SASS Wire Forum

Terms I find annoying

When hitting the checkout counter and the little girl behind the counters says "did you find everything OK",  I usually respond with:  "Yes, I did, but I don't know about the stuff you hid".  Usually,  the clerk will respond with:  But, we didn't hide anything, and I respond with "how should I know that"  

If you want to have some fun, the next time the checkout clerk asks if you paying with check or card, ask them if they will take US Currency.  I've had several ask me to wait while the go and check with their boss.  

last one:  when ordering things over the phone, and you give them your name, the clerk will almost always ask: can you  spell it.  I will respond with a simple YES, and stop right there and wait.  The is always a long pause, sometimes even a little giggle.  You can almost hear the brain wheels turning in their heads when they realize that I responded with the correct answer, and that they asked the wrong question.

Retirement is really a golden time.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Buffalo existed elsewhere in the world long before 1758.  Linnaeus has never seen one, he just New the were big beasts with horns.  When he saw these large beasts on the American Plains, he drew the conclusion that they were buffalo.

we are lucky that in his ignorance he didn’t call them rhinoceros.

Marshal Mohare!!!   Linnaeus ignorant!!!!!!!!!  Holy Smokes!   A brilliant Swedish naturalist (aka wizard of biological sciences) Linnaeus based his description on the European Wisant whom he also described as Bison bonasus.   Ole Carl stuck with his binomial nomenclature which he developed and the word buffalo in America was familiar to him only as a common moniker.  Ergo, the French provided the term Boeauf which lapsed into the very accepted label of Buffalo that we've used in history books and common publications for hundreds of years. 

My gripe is that while we've known the correct name since Carl L. and have used it when appropriately it seems that some of the PC crowd have only recently decided to include it in their narrative of revisionism.

When and if I ever write another scientific paper that may require inclusion of B. bison as a species of interest, the correct latin name will be, of course, used.  However, I refuse to use it in common everyday language and in the context of American History.  

Actually, a lot of grammar mistakes annoy me. If I had to pick a totally useless word it would actually be actually. Just forget it exists. If you use it, think, "would that sentence still make sense and be grammatically correct without it?" The answer will be yes. Please feel free to actually prove me wrong. ;)

"Actually is a useless word" is a complete sentence and makes sense.

"Is a useless word" is sentence fragment with no subject, and doesn't make sense.

Thank you, thank you very much. I'm here every evening and do two shows on Saturday. B)

I have a couple of grammar ones that don't bother me but I always think of one of my high school teachers, Mrs. Percy.

"Well, I'm done."

Mrs. Percy:  "Biscuits are done; people are finished."

Another one she would correct: "For free."

Mrs. Percy would say, you never need to put the word "for" before "free."

I was an English teacher and thought about writing a couple of books entitled A More Better Way To Gooder Inglish and What College Lerned Me.

I really upset a professor when I was in college.  She was carrying on about where people are getting  "where it's at".  I raised my hand and when she called on me I said" Don't worry about it Doctor Jarvis.  Most of us don't know where it's at either." Later on she told me that after supper she told her husband about and he cracked up.  Then she got it.

10 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

"Actually is a useless word" is a complete sentence and makes sense.

"Is a useless word" is sentence fragment with no subject, and doesn't make sense.

Thank you, thank you very much. I'm here every evening and do two shows on Saturday. B)

How's the veal?

On 4/18/2019 at 6:49 AM, Warden Callaway said:

I have to work at being grammatically correct.   The works of Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn,  Tom Sawyer is my first language.  I loved the "Me & Joe" stories by Sketter Skelton.  I'll try to clean up my act but sometimes I just like to laps into my first language.   

I'm not sure I could be grammatically correct even if I worked at it. Has been near 60 years since my last schooling in proper English. If I remember correctly , I wasn't exactly a genius at it then.:lol:

By the way , Warden , that is Skeeter. 

Rex , a long-time fan of his. :D

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

LOL!  Its always been fashionable in the South!  Glad y'all    are adjusting to the use!

:) I'm talking about a yankee who uses it in an attempt to come across as a down to earth good ol' boy, or gal.

Archived