SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Coach, Lighter Triggers Fix?

David Balthazar

Got me a Stoeger Coach gun, and the double triggers are awful.  Was looking for a source as to lightening the pulls.  I am a handy gunsmith with limitations.  I heard there were lighter triggers springs out there, and not above thinning the current ones.  There are videos on slicking one up (and I have), but no one seems to be delving into a "how to" on the triggers, at least that I can find.  Don't want to send it out since it seems pricey and I ain't looking for super light pulls, just dropping them to under 15+ pounds (which is what they feel like).

Any advice, even a guide to dismantling the whole system would be good.

Thanks boys!!

The trigger pull as in take up and break is not bad it’s just heavy as hell. 

A simple fix that will get you a far lower weight is to just bend the spring legs a bit and decrease the preload. Trigger pull on my gun is now down to about 4 pounds.

not great but it’s far better than it was and I don’t like shotguns with really light triggers anyway. 

The only other thing thing you can do is pull the triggers out and start honing sear surfaces. I don’t recommend that unless you really know what you’re doing as you can ruin parts real quick and you can make the gun unsafe. 

You can really improve the feel just by reducing the preload on the springs

Son of The MS, do you have a Stoeger?  I am going to make a go of it after next week's match and  polish all related parts, thin some leaf springs and anything that touches something else gets polished too. 

8 hours ago, bgavin said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrtBEi1csOA

This is a very clear and concise YouTube showing the internals of slicking the Stoeger

Thank you both, but there is still no definitive info on addressing the trigger pull and take downs, unless I missed something?

When I started I got a Stoeger as well and did all the basic stuff in those documents/tutorials mentioned. I did not mess with the triggers though. That is beyond my ability, sorry I can't help more.

Something to remember.  Shotgun triggers were actually meant to be "Slapped" rapidly.  Not squeezed as in bullseye targets.  May not be a really good idea to mess with your triggers.  There isn't a whole lot to be done anyway.  The trigger "pull" is mostly affected by the Main Springs pressure on the hammers.

CC, thank you for the advice but I have never "slapped" a shotgun trigger--though I see some prescribe to it.  Was never trained that way, and can't see the advantage at this age.  Still there appears to be a dearth of information, so I will forge forward when I get my back up scattergun and we will all see what happens I guess :ph34r:

Archived