SASS Wire Forum

26 Bar Ranch collection

Wapaloosie73

When I moved to Casa Grande, Az. back in the 70’s it wasn’t uncommon to see John Wayne and his partner Louis Johnson at a little diner on Main Street having breakfast. They owned Red River Land and Cattle Company out at Stanfield, Az. and would frequent that little cafe quite often when they were in town and not up at the 26 Bar. Red River used to be a customer of mine in the two-way radio business and over the years I installed quite a few mobile phones in Louis’s vehicles and his son Butch Johnson’s vehicles. I got a tour of the 26Bar from one of the granddaughters one time, quite a place.

18 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

When I moved to Casa Grande, Az. back in the 70’s it wasn’t uncommon to see John Wayne and his partner Louis Johnson at a little diner on Main Street having breakfast. They owned Red River Land and Cattle Company out at Stanfield, Az. and would frequent that little cafe quite often when they were in town and not up at the 26 Bar. Red River used to be a customer of mine in the two-way radio business and over the years I installed quite a few mobile phones in Louis’s vehicles and his son Butch Johnson’s vehicles. I got a tour of the 26Bar from one of the granddaughters one time, quite a place.

I moved his nurse from Southern California up to NE Washington. Dad had a small moving company. I of course asked her how big he was.... I’m 6’3” and 260 lbs. 

She looked me up and down and said.....”Well he was as tall as you.....probably taller, but he certainly was NOT as big as you!”

I never felt more like Hoss Cartwright in my life. Dadburn it!

Later we were touring Hollywood and I found his boot prints at the Chinese theater. I put my Clydesdale clod stompers next to his and it pretty much confirmed what the mean nurse had said about me.:blink:

Archived