SASS Wire Forum

If I were buying a .22 lever rifle..............

Widder, SASS #59054

I posted this here because many of our younger shooters use the .22 lever rifles AND, some

matches are starting to have Side Match Speed Rimfire competition.

I have worked on a few dozen of the Henry .22 lever rifles.   Inside, they are all the same.

But recently, I was given a 'Silver Eagle' model.    WOW..... what a beautiful rifle.

Naturally, if you're looking to buy a rimfire rifle, especially a lever style, you want to get one

that feels good to ya..... and maybe looks good also.

BUT, before you put down those hard earned bucks, ya owe it to yeowndangself to check out a Henry Silver Eagle.

That IS a beautiful rifle.

I prefer the shorter barrel models like the Evil Roy or a Youth model.  But the Silver Eagle has the 20" barrel and it

feels great and balances really nice when you lay that front site out there on your target.

Wish I knew how to post a pic, but apparently they call it the Silver Eagle because of the engraving on the receiver

and the engraved Eagle on it also.

Hope I didn't fling a cravin on any of my Wire Pards..... ;)

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Do you work your magic on these .22s Widder?

Buds has them in the low $600s and it looks good.  Work your magic, put that nice brass front sight you do on it, change out the rear sights for something a bit stouter and that would be mighty fine. 

Thanks for posting the pic, GOODY.   Appreciate it.

Howdy Capt.

Yes, I work on these, and like the others, they can be short stroked also.   

Sending you a PM.

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Will the youth rear stock fit them? Rowdy Riley said they sure are pretty...

TN,

Henry has 2 different style stocks for their rimfire lever rifles.

One is the 'Classic' style, which is the style shown above in the video by Smokestack.

The other style is the 'Golden Boy' style, which is a style similar to the '66/73' style rifles.

If your Youth style stock is of the same 'style', it is interchangeable.

For more info, check out 'Henryusa.com'

..........Widder

Howdy 

Call Henry and they can fix you up.

Usually at decent price.

But my fav .22 lever is that little Browning.

Just so sweet.

Best

CR

I am going to agree about the Browning BL-22. I bought my Grandson, Hot Shot Hayden, a Grade 2 BL-22 and he loves it. It has a short throw, great balance, and accurate as Hell on Wheels. Of the many guns we share, this is his favorite 22 LR. I have shot it several times and it brings me back for when Browning was king. Although the Remington Pump is close behind.

I have had a few different ones.....but my favorite is a older Winchester 9422.....they are out there and worth the $$.

With apologies to Marlin, I also have a sweet little model 39 Century LTD in .22.....made in 1970 and had to be tuned.  Initially it was a rough one.  Never considered it for CAS, its just that old rifle that always was in camp, shot by many and loved by all. The Winchester never needed work, it was so smooth on day one.

Bad, Bad, Bad Widder.......why did you have to post such an article when I "WAS" feeling so content.  Read this the day you posted, now I find my self constantly searching for one in all the local shops and online, then of course, I'll have to get you to work your magic.  Oh well..........

image.png.40de35f0e0c9996eb8cc02997c678ea6.png

2 hours ago, Big Iron Ranger said:

Bad, Bad, Bad Widder.......why did you have to post such an article when I "WAS" feeling so content.  Read this the day you posted, now I find my self constantly searching for one in all the local shops and online, then of course, I'll have to get you to work your magic.  Oh well..........

image.png.40de35f0e0c9996eb8cc02997c678ea6.png

Howdy Ranger.

Honestly, I didn't post this topic to drum up work, although I do welcome folks that want to send me their Henry .22 rifles.

But I was recently given on of these 'Silver Eagle' models, by one of our fellow Cowboys, to slick up and I think its one of the prettiest rifles there is.

Even Slater (the trigger man) is being tempted to get one for himself.

We've had some nice Henry rifles to work on before, but this particular model is really nice.

If you get one, feel free to give me a shout.

I've never owned the Browning .22 lever rifle, although they have a great reputation.

But I have owned (and still own 1 of them) several Winchester 9422's..... and I can tell you without a doubt

the modified Henry .22 is noticeably better, slicker and faster than the 9422.

PLUS, it will have a shorter lever working throw.

..........Widder, The Bad Man!   :lol:

On 4/19/2019 at 11:01 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Will the youth rear stock fit them? Rowdy Riley said they sure are pretty...

TW,

We have an Evil Roy Henry that Widder worked his magic on. I'd be happy to bring it to a match Rowdy Riley could take it for a spin and see how it feels. 

Chickamauga

Widder, 

I handled one at the local Gun shop over the weekend.  They are really nice.  They also had the new 'American Eagle' edition.  It's a really nice rifle as well.  Engraved stock and forearm with that whitewashed look.  Really nice!

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-american-eagle/

H004AE.jpg

18 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

TW,

We have an Evil Roy Henry that Widder worked his magic on. I'd be happy to bring it to a match Rowdy Riley could take it for a spin and see how it feels. 

Chickamauga

That'd be good! I've been letting her shoot the one I have that widder did his magic on. The stock is a bit too long for her though. She likes it better than my browning b-22 and my Winchester 22. 

TN,

Your Golden Boy model has a Length of Pull at 14".

The Evil Roy has a Length of Pull at 13"..... BUT, the Evil Roy also comes with the factory big loop lever.

I think Slim's Evil Roy has the standard lever installed.   Maybe he will chime in to verify.

My Evil Roy has the standard lever and she is welcome to borrow it anytime.   You can't..... but she can... :D

I also have a lever wrap on mine..... and it is the gold standard of 'slick and smooth'.  ;)

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Widder, 

I handled one at the local Gun shop over the weekend.  They are really nice.  They also had the new 'American Eagle' edition.  It's a really nice rifle as well.  Engraved stock and forearm with that whitewashed look.  Really nice!

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-american-eagle/

H004AE.jpg

Dang...that there's a purdy rifle.  Guess you could shoot that in the Prairie Pimp category. :lol:

I've got my Golden Boy that Widder and Slater worked over and I like it!

Kajun

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

Hum....not one mention of a Marlin 39A?

Bugler

RED CENT:  thanks for posting that pic.   That is a beautiful rifle you got there.

BUGLER:   I hadn't noticed,  but no doubt the 39 is a classic.   I once owned the 39M and its probably

one of my most 'I sure miss that little rifle'  memorable little rifles, along with my High Standard Victor.

..........Widder

My vote is:  The Henry 22 rifles - smooth actions and Customer Service cannot be beat

* Have had a Golden Golden Boy since when they 1st were introduced. Many boxes of 22LR's down the bore with excellent groups.

* Re, their Service: I reload 22 LR cases with black powder and a clone of the old UMC Match bullets from a custom mold.  The ogive on the UMC's are a fatter caliber and not a tapered nose like the 22 bullets on the market.  These reloads would not chamber and stove piped.  I contacted Henry with the issues - they sent me a FedEx box for free shipping.  Henry 're-engineered' the lifter - case stop and chamber feed slope & opening to perfectly chamber the UMC black powder reloads with no scraped bullet noses.  Sent me back a brand new re-engineered rifle - free of charge within a 3 week time frame that shoots my BP's and commercial smokeless rounds

Name me one other gun company that would provide such a Service as Henry did for me, free of charge and a quick turn around with a new rifle.  Also add: Made in the US of A!

My daughter has the youth model Henry 22 - neat gun and nice wood.

Thinking of getting this simply because I like the silver-chrome finish and it has the stamp of Evil Roy. Kinda of a fan ;)

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-frontier-carbine-evil-roy-edition/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/henry-frontier-carbine-evil-roy-edition/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

evil roy.JPG

I've had the privilege of handling a Widder Magic Henry with the Slater trigger.  I can say it is the finest .22 I've ever handled.  I own a 9422 and have had a couple of the BL22's and Widder's .22 puts them all to shame.  I did ask Widder to work on my 9422 and he snickered.  I still like my 9422 because it is a real Winchester.  I own a 9417 which is a fine gun but it actually isn't a Winchester by purest standards but I like it.  Rambled a little bit, back on subject.  If you ever have the chance to get a Henry Widder 22 my advice is jump on it like a frog on a fly. 

Whiskey Hayes

• 2 weeks later...

Shot Widder’s Henry couple days ago. Compared to my Marlin 39 have to now go looking to add to my grandchildren’s  collection.

Major Bill dropped by yesterday on his way to the KY State.

I thought I would tease him a little so I brought out my Henry .22 for him to shoot.

The feller has an enormous smile, especially while firing away with that .22

This year, the plan is to donate to Wartrace a Henry Golden Boy YOUTH model, all slicked up with the 'Soft Stroke' mods and Slater's trigger work.

Good luck to everyone.

..........Widder

I purchased a Marlin model 39 Mountie a few years ago. For my grandsons, the 20 inch barrel is perfect for young kids.

With the 20 inch barrel it swings well, and is fast.

It didn't have the factory scope with it. Cant use a scope for SASS anyway.

Since we are talking about Henry .22’s I’d like to mention the stock I got for my grandson’’ Ruger 10/22 Takedown. It’s made by Adaptive Tactical...:P

Seriously though, I have yet to buy a Henry .22. I will need to remedy that.

I know it looks hokey to some but I think this one is a good looking rifle. It’s the American Eagle. As far as I can tell it’s the Silver Eagle with painted and engraved wood. 

EC83FFB6-5786-4AB2-AA8C-12E8FE675DE0.thumb.jpeg.4917719499a7f90fa530703b063feb4f.jpegFFA3BE82-7307-43F5-8A2A-B3A2ED57C7A2.jpeg.2a802a67af031e2e7d87044117067c7a.jpegCB438177-C68B-4107-A2F3-20B0A43B9DC7.jpeg.f94f5fb4995e27d1dbb61b9b218d0c47.jpeg03DB0C9E-D8FA-4F6B-AD44-CC070FDEE1E8.jpeg.1e0f2cf6436f56cd989da63fdc15d860.jpegAFCBD097-7215-4A14-A2B2-05D54A60D301.jpeg.ad30f0b4ecf33bc03ead09ff7c0d52f5.jpeg

20550FCC-22F3-4577-8095-A940073A28E9.jpeg

Howdy Pat.

From the 'few' I have seen and handled,  that particular silver 'frame' style is call 'Golden Boy Silver' by Henry Arms.  I'm talking about the receiver/frame style, not the complete rifle you posted.

The 'Silver Eagle' is the same receiver but with engraving and an Eagle is part of the engraving.

I donated the 'Golden Boy Silver' last year to the TN State for their raffle.

In my opinion, the Silver Eagle is one of their nicest looking rifles.   I have the Evil Roy model and love its

13" youth length stock and 16" Octagon barrel.

If you check out the 2nd post in this thread by GOODY, he posted a pic of the Silver Eagle.

My opinion... Henry makes a real nice .22 lever rifle.   There are NO plastic parts inside of them, as some have 

rumored.    BUT, early in their making, the carrier was plastic.  I have seen a couple of them and even the

plastic carriers are holding up well.

What is funny is that I have heard numerous folks not liking the Henry .22 because it has an aluminum 

carrier.     WHAT?   They gotta be kidding me.   I tell them their high dollar 66 and 73's have either

aluminum or brass carrier, which makes them realize their thinking is flawed... :)

I've put approx 5000 rounds thru mine since modifying it and it still runs better than ever.

That aluminum carrier does not wear out.

I also own a nice 9244.   My Henry is smoother, slicker and every bit as reliable.

Ye owe it to yeowndangself to get one.  Go ahead... spend the $$ and get yeself a real nice lever .22 rifle.

They are a blast.

..........Widder

On 4/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I have had a few different ones.....but my favorite is a older Winchester 9422.....they are out there and worth the $$.

With apologies to Marlin, I also have a sweet little model 39 Century LTD in .22.....made in 1970 and had to be tuned.  Initially it was a rough one.  Never considered it for CAS, its just that old rifle that always was in camp, shot by many and loved by all. The Winchester never needed work, it was so smooth on day one.

I agree completely with on the 9422!  Got it for my son from Bass on sale for $350 10 years ago and wished I bought another in .22 mag!  If I had the $700-1100 now I still would but I have an 1895 that I have to buy first!  

I'm with Bugler wine me, dine me, 39 me

That said, thanx to all you pushers here, I'm lookin for one of those henry's

model 39.jpg

Archived