SASS Wire Forum

Mystery Bullets

Smoky Pistols

Just opened a box of bullets that was labeled as 38s that definitely didn’t look right. Random sampling measures from .453-.456 and weighs in at 216.4 grains with lube in the groove.  Checked my manual and think I have a box of 45 LC. Would I be correct?  Or am I way off?

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
15 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Just opened a box of bullets that was labeled as 38s that definitely didn’t look right. Random sampling measures from .453-.456 and weighs in at 216.4 grains with lube in the groove.  Checked my manual and think I have a box of 45 LC. Would I be correct?  Or am I way off?

If you have to ask you should sell your guns and never ,ever reload.;) :FlagAm:

41 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

4 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Yes, they are 215 grain 45 Colt bullets. 

Yep, as Marauder said, you've got a box of .45 Colt bullets, 215gr.  Probably .454    If you can't use them, carry them to a match.  Someone will probably trade you what you need. 

I thought about getting rid of them, but then I thought, “You know, you do have that Bond derringer in 45LC/.410. Time to think about learning to reload another caliber”. Thanks for the help fellas!

18 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

I thought about getting rid of them, but then I thought, “You know, you do have that Bond derringer in 45LC/.410. Time to think about learning to reload another caliber”. Thanks for the help fellas!

Depending on what you are gonna do with that Bond, you might want a lighter bullet (say, 160gr?) for less recoil.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Depending on what you are gonna do with that Bond, you might want a lighter bullet (say, 160gr?) for less recoil.

reason mine is in .357 and use 38 Sp mouse phart loads in it

Just found another batch that was supposed to be 125gr .38s. Weighs in at 169.1 grains with lube and calibers our to .3085. Old 30-30?  Anybody got a guess?

7EE41992-8761-4B98-A945-E7127891AFAE.jpeg

I would guess 30-30 / 170 grn. with provision for gas check.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thanks- Didn't think about the gas check ring.  So, if one was to use these, is a gas check required, or can they be loaded without?  May just try and sell 'em. 

15 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Thanks- Didn't think about the gas check ring.  So, if one was to use these, is a gas check required, or can they be loaded without?  May just try and sell 'em. 

They can be loaded without gas checks at lower velocities (below 2000 fps.) accuracy might or might not suffer. A Lee bullet sizing die will install gas checks on the bases if you decide to go that route. 170 gr bullets work great in a .30/30.

Smoky,

you're going about this thing all wrong. You've got the bullets ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now go buy a gun for them. :rolleyes: That's what I always do. :P

Isom

2 hours ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Smoky,

you're going about this thing all wrong. You've got the bullets ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now go buy a gun for them. :rolleyes: That's what I always do. :P

Isom

I definitely like your logic, but there is a flaw.  Unfortunately I already own firearms that will fit those bullets.  I guess what I need to follow your course of action is to have one or two well meaning souls (they'd have to have only the best intentions of course!) to send me a thousand bullets of a caliber I don't currently possess!  Yeah--let's give that a try.  PM me if you need my address!  LOL

It's kind of funny how this worked out.  I bought approximately 10K bullets from a man that was getting out of the game and selling a 38 rifle.  Boxes were mismatched, but all had different manufacturer's labels (all saying 38s).  I've loaded about 1500 of these bullets and then went to open a new box--turned out to be 45LC.   Figured I better check the entire stock so I opened a second box that turned out to be 30/30.  Two other boxes (1000 ea) actually look to be frangible 38s, but I need to grab a hammer and test them.

Mind you, I'm not complaining too loudly, at what I paid for the lot, I'd have still gotten a killer deal even if I could only use a third of them, and I'm lucky that at least I have the guns to fit them-just haven't reloaded that caliber yet (so I do get to buy some new loading dies!!!!)   

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

This. Accuracy sucks without that gas check

The .30s look home cast also. No lube in the grooves. Do they have a waxy coating on them. If so it's liquid Alox. Good stuff.

16 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

It's kind of funny how this worked out.  I bought approximately 10K bullets from a man that was getting out of the game and selling a 38 rifle.  Boxes were mismatched, but all had different manufacturer's labels (all saying 38s).  I've loaded about 1500 of these bullets and then went to open a new box--turned out to be 45LC.   Figured I better check the entire stock so I opened a second box that turned out to be 30/30.  Two other boxes (1000 ea) actually look to be frangible 38s, but I need to grab a hammer and test them.

I'd bet he was a bullet caster & used old boxes to store different bullets he had cast.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:13 AM, Michigan Slim said:

The .30s look home cast also. No lube in the grooves. Do they have a waxy coating on them. If so it's liquid Alox. Good stuff.

I took the lube out of the grooves to get a more accurate weight on the bullet.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:55 AM, Yusta B. said:

I'd bet he was a bullet caster & used old boxes to store different bullets he had cast.

He may have been, however the lot was sold as all 38s that could be used in the rifle he sold me.  Could have been an honest mix-up.  As stated before, I got a hell of a deal on the bullets, even with two mislabeled boxes, and I can still use the mislabeled ones at some point as well.  Just kind of took me by surprise, is all.

Archived