SASS Wire Forum

Jeopardy Champion

Yul Lose

Our current Jeopardy champion set another record last Wednesday!  He completed the entire show without missing a single answer!  41 “questions” and none wrong for the whole show!

That’s 41 correct out of a possible 61, (including the Final Jeopardy response) chances without a miss!  

Pretty incredible!!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven’t watched since Thursday but based on tonight’s show he hasn’t slowed down any.

The guy is incredible but I think it makes it awful boring to watch. Like I've said before, every game is a blowout. I see no fun in watching that.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The guy is incredible but I think it makes it awful boring to watch. Like I've said before, every game is a blowout. I see no fun in watching that.

I’m waiting for one of his early wagers to do him in. If he wagers everything or most of it early and has the wrong answer and loses big a good player could beat him and IMHO, that’s the only way he’ll lose. He has a pretty good knowledge of most subjects that come up and I’m pretty sure the Jeopardy folks will key in on his weaknesses to find a legitimate challenger and hope he’ll lose on an early wager.

He's amazing but it just takes 1 bad day with categories not in his wheelhouse and someone else having a great day and some luck. There have been a few others who went after the high dollar answers first as a strategy but you have to come up with the correct responces or it doesnt matter.

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m waiting for one of his early wagers to do him in. If he wagers everything or most of it early and has the wrong answer and loses big a good player could beat him and IMHO, that’s the only way he’ll lose. He has a pretty good knowledge of most subjects that come up and I’m pretty sure the Jeopardy folks will key in on his weaknesses to find a legitimate challenger and hope he’ll lose on an early wager.

I saw one show last week where he missed the first Daily Double with around $6,000 and about half that in the lead.  He went to Zero and before the first round was over, he'd caught back up and when Double Jeopardy started, he just steadily pulled away.  

He could crack $1,000,000.00 today if he has a good day!!

What was the Final Jeopardy answer that ended Ken Jennings' run??

The Final Jeopardy! category was Business & Industry, and the clue was "Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only four months a year." Jennings appeared perplexed during the time allowed to write a response, while Zerg finished her response quickly. Zerg responded correctly with "What is H&R Block?" and wagered $4,401 of her $10,000, giving her a $1 lead over Jennings with his response still to be revealed. Jennings incorrectly responded with "What is FedEx?" and lost the game with a final score of $8,799 after his $5,601 wager was deducted from his score. After his response was revealed to be incorrect, the audience audibly gasped and it caused Nancy to be shocked after finding out that she won. He was awarded $2,000 for his second-place finish, which gave him a final total of $2,522,700 for his run on Jeopardy!. Zerg, whom Jennings called a "formidable opponent," finished in third place on the next show. The audience gave a standing ovation in honor of both contestants, and Trebek called Zerg a "giant killer" as Jennings embraced her.

Ya know... it's an odd thing, but consider this:  these shows were taped something like three months ago...  :rolleyes:

The beat goes on.

He topped the Million mark last night.:o I was watching the Indians game but checking out Jeopardy on the commercials. 

Has he pulled a cliff clavin yet?  If I'm ever on jeapordy and have an insurmountable lead in the final, I'm going to answer "Who is someone who has never been in my kitchen?".  Of course, I'm going to wager $0, so it won't be exactly the same. 

As a former “one and done” contestant on the show I can tell you that pushing that damn button first is the hardest part of the game.  On the game I was on all three of us knew most of the answers but the frustrating thing was to try to time it so you pressed the buzzer just as the light (visible only to the players) came on when Alex finishes asking the question/answer. It was maddening finding out that what I had believed to be a mostly intellectual exercise was also such an important physical one as well.  Of course anyone who’s seen me shoot a match could have predicted what happened to me!  

Seamus

3 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

As a former “one and done” contestant on the show I can tell you that pushing that damn button first is the hardest part of the game.  On the game I was on all three of us knew most of the answers but the frustrating thing was to try to time it so you pressed the buzzer just as the light (visible only to the players) came on when Alex finishes asking the question/answer. It was maddening finding out that what I had believed to be a mostly intellectual exercise was also such an important physical one as well.  Of course anyone who’s seen me shoot a match could have predicted what happened to me!  

Seamus

Interesting, I always wondered how that worked.

When you were on did Alex ask you about CAS??? I remember a SASS member being on there. Was that you??

Rye,

No, this was in the late ‘90’s, before my SASS involvement.  The staff does rehearse you a bit about what tidbit Alex will ask each player about. We discussed how I’d done a three month solo motorcycle trip through Europe (when I was between wives.)  When I told him my wife Karen insisted that when we travel there together we employ more conventional transportation he suggested I get a bike with a sidecar!  If I’d made it to a second game I planned on telling him how I was skeptical about his prospects as a “new guy” host when he first replaced the great Art Fleming in 1984.  Not sure how much he’d have cared for that. 

Seamus

Does anyone know who the SASS guy was that was on the show a few years ago??

James had a down night last night but he’s still the winner. Had a couple of things happened there would be a new champion and for just a little bit I thought the second place guy might do it because he answered some pretty tough ones and hit a double in double jeopardy. My wife is with you, Rye, she says the show is pretty boring watching James win the way he does.

James personality on the show has peaked my interest in it during the past couple weeks.

Most of all, I enjoy how he bets on those Daily Double's and the Final Jeopardy question.

He ain't afraid to bet 'their' money.   Last night (Tuesday,  OPPS I mean WED), he bet $30,000 on the final question.... and of course,

he got it.

I wonder if they've (the show personal) have checked him out to see if he's wired.

I think they need to ask him who shot Kennedy...... heck, he knows everything..... ;)

..........Widder

9 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

James personality on the show has peaked my interest in it during the past couple weeks.

Most of all, I enjoy how he bets on those Daily Double's and the Final Jeopardy question.

He ain't afraid to bet 'their' money.   Last night (Tuesday), he bet $30,000 on the final question.... and of course,

he got it.

I wonder if they've (the show personal) have checked him out to see if he's wired.

I think they need to ask him who shot Kennedy...... heck, he knows everything..... ;)

..........Widder

I’m with you, Widder, James’s personality is intriguing. I do feel for the other two contestants though, it’s kinda like me going up against Matt Black in a shoot off.

Reached almost a million and a quarter in 16 days!!  His final wager yesterday was $35,000.00+!

His opponents develop the deer in the headlights look early in the second round and he knows it, some even earlier. 

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I stopped watching.

I did too! It's boring to me!

I've kinda made it a point to stop whatever I'm doing and relax for 30 minutes while

watching the "James Show"... :lol:

He normally has about $5K before the other contestants have $200.  

He stated a couple days ago that he plans to use some of his winnings for Children Charities.

And he stated yesterday that he's learned most of his answers in Childrens books at the Library.

All I ever learned from Childrens books was about Jack and Jill going to the top of the hill for water.

I never figured that out because water runs downhill..... atleast here in E.TN.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I stopped watching.

To each his own. I like it more now than ever.

If James, the current champion keeps winning like he is he’ll set the record in his 32nd or 33rd appearance. He’s halfway there in games. I can’t help but think his wild early wagering will do him in if there is a really, really good player he’s up against, that may be all that will beat him.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

If James, the current champion keeps winning like he is he’ll set the record in his 32nd or 33rd appearance. He’s halfway there in games. I can’t help but think his wild early wagering will do him in if there is a really, really good player he’s up against, that may be all that will beat him.

I agree.    His wagers on the Daily Doubles has been a HUGE asset for him.   If other contestants can manage to

hit a couple of them during the game, it could make it very interesting on the last bet.

Friday evening:  first half and he is already a few 'K' ahead.

..........Widder

Today, he didn't hit a single Daily Double!  The other players each caught one and missed the response and the player who caught the last one only wagered $1,000.00 on it. Neither of the other players got the Final Jeopardy response correct.  James did and pulled down $49,600.00 for the day.  Over a million and a quarter in 17 days!!

It was a runaway agin today, even WITH his not getting a single Daily Double!! Even if he'd missed the Final answer, his $20,000.00 wagger would have left him with a $400.00 lead over his closest competitor had she bet everything and gotten the correct response.

Between his tactical game and the amazing compendium of knowledge he possesses, he makes it fun for me to watch!!

He didn’t hit either one in double jeopardy and still came out on top, not nearly as big but a win anyway.

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

He didn’t hit either one in double jeopardy and still came out on top, not nearly as big but a win anyway.

Yep!  He usually gets a big jump by catching that first Daily Double and putting a comfortable distance between himself and his competition. Today, the opponent in second place got that first DD.  He too went all in, but failed to get it right!!  Had he been correct he would have been within a couple hundred bucks of the lead, but he went to ZERO and never really recovered!

Like I said, he didn't catch a single DD all day today!  Still made it a runaway!!

That was close. James won by $18.00 tonight. 

On a bad day he still pulls down over $52,000.00!!  The other guy did really well too!!  A shame he only took home $2,000.00 for that kind of an effort!!

Okay, I've read the thread up til now, but I gotta stop.  Im, a day behind in Jeopardy recordings and I don't want to hear about him losing on here before I actually see his streak end! But I'm with Yul--I like watching the guy play.  He's definitely learned how to play with house money!

2 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Okay, I've read the thread up til now, but I gotta stop.  Im, a day behind in Jeopardy recordings and I don't want to hear about him losing on here before I actually see his streak end! But I'm with Yul--I like watching the guy play.  He's definitely learned how to play with house money!

I’m thinking his streak is coming to an end after last nights show. 

Archived