SASS Wire Forum

Best park sign ever

Gray Drifter

Signs? I don’t want some kid having to eat crappy macaroni and cheese due to my sign!

I doubt I will get a sign. Actually, I really wouldn’t want one.

In order for a sign to be placed publicly it must be approved by a committee. Once approved by a committee the sign must be ordered and a ceremony must be planned and scheduled. There will inevitably be postponements and rescheduling, usually due to one or two bureaucrats that need to reschedule. Oh, not for any real reason, just to reschedule so that look busy. It feeds their ego to look important. But, before the bureaucrats can muck things up there are other things going on behind the scenes. 

While this is going on, a sign maker gets an order and he gets to work. He designs a sign on paper to show to the committee. The committee cannot decide on the design so they ask for a few different samples. The sign maker complies and makes several samples then let’s a meeting coordinator know so they can schedule a meeting. The committee members, not wanting to feel unimportant all strategically cancel at some point or another so the meeting(s) get delayed for days or even weeks. 

Eventually everyone gets together and a sign design is agreed to. The right material for the sign is bandied about for at least an hour until the original idea is settled upon. The mounting process and location takes another hour or two to decide upon even though it was decided much earlier but after several hours the frustrated sign maker goes on his or her merry way to complete the sign.

The big day arrives and there is, FINALLY!, a ceremony. 

Lots of hustle and bustle and finally one or two bureaucrats making long speeches finding ways to take credit for the sign, the ceremony and even the acts of the person the sign is commemorating. They get their moment in the sun and there is much “Praise for the non-participants”

Then the ceremony is over and everyone goes home.

The poor sign maker, who was not invited to the ceremony, submits a bill, which goes unpaid for a couple of months. They finally have to take a few hours and go visit the committee members to get paid. The sign maker is told to resubmit the invoice. This is not the only invoice the sign maker has pending and things are getting pretty tight for the sign maker. Bills are past due and his or her family are eating less meat and more generic foods, like store brand macaroni and cheese made with margarine and powdered milk.

At every turn there is an issue with the invoice. After several months the sign maker can no longer stay afloat because half their time is spent trying to get paid.

The sign maker goes out of business.:(

So, I don’t want a sign. I don’t want a sign maker going out of business on my account and I sure as hell don’t want to promote bureaucrats and their bureaucracy. I sure as hell don’t want any kid having to eat that crappy cheap macaroni and cheese so, I do not want any signs. :D

Archived