SASS Wire Forum

Warbirds for sale

Chantry

If you've got the cash, you can go fast!   :P   Link:  https://www.platinumfighters.com/warbirds

While the desire for a fighter is there, a nice, docile, easy to fly Swordfish would probably be a better choice for me.

Huh...

Four and a half million for the P-51.  But it come with TWENTY spare engines??   :blink:

Would that be a lifetime supply...?   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Huh...

Four and a half million for the P-51.  But it come with TWENTY spare engines??   :blink:

Depends on how hard you are on your engines when racing...

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Huh...

Kinda like having Win. '97. One to shoot, another in the shop and 2 for spare parts.  :rolleyes: 

I just want an F-86. Doesn’t even need to run.

I would love to get an F-14 Tomcat. There is just something about that plane that screams "Pick Me! Pick Me!!" :D

For piston powered it would have to be the F-7F Tiger Cat  :FlagAm:

I'll take the Birddog and the DC-3 and never have to worry about wearing either out.  I would pay a little extra if the DC-3 had a minigun installed in the door.

Not a problem.  "Block" is not solid; cylinders are replaceable, likely done as a set at rebuild time.  :)

Depending on use, MTBMO (Mean Time Between Major Overhaul) for the Merlin can range between 100 hours to 1200+ hours.  That "+" can be a lot of hours!  :P

885484827_MerlinPistonandCylinder.thumb.jpg.cd1d34fa4d7dff1bcd575c79f7fa1a3b.jpg

You'll feel sick when I relate this story:

Around 1947/48 the RCAF was transitioning into Vampire jets, and turning the Spits over to Crown Assets.

Aircraft would be flying on Friday and turned over to Crown Assets on Monday, stripped of guns and radio, if I recall.

Crown Assets put a price of $50.00 each on them.

I worked with a fella whose dad flew P-39's in the Pacific (he even dropped a Zero!).  When he came home after the war he set out to follow his life's ambition and became a dairyman.  

For the remainder of his life he lamented not buying a surplus Airacobra... "But I could buy two heifers for what one airplane sold for!"  :P

He had his dairy and continued as a reservist, finally retiring as a Lt Colonel with a two-seater - don't recall if it was a Cessna or Piper... but it warn't no fighter.  :rolleyes:

When we would go to the Air Races outside of Lancaster, CA in the 60's, several of the pilots were going to Canada and buying WWII surplus fighters cheap.

Sailors like to tell landlubbers that there is a test for determining whether you should buy a boat:  Go to the bank and withdraw all of your hard-earned cash; go home and change into your best suit; turn on your shower, as cold as possible, and step into the tub; with the cold water pouring over your head, start tearing your cash up into small pieces, and watch it go down the drain.  If you are having fun, go ahead and buy that boat!

I've got to imagine that plane enthusiasts have a parallel tale.....

LL

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I just want an F-86. Doesn’t even need to run.

My Dad worked on both airplanes....P51 & F86. IMHO the 2 most beautiful planes of their era.

12 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Sailors like to tell landlubbers that there is a test for determining whether you should buy a boat:  Go to the bank and withdraw all of your hard-earned cash; go home and change into your best suit; turn on your shower, as cold as possible, and step into the tub; with the cold water pouring over your head, start tearing your cash up into small pieces, and watch it go down the drain.  If you are having fun, go ahead and buy that boat!

I've got to imagine that plane enthusiasts have a parallel tale.....

LL

I know that for a fact. 

Love those old planes but..

A They're a bit out of my price range

B I'm not a pilot so I couldn't fly it anyway, and

C I've heard what fuel and aircraft inspection and maintenance cost to fly one

So I guess I'll pass.

JHC :(

On 4/19/2019 at 5:19 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I worked with a fella whose dad flew P-39's in the Pacific (he even dropped a Zero!).  When he came home after the war he set out to follow his life's ambition and became a dairyman.  

For the remainder of his life he lamented not buying a surplus Airacobra... "But I could buy two heifers for what one airplane sold for!"  :P

He had his dairy and continued as a reservist, finally retiring as a Lt Colonel with a two-seater - don't recall if it was a Cessna or Piper... but it warn't no fighter.  :rolleyes:

My dad’s favorite airplane. The reason he joined the AAF. Never got to fly one though. He thought it was the most hot rod looikng plane they had. ( of course that was before the P51 took to the air)

My mom thought the P38 was the coolest.

Archived