SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Coach Supreme Finish Options

bgavin

I have been digging to find out more about the various finish options for the Coach Gun Supreme.
Several online queries to Stoeger have gone unanswered, so I called them directly.

I was told there is no significant durability advantage between the various finishes.
In all models, the receiver and barrels are steel composition.
I will assume the nickel finish requires a bit less attention than the blued finish.

The stainless finish on model #31483 is plate, not a solid stainless receiver.
The nickel finish on model #31482 is plate, receiver and barrels
The blue finish on model #31481 is blued steel

The price is the same for any of the above models.
On the shelf availability appears to be limited to the nickel model.

I was also told there have been no significant engineering changes.
This tells me there is no advantage to having a very recent production model.

If you are looking for recommendations I recommend the blued. The reason is if you have to have the rib soldered back on the barrel as I did on one of mine you won't have as much evidence that it was done on the blued model. We are not talking about a fancy gun here. Think of it like a hammer, Do you want a black hammer or a silver hammer? A tool, I chose the blued and am glad I did because I don't much care how it looks and having had to do some soldering on it didn't bother me as much on the blued. I would think the nickel or stainless would show any work done to it more than the blued. Just my opinion.

I forgot to mention that the single trigger is not as dependable as the double trigger. I have two double trigger models and have the triggers reversed. They run good for a cheap shotgun.

Thanks for that useful comment.

I've been digging on this one, and already found the comments from Nate about single triggers being problematic.
I have to learn the gun from the ground up anyway, so double triggers are just something to learn.

I never hope to be a competitive star... just to have fun with my wife at the CAS events.
After a lifetime in the computer business, I have a belly full of Unreliable Stuff...  which is why I'm digging deep before diving in.

I have a new pair of SASS Vaqueros in 357 and an 1894CB in 357.
Need the coach gun to complete the weapon set.

I really would prefer all stainless, but that does not seem to be available from anybody.

Gavin

About the only advantage to the Supreme Coachgunsother than the optional finishes(IMHO) is the screw in chokes.

I've  shot mine in CAS for several years and never felt the need to change choke tubes.The only complaint I have is the soft firing pins.Hardened pins are cheap and easy to change out.

For an entry level shotgun I would recommend them.

Choctaw Jack 

Welcome to the best game there is. Take what you have and go to a match and shoot. Let the MD know before you get there and I'm sure someone will have a shotgun you can use, and probably help you locate one to buy. 

Stoeger has changed their design for the Coach Gun Supreme over the years.

My 1st Coach Gun Supreme had 24 inch nickel barrels and very pretty AA Grade of Wood in the stock and forearm.  It started mis-firing last year, so I had to replace that shotgun.

I have purchased eight new supremes over the years, but none of them are of the grade of my 1st one.  The barrels are 20 inch, the wood is not nearly as pretty, and they just seem not to be made as well.

The above comment about repairs being easier on blued parts is a strong motivation to buy all blued finish.
Any soldering work would require cutting through the nickel plate, and leave an obvious scar.

I'd think using bluing touchup after solder work, might be less visible.

Yeah... I'm overthinking this whole thing.
I'm from the Buy Once, Cry Once school of thought.

5 minutes ago, bgavin said:

The above comment about repairs being easier on blued parts is a strong motivation to buy all blued finish.
Any soldering work would require cutting through the nickel plate, and leave an obvious scar.

I'd think using bluing touchup after solder work, might be less visible.

Yeah... I'm overthinking this whole thing.
I'm from the Buy Once, Cry Once school of thought.

Then you really should save up and buy a new Charles Daly from Deuce Stephens or Boomstick J or Lassiter, etc... OR save a little more and get an SKB.

I looked at the Charles Daly and see just another import, this one from Chiappa of Italy.
I also see a single trigger which is a more complicated arrangement.

This gun is out of stock in the usual places right now.
I will have to keep researching to determine if there is any useful improvement of the C.D. over the Stoeger.
As with everything, I will have to determine the difference between actual merit and fanboy loyalty.

After 50+ years in the photo and computer industries, I've learned that middle of the road gear can be quite formidable in the hands of somebody who knows how to use it.

SKB does not offer a Coach Gun on their web site.
I will never be a high powered competitor, so I don't need a $6500 7000SL... ;)

I shoot Stoegers

First purchase was in 2003..  :D

The basic cheapest Stoeger.. 12  ga. SxS Double trigger.. All blued..

I put a recoil pad on it.. Disabled the auto safety..

Chamfered and polished the chambers..

I also had a local gun shop open both barrel chokes up on it to improved cylinders..

My wife took it away from me late 2004.. :huh:

To replace it I purchased a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme.. :D

12 ga. SxS  Double trigger.. Blued barrels.. Polished receiver..

I Put improved cylinder chokes in both barrels..

Disabled auto safety.. Chamfered and polished the chambers..

2019.. Both still running strong..

Rance;)

Thinkin that's just me:mellow:

My Supreme has the stainless receiver and blued barrel. I have used it for CAS for 6 years now with no issues. I did do the Larsen Pettifogger tuning tips. I haven't, knock on wood had any issues with the firing pins. Not so sure about the stainless being a plate as when I polished and honed the receiver, no other metal showed thru. Seems to be a decent shotgun for the price.

PILING ON!!  I personally see no good reason to spend 12 to 1800 Bucks for a Shotgun for CAS.  OK, if your one of the top 5% in this game (it IS a game), maybe.  BUT .... there is nothing wrong with a Stoeger.  DOUBLE TRIGGER!!  I'd also suggest the Supreme.  You get chokes and a recoil pad (I'm a recoil wimp).  A far as the actual finish goes, select what is most ascetically pleasing to YOU.  Your the one who has to shot it after all.

ONE other CAVEAT:  The most important CAVEAT.  You CANNOT share shotguns with your sweetie.  Unless you two are the exact height, reach and weight.  If you get behind a shotgun that DOES NOT fit, the outcome will NOT be harmonious.  Most "Target" ammunition is NOT light.  Consider Winchester AA Featherlight.  They have a numerical designation but I forget.  You are correct, a good mid-range piece of equipment will give very good performance in the hands of someone whom is willing to practice a little.

When I called Stoeger techs, he said the stainless finish on the receiver is plate.  Otherwise, solid stainless would increase the gun price 3x (his statement).

I do like my all-stainless guns, but repairs and bluing touchup is a whole lot easier than stainless or nickel plates.
Thanks again to the comment above that pointed this out.

Replacement impeller lock prings and actuators are cheap from midwest gun works.
I'd think it worth while to drop the $10 to one of each if one is going to whack the spring coils and shorten (bypass) the safety impeller.

I picked up a case of AA Featherlight after running the numbers through my recoil spread sheet.

If you are a buy once, cry once, then save up slightly more, get a Baikal, send it to Johnny Meadows or another shotgun smith and be done with it.

The Charles Daly also has a major advantage in that I heard its a mechanical single trigger. If that's true, then that basically means it's as reliable as the double trigger for all intents and purposes.

Lastly, the SKBs and BSS are not made anymore so you won't find them on the website.  You have to buy them off classifieds or GBroker etc and are usually in the 1000-1400 range I've seen for a 12ga

Archived