 Trapdoor Carbine

1 Model 1884 Trapdoor Rifle

3 Model 1898 US Krags, 1 each of carbine, rifle and short rifle

1 Model 1894 Colt Revolver

And for a Wild Card...

1 Colt "Alaskan" Model.   The design dates to 1878, and I believe they were first adopted for use during the Philippine Insurrection.  While that did start in 1899, and you could say it was an outgrowth of the Spanish American War, I think this gun was not adopted until after the turn of the century.   That's while I "Wild Card" is.

When is SASS going to have a Gatling gun stage.??  

Bay 17 at EOT .... bring your cash.   Last year I think it was $2 a round.

Winter Range has also had a Gatling and machine gun "demo" stage some years, if I recall correctly.

Good luck, GJ

7 hours ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

When is CAS or SASS going to have a gatling gun stage.??  

We’ve had one at T-Bone’s Badlands Bar 3 a couple of times along with a Thompson, Stg 44, and another gun I can’t remember right now.

As to actual GI firearms, I got, and used several times, an 1865 Burnsides.  Used during Plainsman matches.  Wife has a repo Maynard which I have also used.  It’s great getting asked what they are after the match and even better when I ask them if they want to shoot it.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:49 PM, Tom Bullweed said:

This is gonna make me buy a Winchester-Hotchkiss or Remington-Keene, that I have wanted for years.

Dang it!! (not really)

Civil War 1860-1865 - have 10 long arms

Indian Wars 1866-1897 - have 21 long arms including:

Winchester Hotchkiss 1879 Navy type 1 made 1879 

Winchester Hotchkiss 1879 Navy type 2 made 1881

Remington Lee 1879 1st Navy made 1881

Remington Lee 1879 2nd Navy made 1882

Remington Keene 1880 Navy made 1880

SAW 1898-1900 - have 2 long arms and 2 handguns

17 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

As soon as I can afford to purchase one and a TRAINLOAD of ammunition for it.  :)

thats the biggest mistake I see people make. expensive gun to buy and yet didn't even take into consideration it was going to cost more to feed it then buy it. 

20 minutes ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

thats the biggest mistake I see people make. expensive gun to buy and yet didn't even take into consideration it was going to cost more to feed it then buy it. 

Ain't that the truth!

Personally, I want one of the later ones in .30-40 Krag, but that's just a preference.  On the other hand, I have a vague recollection of an article in Guns & Ammo many, many years ago about a compact size Gatlin that could literally be set up on a picnic table that was chambered for .44-40.   That one very well might be ideal for a whole host of reasons.   If you can find one.

16 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Ain't that the truth!

Personally, I want one of the later ones in .30-40 Krag, but that's just a preference.  On the other hand, I have a vague recollection of an article in Guns & Ammo many, many years ago about a compact size Gatlin that could literally be set up on a picnic table that was chambered for .44-40.   That one very well might be ideal for a whole host of reasons.   If you can find one.

I have a full set of prints for the 22lr Gatling gun. 1/4 scale I believe. Thats a future project 

Archived