SASS Wire Forum

ASM Liberty base pin problem

Bugler

My ASM Liberty 44-40 (copy of a '73 Colt) has recently developed a problem with the base pin walking forward when firing. The load is mild enough ( 6 gr, of Unique with a 200 gr. RNFP that I have used for many years).

I went to  the Belt Mountain Home page and all I saw were pins for Rugers......

Any suggestions as to the real problem?

Bugler

Needs a stronger spring in the base pin latch.   May have to experiment with a spring assortment (like Brownell's has) to find one that is 50% os so stronger.  Also, check for a burr where latch pin locks in the base pin - burr may be preventing latch from locking in place.

Good luck, GJ

8 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Needs a stronger spring in the base pin latch.   May have to experiment with a spring assortment (like Brownell's has) to find one that is 50% os so stronger.  Also, check for a burr where latch pin locks in the base pin - burr may be preventing latch from locking in place.

Good luck, GJ

...and also check out a Belt Mountain Base pin.

You may try taking the base pin latch assembly out and giving it a critical examination.   The side that slides into the base pin groove may be worn down. There may be junk or burrs keeping it from going in all the way.  The spring may be weak and need replaced.  They make stronger springs to help the latch performance. 

I have a Pietta that I give the base pin latch an extra push when the base pin is replaced to make sure it slid all the way in.  Often it doesn't seat all the way under its own power.  Once it's fully bottomed out, it holds the base pin securely. 

Also, the groove in the base pin could be worn rounded on the edge.  

So annoying is it to have base pin jump forward,  I make my own that won't jump forward. 

22 hours ago, Bugler said:

My ASM Liberty 44-40 (copy of a '73 Colt) has recently developed a problem with the base pin walking forward when firing. The load is mild enough ( 6 gr, of Unique with a 200 gr. RNFP that I have used for many years).

I went to  the Belt Mountain Home page and all I saw were pins for Rugers......

Any suggestions as to the real problem?

Bugler

if you email Kyle at Belt Mountain you can order the Colt style pin. They had the #5 one in stock to fit Colt clones, and I just got mine yesterday for my EMF GW's.

For the spring on the latch, Wolff has replacement springs that might help.

BD

For the record, I've had some problems with base pins in Uberti's and Pietta's and I've seen problems with Rugers also! Isn't it wierd that with all the COLTS I've had and have now there has NEVER been a problem with a COLT base pin...NEVER in 20+ years!! ;)

On 4/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, Buckshot Dobbs said:

if you email Kyle at Belt Mountain you can order the Colt style pin. They had the #5 one in stock to fit Colt clones, and I just got mine yesterday for my EMF GW's.

For the spring on the latch, Wolff has replacement springs that might help.

BD

I got my Belt Mountain pins in and really like em. Send em an email and you won’t regret it.

BD

B210FB72-D7AD-4734-A70B-9CE156EFCF29.jpeg

85556B61-7CB3-4F7B-805A-C2B5CF76AF44.jpeg

To all.........

Garrison Joe seems to tight the money as usual......does anyone have a suggestion as to what spring weight, diameter and height I should be looking for? This revolver has served me well since 2000 and is just now acting up.

Bugler

Archived