SASS Wire Forum

Uberti firing pin spring

Von Dutch, SASS # 7995

Does  anyone know where a person can get a firing pin spring for a new style  Uberti bolt? a friend called me and he took his 73 apart for cleaning for the first time and it had know spring? the action work was done by a smith that's been around a long time? And if you go to one of the parts supply places the spring is $8.00 and $10.00 to ship and that is crazy? Thanks Von Dutch

Try Pioneer gun works. Ask for Joe. They specialize in 73s, short stroke kits etc. They’re in Oregon.

heres the number. 541-515-6084

Tell em Daniel referred ya

You need to get ahold of the smith and have him ship you a new spring. 

I understand that that everyone makes mistakes but you always function check a weapon before it goes out the customer. 

in any event that’s on him. And he needs to square up with you on that. 

Have your friend look again, very very carefully.  Often the firing pin return spring will stick in the Breach Block.  It will look initially like a ledge machined in there.  Stick the tip of the firing pin in there and see if it moves.

Most places that have a firing pin return spring, it is a reduced power spring and is attached to a firing pin.  Brownells carries parts.  However, there is a really really good chance the postage for a single spring or single screw will exceed the cost of the part.

PS:  Forgot.  If this rifle has had action work your friend may well NOT want an OEM Firing Pin Return Spring in the rifle.  

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Have your friend look again, very very carefully.  Often the firing pin return spring will stick in the Breach Block.  It will look initially like a ledge machined in there.  Stick the tip of the firing pin in there and see if it moves.

Most places that have a firing pin return spring, it is a reduced power spring and is attached to a firing pin.  Brownells carries parts.  However, there is a really really good chance the postage for a single spring or single screw will exceed the cost of the part.

PS:  Forgot.  If this rifle has had action work your friend may well NOT want an OEM Firing Pin Return Spring in the rifle.  

This

If he shot the gun and it worked (why else clean it?) it had the firing pin return spring in there. As said sometimes they stick in the back of the bolt where the diameter goes from fairly large to just big enough to for the firing pin itself. The spring can be hard to see in there. I have had success using a dental pick with a hook in it to tease the spring back out. They will usually work for a while before the spring binds and does not retract the pin back into the bolt and then you risk having an essentially rigid firing pin protruding from the face of the bolt. Most of the ones I have seen were a situation where the OEM spring was cut and the coil of the spring worked its way forward until it wedged into the firing pin channel.

Good luck

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I agree with CC and GK above mentioned. For a diagram go to www.wheelergunworks.com select helpful hints, then, bolt ID maintenance, this may help.

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

This

If he shot the gun and it worked (why else clean it?) it had the firing pin return spring in there. As said sometimes they stick in the back of the bolt where the diameter goes from fairly large to just big enough to for the firing pin itself. The spring can be hard to see in there. I have had success using a dental pick with a hook in it to tease the spring back out. They will usually work for a while before the spring binds and does not retract the pin back into the bolt and then you risk having an essentially rigid firing pin protruding from the face of the bolt. Most of the ones I have seen were a situation where the OEM spring was cut and the coil of the spring worked its way forward until it wedged into the firing pin channel.

Good luck

Gateway Kid

I went over and checked, it had no firing pin spring and I could see it never had one!  

just curious, how could you tell it never had a spring?

When the firing pin is removed my return springs generally come with it, if they don't they are usually stuck inside the bolt and if they do not fall out easily that is when you know you have problems.

If the spring was not in the bolt,  as the gun was fired the base (larger back portion) of the firing pin would be slamming into the bolt recess, possibly deforming it and definitely not returning the firing pin extension to the fully extended position. This would most likely leave the firing pin point extended past the bolt face. I do not know how many cycles it would take but I have broken a couple OEM firing pins at the point where the pin extends from the base and those had their spring in there. After a relatively low round count (maybe 2 or 3 hundred) the pin would break because of the extra stress due to an improperly fitted firing pin This is part of the reason many smiths replace the OEM pin with a more performance oriented pin to reduce breakage under our heavy usage. I am uncertain how a gun with no spring at all would function for any length of time if at all. (Don't know about some of the one piece designs currently available as I do not use that type)

Not arguing with you just hoping to understand the physics of your situation for future reference

All the best

Gateway Kid

14 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

just curious, how could you tell it never had a spring?

When the firing pin is removed my return springs generally come with it, if they don't they are usually stuck inside the bolt and if they do not fall out easily that is when you know you have problems.

If the spring was not in the bolt,  as the gun was fired the base (larger back portion) of the firing pin would be slamming into the bolt recess, possibly deforming it and definitely not returning the firing pin extension to the fully extended position. This would most likely leave the firing pin point extended past the bolt face. I do not know how many cycles it would take but I have broken a couple OEM firing pins at the point where the pin extends from the base and those had their spring in there. After a relatively low round count (maybe 2 or 3 hundred) the pin would break because of the extra stress due to an improperly fitted firing pin This is part of the reason many smiths replace the OEM pin with a more performance oriented pin to reduce breakage under our heavy usage. I am uncertain how a gun with no spring at all would function for any length of time if at all. (Don't know about some of the one piece designs currently available as I do not use that type)

Not arguing with you just hoping to understand the physics of your situation for future reference

All the best

Gateway Kid

Well he has been shooting this 73 for years and has never did a complete take down for cleaning, he would just take the side plates off clean what he could shoot it with oil and put the side plates back on. At a shoot he was having problems ask me to look at it, I ask him when is the last time he took it apart for cleaning he said never because he didn't know how, so I told him when he was ready to do it call me and I would help him well when he got to the bolt he said there was no spring I said it should have one maybe its stuck, so he said he didn't see one so I went over to he's house and when I looked inside the bolt it had a lot of dried oil inside when I cleaned it all out there was no spring and it had so much crud in it the spring could not have fallen out.

OK.  I don't know why someone would assemble the rifle without a firing pin return spring.  Usually when an action job is done the firing pin return spring is replaced with a much lighter and shorter spring.  Just sufficient to return the firing pin and extension rod and no more.  

If an OEM return spring is used, the spring would be shortened to a length to allow return of the firing pin and extension rod and no more.  An OEM return spring could very well have enough resistance to cause fail to fire with a light Main Spring.

As you have seen with this rifle, a '73 will function without the return spring.

1 hour ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Well he has been shooting this 73 for years and has never did a complete take down for cleaning, he would just take the side plates off clean what he could shoot it with oil and put the side plates back on. At a shoot he was having problems ask me to look at it, I ask him when is the last time he took it apart for cleaning he said never because he didn't know how, so I told him when he was ready to do it call me and I would help him well when he got to the bolt he said there was no spring I said it should have one maybe its stuck, so he said he didn't see one so I went over to he's house and when I looked inside the bolt it had a lot of dried oil inside when I cleaned it all out there was no spring and it had so much crud in it the spring could not have fallen out.

Thanks

Gateway

All this said. 

It's a good reason to have a kit of springs laying around. I've got a few small boxes of various springs, not to mention the stuff that I have set up for specific guns in kits it's would not be hard to replace a missing spring with something that will work. And yes I can see a lighter hammer spring not having the umph on some guns to get past the firing pin spring and properly fire off a round. That coil spring kit from Pioneer is light. so light I was wondering if the rifle would fire. So far no mis fires. and I've put close to 200 through the rifle so far. 

As for not cleaning..... Well all my firearms (Except the two AK's I have) get a complete detail strip and cleaning once a year or every 1500-2000 rounds depending on use. If the gun has not been used in a few years and only has a few hundred rounds since last cleaning I don't worry about it. 

Now you may ask how do i Know round count? Am I just guessing? And I ask you Don't you have a round count log book? I keep a running log on all my guns I desire to keep track of. Which right now is only five of the twenty eight firearms I own. and these are my competition firearms. 

Archived