SASS Wire Forum

Anyone still using Ruger Blackhawks for CAS?

Joe Burr, SASS#12614

Mornin'. Been a long time since I've been on the forum. I've done some searches here (with little success) and on some other forums and from what I could it doesn't appear that many people use Ruger Blackhawks anymore for CAS. Anyone still using them? If so, what do you run and are they stock or modified in anyway? 

If I understand the categories correctly one can only use adjustable sights in Wrangler? 

I've got a Old Model Flat top in .357...I'm trying to figure whether it's worth finding a 2nd gun and using them for CAS. I've got a pair of Colts that I use but you know it's easier to buy another gun when everyone tells you you should!!

I use a pair in the Spring when I am shooting smokeless powder.  Mine have been worked on by LongHunters.   With their adjustable sights they are ideal for long range revolver matches as they hit perfect point-of-aim.  I got them for $250 each when I started shooting CAS and never sold them.

I used to shoot Blackhawks in Senior Gunfighter Category, a few years back...rules tightened up...will again later this year as Gunfighter style, but in B-Western Category.

RRR

OPEN AGE CATEGORIES

Open age categories have no age parameters and carry the following guidelines:

- May use any main match revolver.

AGE BASED CATEGORIES

Age based categories are offered to allow all participants to compete amongst their peers.  

Age based categories carry the following guidelines:

- May use any main match revolver. 

B-Western/Lady B-Western Category

B-Western shooting category carries rules and guidelines for both costuming/leather and firearm usage.  

Firearm Rules:

- Any main match revolver may be used. 

SHB pp. 5-8

Have three Ruger Old Model 3 screw unconverted, 4 3/4", Altamont grips, .38 / .357 but use .38 special only.

Excellent with smooth action. 

20190404_104631.jpg

I have a couple of 50th Ann. Blackhawk's in .357 that I used for years until I went with New Vaquero's. They serve as (unneeded) backups. Work great. Just decided that I prefer stainless guns. The Blackhawk's were tuned by Mid-MD; Vaquero's by Cody. Probably should sell them, but too lazy.

Church Key

When shooting smokeless I use Blackhawks, either .357 or .45 with 45 ACP cylinders as the mood strikes me. All of them have Wolf springs, the .357s  have Super Blackhawk hammers.

I always get a laugh when someone tries to tell me that I can't use the ACP cartridge in a revolver.

Duffield

I have a pair of 3 screw .357's that I used for 20 years, then I changed to Duelist, But I'll still use them if I don't have enough ammo for the .45 Colt Vaquero's

I use SS .357 NM Blackhawks as my main match revolvers! Been using them for 5 years without a hiccup. Bought them from another cowboy when I first started CAS already slicked and reverse spin pawl installed. I have big hands and the BHs just seemed a better fit for me than Vaqueros. Altho, they are just a wee bit heavier.

Blackhawk_photo_2.JPG

Use to use a 3-screw Flat Top Blackhawk in .44 Mangle-em (with reduced loads) back when only one sixgun was required.  Somewhere in there, when 2 guns became required, I added a well-used old 1st-gen Colt's in .45.  When Ruger introduced the Old Model Vaqueros, I went to a pair, that I had fitted out with interchangeable cylinders for .44 Maggie and .44-40.

I have a pair I bought to use when I got old enough to shoot Senior Duelist. About a year before I got old enough it was decided that Senior Duelist could no longer use adjustable sights.  As a result I changed to Bisleys and that was a great choice.

Just remember Senior Duelist and Senior Gunfighter aren't Age Based Categories.

Randy

Hmmmmmm maybe I should start using my 10 inch SBH and the Bisley BH 44 mags!  Got the long barreled SBH at an el paso gun show circa 94 for $250 with uncle mikes shoulder rig.  Did not really want a 44 Mag but for the money was too good to pass up.

Archived