SASS Wire Forum

Overloaded

Subdeacon Joe

This was stopped out on the road by one of our MRE’s: Registration expired since 2011, unsafe load, tube filled with steel lines/dragging on the ground, unsafe load, driver sitting on a milk crate. Did I mention...unsafe load?

Image may contain: shoes, tree, car and outdoor

When I was on Okinawa before We gave it back to the Japanese, there were hundreds of little three wheels Mitsubishi trucks on the island.  Underpowered two and four cylinder two stroke engines and a two speed semi-automatic transmission.

One was turning east off of Highway 1 onto Highway 5 below Kadena AFB and the road became fairly steep.  He was carrying three twenty foot wooden telephone poles strapped up over the cab and sticking our the back about ten feet behind the cab.  The weight shifted and his front wheel left the ground and the poles were dragging on the pavement behind.  He didn't have the horse power to drag them and couldn't unstrap them so he simply got out, caught a cab, and left.

Traffic was all bollixed up so I did a U turn and went home another way.

Let's see...  how to put this delicately:

Noting where this occurred, I'm a mite curious as to the driver's origin and license status.  whistling.gif

This is like something I did one time.  My supervisor had just completed a big project with bricks at  his house.  I had just torn down a rotted side porch on  my house and my cousin-in-law is a bricklayer.    My supervisor had a lot of bricks left over and told me I could have them as long as I could carry them away.  So crazy me, I loaded my Mercury Grand Marquis  with probably 1000 pounds of bricks.  The fun part was layering the load in the passenger compartment so the back end of the car wouldn't drag.  I made that run from his house to my house twice and I was sweating bullets all the way.  I figured if I hit anything with a big car carrying an extra 1000 pounds of bricks anything the car hit would be destroyed.

10 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I resemble that remark....

Along with Brooks & Dunn........

10 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

This is like something I did one time.  My supervisor had just completed a big project with bricks at  his house.  I had just torn down a rotted side porch on  my house and my cousin-in-law is a bricklayer.    My supervisor had a lot of bricks left over and told me I could have them as long as I could carry them away.  So crazy me, I loaded my Mercury Grand Marquis  with probably 1000 pounds of bricks.  The fun part was layering the load in the passenger compartment so the back end of the car wouldn't drag.  I made that run from his house to my house twice and I was sweating bullets all the way.  I figured if I hit anything with a big car carrying an extra 1000 pounds of bricks anything the car hit would be destroyed.

My dad had worked at a sand mining and processing plant.  We need some dirt so we got in the truck, 1969 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 6 cylinder, and went to his work to get some.  Two and a half yards of soil.   I had just enough traction to steer, but could feel it almost breaking traction when I accelerated.  Fortunately it was only about 10 miles.

Archived