SASS Wire Forum

Check off list for a match

Matthew Duncan

Twenty year ago I read on this here forum that cowpokes had check off lists so they wouldn't leave a vital piece of equipment at home.  Shucks said I, what's wrong with their memory.  I've got my memory list!

Well it's been an awful long winter, first match of the year is tomorrow.  Trying to find where everything got moved to since last year. and not end up leaving something behind.  Started thinking perhaps a list would help....

The first time you forget something....... That's when you will make that list!  :)

I have seen shooters show up for MAJOR shoots..... Without.....

A Shotgun

Leather

Ammo

Gun Cart

Boots

Spurs (B-Western Shooter)

Had one show up without pants! (All he had was shorts)

Left our pistols at home one time. Thanks to Lefty and Iron Hip, we still shot.

I have a list I made up in Microsoft word.  I print one out every time I start loading the car for a shoot and then check off the items as I put them in the car.  Haven't forgot anything since I started using the list.  I also have one for Civil War reenacting and Cowboy reenacting.  They work good.

Lists only count sometimes.  Went to Florida for our "Spring Fling", a 948 mile journey but well worth it.  Got to the range there and started unpacking and I'm looking at my rifle and something just didn't seem right.  Unpacked the shotguns (mine and my wife's) still looking at my rifle thinking something just isn't right.  Then I unpacked her rifle and then I'm standing there staring at mine thinking "Damn, the hole in the end of my rifle seems too dang big, what in tarnation is going on here... OH, Expletive Deleted!  I manage to grabbed the wrong rifle, my 38/40 instead of the .38/357.  Shared with my wife (Thank You Darlin') for the first three days of shooting, and she brought mine back with her on the plane for the match the following weekend.  No question, my own dang fault, but I did check that it was my '73 and not my '92, just didn't think to check the caliber.  Added another checkbox to the list.  :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I have a list I made up in Microsoft word.  I print one out every time I start loading the car for a shoot and then check off the items as I put them in the car.  Haven't forgot anything since I started using the list.  I also have one for Civil War reenacting and Cowboy reenacting.  They work good.

could you PM me a copy? or email?

List ? That's gonna take some of the excitement out of my shoots ......   :D

3 hours ago, Castalia,SASS#18915 said:

I posted the original attachment that you can print from. I got this from a pard many years ago here on the wire. With the attachment you can edit calibers and other options.

caschecklist.doc 41 kB · 4 downloads

Scan_Pic0002.jpg

Thanks I made one to use for Travel Matches but it's not nearly this nice. I'll try to modify and use this now.

Randy

One of the few times we made plans to shoot at a match far away and combine with some sight seeing.   I took pictures of all the guns we packed - including the serial numbers.  

1720549165_HisandherssmokewagonsSept2018.jpg.0d442425c7f55162fbfc1157d32566d1.jpg

This happens to be one of many.   The match got rained out so we didn't get to shoot but the guns enjoyed the trip.

Ruthie & I each have a "range bag" where we store/keep our leather, eyes & ears, and all accouterments. I have a tool box with emergency tools/parts and I keep an ammo bag stocked with 4 boxes of shells, 100 rounds ea of 38 & 45. Guns are stored in 2 rifle cases, 2 pistol cases.

We can hit the road to the range by loading guncart, 2 range bags, , 2 pistol cases, 2 rifle cases, ammo bag, tool bag, and water/snack bag into the truck. Everything (except water/snacks) gets reworked before storing when coming in so we are ready at short notice to load & go. That should make the checklist simple.....

Still got to the range one morning without my rifle case. No rifle, no shotgun.

Maybe a checklist is a good idea.

I don’t have a list, just a routine.

When we come back from a match as all the guns are being brought in, ammo for the next match is being brought out. Loading blocks are topped off, consumables replenished, everything goes in the trunk. The gun carts stay there too. At that point all we need are guns, rigs and hats, which are kept in the house.

The night before the next match the rigs and hats(coats) go in the trunk, if the car is in the garage the guns go in to, if not they’re staged downstairs by the front door. If it’s an overnighter the suitcases go in. Before bed everyone sets out their cowboy clothes.

In the morning clean up, get dressed, eat, put guns in the car and go.

Hmmmmmm might have helped for the Dept of the Platte muster last year, took the NM Vaquero 45 colt out of the safe and put in my office where the rest of the stuff TD Springfield, leather etc.  were assembled.  Went to Garage picked up the ammo.  Loaded everything up in the Garden box on back of truck.  Got to muster and discovered I only though I loaded everything up.  When I got back home a month latter the Vaquero was still sitting on the box I had set it on a month earlier.  Thanks to sage brush burns and an Open top I was able to shoot the match.  He offered up one of his colts but as much as I would have loved to shoot a real colt, did not want to wreck one or have BP cause rust on it.  The Open top was really clean when he lent it to me.  Worked really hard to make sure it was even cleaner when he got it back, with the exception of maybe too much ballistol on it to make sure all the water used to clean the BP mess did not rust it.  Must have worked as he did not shoot me at WR.

I have 4 cardboard boxes and saddlebags that have everything I could need at any match thru the year. One other box holds ammo, loading blocks. My checklist is 5 boxes/saddlebags and the variables of food, clothes, hat, guns, ammo, and which gun cart (minimalist cart when bays are close to truck). After match, I check my 4 boxes to make sure all is good and replace whatever needs it. After shoulder surgery, 9 months not shooting, started back shooting, not a problem having everything handy and ready to go.

RRR 

I use a list for EVERY match. Left all of our leather one match. Had it out, just left it. I take all of my clothes out the night before as well. Someone else does not and when we got to a regional, found out she had two different boots... Oops! Use the checklist, check yer stuff!

That's one heck of a list. I'm with Savvy Jack,,,, rifle, pistols, shotgun, ammo for all (correct ammo). Guncart stays in the van. I've got a 5 gallon bucket with everything in it. If it's an out of towner ,, clothes, everything goes in the van the night before except guns. I'm gone!!!

Isom

A step beyond:

Does anybody have a list of tasks and hardware that you use and are willing to share  for putting on a shoot?  Things like timer batteries, score cards, spotter flags/batons, water, ice, range operational flags, clay birds, etc., etc.? 

Forgot gun cart once

Forgot belt & holsters once

Forgot hat once - not required,  but it was HOT out, so I stopped at a farm supply on the way &  bought a cheap straw hat.

Brought mismatched ammo/guns twice - .44-40 ammo/.38-40 rifle - .45 ammo/.38 rifle & pistols.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:44 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don’t have a list, just a routine.

I have a routine too, but when something breaks that routine!  I had purchase wooden spoked wheels for my gun cart.  Wheels were out in the shop drying from a coat of paint when I loaded the truck up on Friday evening.  Saturday morning I was a mile from home when I remembered (fortunately) the the wheels were in the shop and not in the truck.

I forgot my holsters. Once.

After that, I made up my own check-list.

I leave all my wearing apparel in the RV I take to the matches, just to lessen the error factor.

(Psst! Wanna know what the final item on my check-list is?

DOUBLE CHECK THE LIST! )

LaughingSmiley.gif

After driving from Tejas to my first EOT, and left a major item (which the vendors were happy to sell me!), I made a check list for a multi-day shoot.  We used them in the military, pilots use them, and now I use them.  Nothing gets checked off until it goes in the truck...

BBB

On 4/19/2019 at 6:25 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

I've got my memory list!

CRS set in early with me. I typed up a check list a bazillion years ago. A copy resides in the ammo box of my guncart. Every time I get ready for a match, the list comes out. I don't have check boxes, I just go down the list as I get everything ready. The list is pretty old, and some of the items are no longer needed, but I keep the list anyway. I can still mentally eliminate the stuff I don't need. Works for me.

CAS%20Check%20List%2001_zpszdzkmrwy.jpg

On 4/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

CRS set in early with me. I typed up a check list a bazillion years ago. A copy resides in the ammo box of my guncart. Every time I get ready for a match, the list comes out. I don't have check boxes, I just go down the list as I get everything ready. The list is pretty old, and some of the items are no longer needed, but I keep the list anyway. I can still mentally eliminate the stuff I don't need. Works for me.

CAS%20Check%20List%2001_zpszdzkmrwy.jpg

I see you got everything Driftwood!

1A7FE51F-A82B-4865-A5FC-0FB82CF16027.jpeg

Archived