SASS Wire Forum

What would happen to me?

Alpo

I had a dream.

I was in the customer service at Walmart. I guess it was Halloween. These five guys show up. Two were dressed as lizards of some sort. One was dressed as Skeletor, including a skeleton mask. One was an Arab in bright red robes. His burnoose was gigantic - like something off a Sid and Marty Krofft show, or those giant foam cowboy hats. And the last guy was dressed as the captain of the Serenity or the Firefly or whatever the heck that ship's name was in the series.

Except that he looked like Brendan Fraser, not Nathan whoever

They were all acting kind of hinky, so I kept watching them. Then the Arab pulls out an Uzi from under his robes, and the captain brings a pistol out from under his duster. The Arab is yelling something about Allah Akbar and jihad, and the captain is yelling for nobody to move.

I pull my gun and shoot both of them.

The Arab falls down and doesn't say anything else. Brendan Fraser falls down and start screaming "you shot me!"

As he's laying there bleeding and crying, he says that it was all a prank.

Then I woke up to go pee.

More interesting dreams end that way. :(

If it had not been a dream. Here in Florida I think I would have been fine. I feared that my life was in danger so I shot him. Stand Your Ground.

How about in other places? We have an Alabama cop, a Colorado cop, and a California cop. We have a Texas lawyer, a Tennessee lawyer, and a Massachusetts lawyer. I'm sure there are others but I know we have those six.

Where y'all live, how much trouble would I be in?

You're good here. Probably get an nice hero award from the sheriff.

5 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

In MA, he would have gotten 100 yeas in the electric chair just for having the gun.

Well, not quite that bad.....

Since there is no doubt that you shot both victims, the focus would be on issues of justification and self-defense/defense of others.  The police and the prosecutor would make a judgment regarding whether you were truly and reasonably (from their point of view) in fear of death or serious bodily harm as a result of the actions of each victim.  Yelling "Allah Akbar" or "Nobody move", and brandishing what appeared to be a dangerous weapon, may be enough to get you there.  Or maybe not.  Or maybe as to one victim and not as to the other.  Yelling "Nobody move" may have been the Captain's way of trying to stop the Arab from harming others; depending upon the reasonableness of your interpretation of his intent, you may have shot an innocent Good Samaritan who was trying to prevent a crime.  There are a ton of other issues to address - from the ridiculousness of the appearance of the group, should you have understood that it was a stunt, not a criminal threat?  Were their guns real, and were they loaded?  Were there visual clues (like an orange tip, or a clearly plastic barrel, or some other indication that the guns were fake?  Did you (and could you ) attempt to use lesser force?  

Given the local politics, nobody with a gun, and certainly no one who shoots two people, will walk away without a long, hard look, and you would probably be charged. In this corner of the country, the police and the prosecutors are, for the most part, not friends of gun owners (or at least their elected bosses are not).   You are going to need a good criminal defense lawyer.  

Was there one of those in your dream? 

LL

I will obtain statements from everyone and observe the security tapes. Too many questions and holes in the story so far. Once finished will present the case to my prosecutor who will grand jury it. They will either yellow sheet or true bill the case. I also will advise you the Miranda and advise to exercise it and remain silent. (because I like you)  Will also use your above statement as evidence against you. Once I have held you in custody for no longer than 20 hours you will be released. You should obtain an attorney and see if your above statement can be suppress as evidence. It will be used against you. A search warrant will be obtained for your persons and residence for possible further evidence of a crime committed by you.

AS a side note, Alpo, your dreams will cause your demise. :lol:

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

AS a side note, Alpo, your dreams will cause your demise. :lol:

Well, yeah. I'm purty sure that if I keep dreaming, I'm gonna die.

But then, I'm also purty sure that if I keep breathing, I'm gonna die.

In Oregon you'd be fine if not in Portland. In Portland? Who knows...

In California it would depend on if you were legally carrying, which county you were in AND which law enforcement agency has jurisdiction.  AND if you had a carry license AND myriad other things that the law knows about but the average Joe doesn't. If in any major city, you'd be in deep crap.

Yeah, but you shot Brendan Fraser, my favorite actor next to Steven Segal.

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Then key is to keep breathing...:D

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Alpo, I have investigated more than 1,600 deaths and they all had one thing in common, they were not breathing. Don't know about dreaming though, have no idea? :rolleyes:

I don't care where you are, you don't need to know if the guns were real or loaded. Not even in California. It is all about perception and intent. But it's going to cost you in lawyer's fees no matter what, even if you were right. It gets down to, if you think you are going to die, then shoot.

As an ex-cop and an ex-armored truck driver, we had to think about these things every day, and plan ahead. You can't be measuring all the pros and cons in the moment of crisis, or you will probably die.

In California, what Pat sez.

Plus you'd better hope by Golly that they're bona fide natural citizens... if they're "illegal" citizens you'd be in deep yogurt.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

Yeah, but you shot Brendan Fraser, my favorite actor next to Steven Segal.

I don't think I've ever seen Brandon Fraser next to Steven Segal.

Self defense and defense of others have different standards.  I suspect you would stand trial in Tennessee and would be convicted of some crime in all the larger cities and walk free in all the smaller ones.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
10 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

In MA, he would have gotten 100 yeas in the electric chair just for having the gun.

NOPE In mass there is no death penalty. You would live in comfort with all the special people.:rolleyes:

The prosecuting lawyer will crucify you from your own words.

YOU noticed these guys were different.  YOU noticed details that most folks would never have noticed.

YOU sensed something strange.    YOU noticed they were not 'returning' anything to Customer

Service......... yet you continued to stand there amongst them ready to show the world that you

had a gun and knew how to use it.    YOU were hoping they would make a move so you could waste them.

The one whom you determined was 'ARAB' warranted your shooting with a 'Kill shot' but the other, who 

you thought looked like a favorite hollywood star, you only wounded.    You killed one out of prejudice and wounded

the other out of favoritism.

And that would be the Prosecuting Lawyers neck tie for you.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

You really need to get out more!

We're probably all better off that I don't!

Archived